It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Who has improved by switching meds?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-05-2007, 03:34 PM   #1
    ThyroidShmyroid
    (male)

ThyroidShmyroid HB User
    Who has improved by switching meds?

Hey everyone -

Anyone who has spent time in these forums know that a recurring theme is those people who continue to have or develop hypothyroid symptoms while already on some form of medication.

I have been on Synthroid for 3 years and continue to have a long list of frustrating and in some cases debilitating symptoms.

There is part of me that wonders if the meds I am on are just the best that can be done given that my body has decided for some reason to trash my thyroid. If that is the case, I just wish my docs would say that rather than implying that all these symptoms are purely psychological in nature). But I am considering traveling far afield to a doctor who has a reputation for being open to treatments besides T4 only.

Can anyone share stories about how much, if at all, they improved by switching to a new medication? (For example, Synthroid to Armour or vice versa, Cytomel etc.) How much did you improve, a little or a lot? What symptoms improved, eg. was it only psychological symptoms that improved or physical ones too?

For the record, here is a list of my personal symptoms. Obviously, everyone is different. Anyone had any luck recovering from any of these by swapping meds?

1) muscle weakness, twitching and spasming (the worst symptom for me)
    2) neuropathic pain (ulnar nerves especially)
    3) hotness and pins and needles in the right arm and leg
    4) back pain
    5) heart palpitations
    6) post nasal drip (constant mucus at the back of throat)
    7) dizziness
    8) flu like feeling
    9) exercise intolerance
    10) sensation of a lump in the throat
    11) insomnia
    12) nervous tension and eye tic
    13) headaches

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2007, 04:50 PM   #2
    sandradee0303
    (female)

sandradee0303 HB User
    Re: Who has improved by switching meds?

Hi, I switched from Synthroid to Armour. Major difference. I am now on 5 grains armour and my muscle pain (fibromyalgia) is barely noticeable!!! I felt considerably worse on the synthroid. I also have more energy and better moods. No swings for me and I am a premenopausal women.

I also take lots of vit c, b12, zinc, a good multi and good fish oil.

sandradee

Old 04-05-2007, 04:56 PM   #3
    ErinBeth
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ErinBeth HB User

When did you last have labs done? What labs were done? What were the results, including ranges?

Does your doctor order labs periodically, including when you report lingering symptoms? Do you receive dose increases based on lab results and symptoms?

I'm just wondering if you just might be under-medicated.

Old 04-05-2007, 05:40 PM   #4
    tiredofbingsick
    (female)

tiredofbingsick HB User

I have taken levothyroxin, synthroid, and synthroid + cytomel and still feel like $^!#. The synthroid + cytomel made me feel better a few hours a day, then by afternoon and evening, I felt even more wiped out! I am currently on 62.5 mcg of Synthroid only, with at least 11 of the symptoms you listed above + some more! I thought maybe I was undermedicated, but my heart rate is very fast lately. I would love to hear from others as well...maybe I am on the wrong med! I am especially curious to hear from those who switched from Synthroid to Armour.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:52 AM   #5
    ThyroidShmyroid
    (male)

ThyroidShmyroid HB User

Responding to Erinbeth's last point:

My last test was done on March 16, 2007, with the following results:

TSH: 3.77 pmol/L (3.5 - 6.5)
    FT3: 4.9 miu/L (3.5 - 6.5)
    FT4: 20 pmol/L (9 - 23)

TSH at 3.77 is as a result of dropping my Synthroid dose from 175 mcg to 150 mcg ... I wanted to see if some of the symptoms I was having were because I was actually slightly hyperthyroid. My previous tests were something like TSH at 0.9, and FT4 at 24, just one notch over the normal limit.

But symptoms seemed to get worse, if anything, when I dropped my dose. So I am returning to the 175 mcg. As best as I have been able to determine so far, I like my TSH as low as I can get it. But I am not symptom free even when I get there.

The frustration is, these symptoms are somewhat cyclical, with the exception of arm and leg pain, which is constant for me. I have heard it said that this is the result of your antibodies attacking the thyroid in waves. If is this is true, it makes it difficult to determine whether a change of dosage / meds has caused improvement or deterioration of symptoms, or if the improvement / deterioration is just a result of some change in the intensity of the antibody attack ...

Old 04-06-2007, 08:33 AM   #6
    ErinBeth
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ErinBeth HB User

Thanks for posting the labs. You really are having a tough time. Given what you have said, it seems logical to me to try to persuade the doctor to add T3 in some fashion to see if that would help. Your FT3 lab shows room for some adjustment there.

From what I have seen here, this is such an individual thing, different people feeling better at different levels within the ranges. I'm sure you can find plenty of stories of the experiences of others, but the only way to find out what works for you or not is to get a physician to work with you to find out. With intermittent symptoms, it probably won't be an easy process and you'll probably have more success if you take baby steps and give sufficient time between labs and adjustments to see how each change affects you.

I hope you have a knowledgeable doctor who is willing to work with you to see if some balance of both T4 and T3 hormone supplement can help you. If not, if I were you, I would want to hear a good reason why not ... some valid concern about my particular medical condition, for instance.

Closed Thread