It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Question about thyroid/quitting smoking

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-26-2007, 02:41 PM   #1
    Sonya60
    (female)

Sonya60 HB User
    Question about thyroid/quitting smoking

Hi my name is Sonya I am 46 yrs old and I have had Hashis for 20 yrs.
    I take two meds Synthyroid 175 and Cytomel 12.5 each day.

I quit smoking 9 weeks ago I am due to have my thyroid checked in May I am curious if anyones had a similiar situation and if so did your meds get all screwed up since quitting smoking?

I have not gained weight because when I decided to quit smoking I joined a gym two weeks before and that way I had a outlet to the smoking in the meantime its now 11 weeks later and I love the gym LOL.

I have no idea what to expect my meds dosage has been the same for the last 4 yrs no increase no decrease so no battling that at all.

Thanks,
    Sonya

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2007, 02:46 PM   #2
    adj76
    (female)

adj76 HB User
    Re: Question about thyroid/quitting smoking

Just wondering how you are feeling? Any hypo symptoms coming on that you notice? I am a smoker and really should quit, so I am curious to see how this goes for you. Although I am not leveled yet, so if I quit now I may not know if my symptoms are because of that or just because. Keep us posted how your labs come out this time around.
    And CONGRATS on quitting smoking!!!! That's a big conquest!
    Good luck,
    Angela

Old 04-26-2007, 04:10 PM   #3
    Sonya60
    (female)

Sonya60 HB User

I am so glad I quit but I did this with the new drug Chantix it works great and my primary care had told me so many patients had asked for it they were monitoring the progress and believe it or not most were quitting within 2 months of being on the meds. Its actually a 3 month plan I quit on day 11 of the meds but am still taking my 3rd month of the pills.
    Its pricy but about the same as smoking as far as cost goes.

I feel great I never realized how much smoking for my whole life was dragging me down I feel like a new person.
    I did not have many side effects not alot of coughing etc some just not alot.

So far no symptoms other than I go to bed early now I think thats the exercise everyday though not the thyroid.

Good luck if I can quit so can you.

Sonya

Old 04-26-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
    loretta38
    Veteran
    (female)

loretta38 HB User

Sonya - is it something your doctor has to prescribe for you? I need to quit smoking so bad. My Dad just died at 77 years old from Obstructive pulmonary lung disease and dementia - He smoked for 45 years. Quit when he was 60 - but it was too late. I have smoked for 20 years now - Gosh - I have to quit. My brother did the buzz in the ear thing and that worked for him - So I was wondering about this medicine you took - is it a pill or how does it work? Please let me know. Thanks.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:25 PM   #5
    Kharma
    (female)

Kharma HB User

I quit smoking almost 3 1/2 years ago now. A couple months after I quit smoking I felt awful. Tired, dragging, wanting to sleep all the time, depressed, etc. Found out my TSH went to 24 (out of .5-5.0 range). Until then, my TSH had been stable for years on synthroid. Dr. switched me over to Armour at that point and gradually things got better.

I was getting anxiety attacks, heart palpitations (still get those although they're getting better), hair was falling out, I was wired all the time but still tired. They tested and I found out I had Hashi's. Best they can figure is the Hashi's flared up when I quit smoking. For others, quitting smoking triggers Graves Disease.

The only thing that helped me quit was Allen "Easy Way To Quit Smoking" Carr's book. It was honestly a life saver. Nothing else (patches, gum, hypnotherapy, etc) helped me. I've known 3 other people who've also quit after reading it too. One person who read it at my husband's work also quit. Carr is an English author, and his book is not as well known in the states here but if you use an online search engine you can look up barnes & noble (I also looked up barnes & noble UK) & you'll find a ton of reviews about the book.

Quitting is not easy, but no lie, his book made it pretty darn painless for me. And it was a lot cheaper than the gum and patches I had tried before and I haven;t felt a craving to smoke since I stopped.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:18 PM   #6
    loretta38
    Veteran
    (female)

loretta38 HB User

You know a friend of mine gave me a copy of that book and she has quit as well - She gave it to me last year - right before my Graves went out of control - I am going to have to look for it. I have had my Thyroid removed now - so the worse that can happen is it will mess with the replacement meds. Thanks for mentioning that - I don't even know where I put it. But thanks.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:39 AM   #7
    marian100
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marian100 HB User

i stopped smoking last aug but used the patch until sometime in january. i have hashi's and was on the same level of meds for years until this march when my test came back a little hyper. i was taking levoxyl 150mcgs every day. now i take 150mcgs 6 days and 75mgs on sunday. this has happened before. when i went back and got retested i had to back on the original dose. so i don't know if it was the absence of nicotine this time or what it was. i get tested again next month so we'll see. God bless

