It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• What should I expect at first visit?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-20-2007, 08:48 AM   #1
    maegen
    (female)

maegen HB User
    What should I expect at first visit?

Hello,
    My doctor told me that I have a TSH level of .01 and the ultrasoud came back abnormal. They said it looked to them like a goiter. They are sending me to an endocrinologist and the appointment is the 24th of april (I had it moved up from may 15th) and I was wandering what to expect at my first visit. Will it be just more tests and will they give me any meds. to help with my symptoms? Any advice or information about your experiances would be helpful. I'm a little nervous.

Thanks,
    Maegen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2007, 11:30 AM   #2
    K9Mom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

K9Mom HB User
    Re: What should I expect at first visit?

A good endo will take a thorough history of symptoms you have been having (mood swings, hot flashes, diarrhea, hair falling out, etc) They should have you drink a sip of water while they palpate (feel) your thyroid gland. They will be feeling for any nodules you might have. They should explain the ultrasound report to you and give you a copy of your radiology and labs for you to keep in a file at home of your own (that you are going to start ).

The endo may measure your eyes to see if there is any proptosis (bulging) and record those measurements in your chart. They should also look at your shins to see if you have any signs of pretibial myxedema.

By the way, a "goiter" is just a fancy medical term for an enlarged thyroid so don't let that worry you.

Over 80 percent of the time hyperthyroidism is caused by Graves disease. With a TSH of .01 you are hyperthyroid. They **SHOULD** run a TSI (thyroid stimulating immunoglobulin) on you to see if you carry the antibodies that cause Graves...so they can definitively diagnose Graves. Other good tests to have run are a TPO (Thyroid Peroxidase) antibodies, Free T4, Free T3 and a new TSH.

Part of being hyper is that we tend to over-react and are very emotional. It's hard to control while your thyroid levels are out of whack, but trust me, it will get better once you get on anti-thyroid meds. Most likely they will push you to do RAI (radioactive iodine ablation to kill your thyroid gland). I highly recommend that you ask for the meds first - let the meds work to get you normalized first - use this time to research Graves/hyperthyroidism - THEN decide what kind of treatment you want to pursue. I believe our brains are much too messed up when hyper to make any kind of life-long decision regarding treatment.

Also, you should consider picking up the book "Thyroid for Dummies" by Dr. Alan Rubin. It's an excellent beginner book and all thyroid patients need to educate themselves so they can assure that they are getting proper treatment from their healthcare provider.

Take care and good luck! Let us know how it goes on the 24th.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
    Bran'sNana
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

K9 is the expert hyper on this board, so everything she says is RIGHT. Especially about being over emotional, you can't make any rash decisions when you're still hyper, your mind can be all messed up. It straightens out with the meds. He'll do a series of blood tests like k 9 said and maybe the paper test too. It shows a tremor(normal if you're hyper) you spread your fingers apart, thumbs touching, then unspread them and he puts a sheet of paper over them, and it shakes like crazy!! You'll be fine, just look up hyper thyroid on the internet and read all you can about it.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:50 PM   #4
    maegen
    (female)

maegen HB User

Thanks everybody for the information and support. It feels good to know that I'm not in this alone. I will keep you posted.

Thanks,
    Maegen

Closed Thread