It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Anyone with Anxiety issues - please get this book

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-01-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
    loretta38
    Veteran
    (female)

loretta38 HB User
    Exclamation Anyone with Anxiety issues - please get this book

I know a lot of you know my story - about how I went 10+ years with being mis-diagnosed with Graves. Instead they told me it was a panic disorder - Post partum psychosis - you name it - anything but a problem with my thyroid. I had my daughter in 1997 and the next two years of my life were a living hel*!!!!! I had twenty panic attacks a day. In fact it got to where I could count the times I wasn't having one more than I could the number of panic attacks I was having. Finally one day - I called a hotline that was listed about anxiety issues. They sent me a list of books I could order - I order 12 of them. I read everyone of them. Now - at the time I was seeing a psychiatrist and therapist - was on a very low dose of xanax - taking anti-depressant drugs that were not even beginning to help. So I turned to these books and read and read and read.

This book - "The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook" by Edmund J. Bourne Ph.D.
    saved my life.

I refer to it often - have pages ear marked for quick reference - but I can tell you that it was the very best book I had found. I had even taken a one week class on anxiety disorder - as prescribed by my psych doctor - that didn't even begin to help as much as this book did.

So please - if you are having problems with Anxiety - please go and order this book - probably online somewhere - and have it overnighted to you if necessary and read it. Do all the stuff it says to do. I promise it will help.

This is coming from someone who couldn't even drive - go to the store - get out of bed on some days - couldn't talk to my friends - couldn't eat - etc. I had the very worst anxiety issues you could imagine. THIS BOOK SAVED MY LIFE.

Just wanted you all to know about it. Hugs to you all - Loretta

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2007, 03:04 AM   #2
    darlindeb25
    (female)

darlindeb25 HB User
    Re: Anyone with Anxiety issues - please get this book

Thank you Loretta. I have suffered anxiety and panic now for close to 30 years. I was on xanax, 4 times a day in the beginning and I could not wake up, I had to stop it. So then, I was told to take it as needed, but that isn't the way any of us want to live. We want the anxiety and panic to stop, not just a temporary fix. Later I was put on Paxil, I started at 10mg and was at 40mg, still having some panic. While on 40mg, I found out about celiac disease and went gluten free, things did get better. Of course, the gluten was causing a chemical imbalance to occur. After being gluten free for 1 year, I weaned myself off of Paxil and did pretty well for several years. I still have anxiety, but not terrible panic, like I used to have. Then this last year, I could feel panic coming back. Just a feeling. In Nov, it got really bad and I would get terrible stomach cramping, to the point that I thought I had an ulcer. The doctor immediately put me on Celexa for depression/anxiety and did a thyroid panel too. The stomach pains are gone, yet the anxiety is still there, rarely to a panic though. Two weeks ago, the doc increased my Celexa to 40mg, at which time I requested a thyroid antibodies test be done. The thyroid panel came back normal in their eyes, yet my TSH is on the rise, was 1.97 in Dec and now it's 2.58 and my antibodies were at 69.9 with the range being less than 35. So, now I have an appointment with an endocrinologist on May 17th. I hope this endo can help me to get back on the right track, I am so sick of being sick!

Celiac Disease--gluten free since 7/00
    Peripheral Neuropathy--DX 10/05

Old 05-02-2007, 03:33 AM   #3
    iona_23
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

iona_23 HB User

thanks loretta for putting this book out here. i will definitely be ordering this book. thanks for the support.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:42 AM   #4
    sey
    Inactive

sey HB Usersey HB User

Hi l was another one suffering from anxiety etc for years noone checked me for thyroid probs l had to do the homework myself waited another few years as l didnt want the doc to frown tut! and hey what do you know... thyrotoxicosis graves disease! I ALWAYS tell anyone having panic attacks to go get there thyroid checked!

Closed Thread