It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Heart Rate Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-04-2007, 06:20 AM   #1
    DOROTHY859
    (female)

DOROTHY859 HB User
    Arrow Heart Rate Question

Hi Its The Newbie Again. Thanks To You All For Your Info On My Last Post. As I Stated I Have Only Recently Been Diagnosed Hypothyroid And Have Been On .05mg Levothyroxine For A Bit Over Three Weeks And My Main Symptoms Were Muscle Aches/weakness, Nausea, Fatigue, Brain Fog And Insomnia. There Was Some Improvement, Then The Nausea And Muscle Weakness Got A Bit Worse. Now I Wonder About Heart Rate-last Nite I Was Just Sitting Watching Tv And I Felt That My Heart Rate Was Up A Bit. I Took My Blood Pressure/pulse And The Bp Was 110/70 But My Pulse Was 90. Today I Feel Nauseous, Weak And Jittery-havn't Had An Opportunity To Check The Pulse Rate Today But It Feels A Little High. I Am Scheduled To See My Gp Next Week-should I Do Anything In The Meantime Or Is This A Normal Thing With Thyroid Too?

Last edited by DOROTHY859; 05-04-2007 at 06:35 AM. Reason: BRAIN FREEZE MOMENT

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2007, 07:09 AM   #2
    sparkles916
    Veteran
    (female)

sparkles916 HB User
    Re: Heart Rate Question

the body need a period of adjustment, I suspect yours is still adjusting after three weeeks,esp as it was your first dosage at 50 mcg.

Some feel worse after treatment for a period, and from what I have read here on the boards, it is not uncommon.

There are a few explanations: 1) your body is adjusting and it will dissipate. 2) Your body is adjusting, but the 50 mcg as a starter was too high, as you are sensitve to the thyroxine. 3) you are experiencing anxiety as a priimary feature of your adjustment 4) you are experiencing anxiety and raised heart level because you are worried about the your current treatment and are being hypervigilant 5) your elevated heart rate is unrelated to the thyroid treatment

thats about all I can think of at the moment.

In any case, why not monitor your heart rate at different times of day, both resting and following physical exertion/activity, keep a record of it in case you want to report this problem to your dr in future. If it turns out it was either from adjusting to the medication or just a little bit of stress related to the whole thing, you will probably see it resolve. I know I was jittery, like overcaffeinated for a period after I started treatment. I also worried a great deal about the medication etc. Just keep an eye on it and see your dr if it does not resolve or gets worse.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:57 AM   #3
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

By any chance do you have Hashi's? Did they check you for antibodies? Heart rate differences is common when you are getting adjusted and used to the meds and its very common with hashi's as your body goes hypo hyper back and forth. My heart would pound at times when I'd just get up and walk from one room to another. It would also race 100 bpm sometimes at night while I was trying to sleep (ever try to sleep when your heart is going 100 bpm? Isn't easy) . Once you get your levels more stable the heart issues get better too.
    And, thyroid problems can mess with your blood sugar levels as well and when the blood sugar levels are messed up it can also cause the heart to race.
    Oh what fun we have. Never a dull moment. Always something going haywire.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:28 PM   #4
    DOROTHY859
    (female)

DOROTHY859 HB User

I Hav'nt Been Tested For Antibodies Yet. Something I Should Probably Ask My Gp To Check When I See Him Next Week. Thanks.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:17 PM   #5
    Divermon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Divermon HB User

Many Doctors will not test for antibodies unless you ask them to. The reasons often depend on knowledge level. But it also equates back to money, of course.

Well over 90% (forget the number, was it 98%?) of hypothyroidism in developed countries, like the U.S. is caused by TPO antibodies. Some Doctors understand this and might forego the expense to test, since it's probable anyway. Some Doctors forego the test because they don't know what to do with it. I found it a useful discussion to determine if the Doctor is knowledgeable to keep on my payroll.

As DEA cites, these antibodies usually cause wild fluctuations in your thyroid hormone levels. Once the antibodies have fully destroyed your gland, the fluctuation will be considerably less.

You'll find some of the more knowledgeable people here will add the antibody test in every so often, so they can better understand the fluctuations. For example, a couple of years ago, my Doctor told me I had the highest TPO antibody count she had ever seen. Ok, so no wonder I had all the fluctuations. This of course lets us know that the gland destruction is still underway and we can expect to be increasing my med dose as we go along. Now days, that count is almost 0, indicating the antibodies have finished killing off the gland. That's a good thing, as now I have less fluctuations. Med dosage stays about the same now as well.

In general, when your thyroid hormones are low the resting heart rate is lower, but the ejection fraction is higher (the amount pumped with each beat). Conversely, when your thyroid hormones are high, the resting heart rate is generally higher.

But that does not necessarily correspond to heart rate under stress. With low thyroid hormones, the entire circulatory process (including cell exchange of oxygen) is less efficient, and your body will make attempts to compensate for that. The higher ejection fraction is one example of compensation. Higher heart rate under stress is another.