Old 04-28-2007, 01:04 PM   #8
    pursie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pursie HB User

interesting as i need to quit aswell you knwo something i reckon that stopping smoking in the first palce gave me this disease and i have read alot of posts that also claim thats when they came down with hashis ????mmm i started again but that si really interesting i thougth quitting would make you need mor e meds as the smoking tends to speed things up alittle mm i guess if i quit now it cant give me hashis again as it has alreadt caused it lol let us knwo how it is going as thsi si interesting to alot of us dirty smokers lol hey its getting bad smoking in the pub a and everything theese dyas ???xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxlove rfrom katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 04-28-2007, 09:33 PM   #9
    SRC
    (female)

SRC HB User

Hi. I quit smoking on Feb 22/06. Not even two weeks later I started to get tingling/vibrating in my feet that eventually moved up my entire body plus my thyroid nodules went beserk (according to dr's) and sent me into Hyperthyroid so I had to quit taking my desiccated thyroid and go on anti-thyroid meds and Beta Blockers. Had RAI last September and am now on 125mg Synthroid. Through all of this, I still have the vibrating/buzzing/tingling which is destroying my life it seems.

Odd coincidence the quitting smoking and thyroid explosion. Good luck to any of you who have quit or are thinking of quitting.

Shelley

Old 04-28-2007, 09:44 PM   #10
    jenn3
    (female)

jenn3 HB User

wow, i never knew that quitting smoking could trigger thyroid problems. I never had any problems with my thyroid. I quit smoking and started getting bad anxiety, enlarged thyroid, and alot of other symptoms and it took a few months but by the time it finally showed up in my blood my tsh was up to 79! I never thought that maybe quitting smoking triggered this whole thing??!!
    I wonder why this would happen??
    Jennifer

Old 04-29-2007, 03:10 PM   #11
    Kharma
    (female)

Kharma HB User

My Dr. explained it to me jenn3, but that was so long ago and I felt like such crap I didn't care and didn't pay attention very well LOL.

It was something to do with smoking falsely raising your metabolism and if you're hypo you're medicated for that "range" once you quit your metabolism motors down and all of a sudden you're undermedicated. Now to me though, that doesn't explain why so many people get Graves after quitting, since that would seem to be the opposite.

I've dead serious though, quitting smoking was worth ALL of that. I'd do it again even knowing what was coming up.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:13 AM   #12
    Sonya60
    (female)

Sonya60 HB User

I am due for my labs its been 10 weeks since no cigs so hopefully thats long enough to get a accurate on my labs.
    This week I have had a hard time with a shortness of breath and thick throat feeling like somethings are hard to swallow now I am wondering if the thyroids very screwed up.
    I tell you 20 yrs of this has been an experience thats for sure.

It seems most of you were diagnosed after you quit smoking or am I reading that wrong?

Sonya

Old 05-04-2007, 12:20 PM   #13
    jenn3
    (female)

jenn3 HB User

Kharma
    i agree i am glad i quit smoking also. it's not an easy thing to do.

sonya,
    i sometimes get that thick swallowing feeling too; sometimes like a lump in my throat and a constant drip. Never had it before all this so i am thinking it is related.
    Jennifer

Old 05-04-2007, 04:40 PM   #14
    SRC
    (female)

SRC HB User

In the late 1970's I was experiencing HYPOTHYROID symptoms and tests even indicated it but was not treated (I found this out years later after moving to another city and getting my files from Dr.). In 1986 I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder/OCD and hospitalized ....guess what, think it was my thyroid. In the early '90s a thyroid cyst aspirated, uptake scan done and put on high doses of synthroid to suppress "cyst"....they don't do that anymore! Moved to another province and finally convinced Dr. to lower my dosage because I was waaaay too overmedicated and he agreed; unfortunately I went Hypothyroid and he wouldn't listen. Occasional thyroid scans and ultrasound indicate multiple nodules. Switched doctors and was put on desiccated thyroid. Finally felt not bad, after 20 years!!!

Then last year I quit smoking, thyroid went crazy, RAI the rest is history.

Shelley

p.s. Was at my doctor's for physical this week. He said he's never heard of smoking or quitting smoking causing any problems with thyroid....I didn't want to even argue with him at this point because we're getting nowhere. I'm feeling crappy....thought I'd try the "keep Free's in upper range" even if the TSH is suppressed (which mine is now .07) and I'm feeling hyperthyroid, out of breath when I walk, aching joints and muscles etc etc. Am stopping my synthroid (125 mg) for 3 days to get the dosage out of my system a tad then will start up with the 112 mg.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:51 PM   #15
    mitrix
    (female)

mitrix HB User

Kharma

I quit cold turkey 90 days ago (with Carrís Easy way..). At the beginning it was OK, I only felt a bit uncomfortable and had a bad caught. But after a month or so Iíve started to feel tired and demotivated, and like you started having anxiety attacks, heart palpitations, hot flashes, insomnia and bad digestion. Meanwhile my GP asked me to do all thyroid relevant blood tests and it came out that Iím affected by the autoimmune hypothyroid dysfunction. Iím going to see a doctor tomorrow but am very scared if he is the right one. Iím very happy for my quit and think that smoking had been hiding if not causing my T. dysfunction.

Good luck to all of You, mitrix

Closed Thread