Often the body cannot seem to raise the heart rate enough, and tries to raise the ejection fraction even higher. What that feels like, as DEA cites, is your heart pounding.

So, maybe more info than you wanted. But it helps to understand what's going on, and know that all this is normal, and indicates an otherwise healthy reaction to hormone level fluctuation. Most of which, is nothing to get too worked up about. But always discuss with your Doctor of course.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:36 PM   #6
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hey Divermon, long time no see. Have I just missed your posts or have you been away for a while?
    Hope your doing well.

Old 05-06-2007, 11:34 AM   #7
    iona_23
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

iona_23 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Divermon View Post
    You'll find some of the more knowledgeable people here will add the antibody test in every so often, so they can better understand the fluctuations. For example, a couple of years ago, my Doctor told me I had the highest TPO antibody count she had ever seen. Ok, so no wonder I had all the fluctuations. This of course lets us know that the gland destruction is still underway and we can expect to be increasing my med dose as we go along. Now days, that count is almost 0, indicating the antibodies have finished killing off the gland. That's a good thing, as now I have less fluctuations. Med dosage stays about the same now as well.
    divermom, what number was your TPO? you said that was the highest your doctors ever seen?? my numbers are high too, so i was wondering what is considered high. thanks.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:37 PM   #8
    pursie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pursie HB User

hi i too are going though this process and wow thanks i feel much better about my pounding heart i thought though some of my pounding was from a single nodule in my thyroid only 3mm but it is enough to cause sharp pains when im having theese heart pounds it hurts where that nodule is ofcourse my dr said no cause for concern but it hurts and if this is never going to get scanned again to bad for me or i will neve r know that is going on this is really good info for all of us as we have all had to suffer theese pounds and it is hard as it is coming from our bodies not out minds as my dr would make me beleive so how do we bring this heart rate down as it causes very frightening panik attaks and it leaves me drained thanks for this info and sorry for butting in on this post but this is valuble to all of us who suffer this very hard to deal with symptom oh ps how long can it take for our thyroids to settle down and basically die lol love from katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by pursie; 05-06-2007 at 01:54 PM.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:47 AM   #9
    Divermon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Divermon HB User

Hey D. yeah, I come and go here. You all greatly helped me get started a few years ago, for which I will be eternally grateful. Then I went into a research frenzy, thinking maybe I could intellectualize my way through this. Good to see you're still here. What ever became of Meep?

Iona, TPO Abs were up around 600. I remember reading posts of people higher than that too. In theory, the higher the TPO Abs count, the more your thyroid gland is being attacked, and thus, the more fluctuation you are likely to experience.

Once your thyroid gland is destroyed, I believe the TPO Abs just go away, as they did in my case. Note however, that although at that point you can look forward to much less fluctuation from the Abs, you will still likely experience some (but much less) fluctuation from food and other natural factors.

Pursie, I suspect your "settle down and basically die" comment is partly humor. But I know that it does feel like you are dieing. And you're not alone with the panic attacks. I felt many times like I should race to the ER. In fact, before I was diagnosed, I did go to the ER a couple of times.

However, if you can find the right combination of meds for you at this time, the pounding heart and other symptoms will usually be a bit less. You just have to watch that you don't medicate strictly for your low points, because the fluctuations will cause you to go hyper at times too, and those aren't comfortable symptoms either.

Just know that most of us went through this too. It's very uncomfortable (ha! how about some understatement), may make you think you are dieing. And then, once your gland is done, things are better.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:44 AM   #10
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Divermon View Post
    Hey D. yeah, I come and go here. You all greatly helped me get started a few years ago, for which I will be eternally grateful. Then I went into a research frenzy, thinking maybe I could intellectualize my way through this. Good to see you're still here. What ever became of Meep?
    Not sure what MEEP is up to these days. He hasn't been on in a long time. I know he was quite busy with his family and was doing well last time he popped in. Hope he makes an appearance again, he was a wealth of knowledge.

Good to see you, keep popping in from time to time.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:10 AM   #11
    pursie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pursie HB User

yes i agree im a hashis and i have fast pulse at the moment and flurtters and a full feeling in my chest it is horrid and i do have that when trying to sleep so i do resort to a diaxapam as im not having my sleep ruined as well it is our escape to have a good sleep heaven knows w e have anough heart things to deal with through the day i have raised about 3 weeks ago and im still experiencing some difficulties with weird heart things and i feel over medicated as well dont know if this is normal for a while on an increase and does anyone know how long this takes to settle down ?>?????? i have to have a heart monitor tom but what if it is racing from the increase or two much hormaone what will they make of that love from katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by pursie; 05-08-2007 at 10:11 AM.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:37 PM   #12
    Divermon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Divermon HB User

Ok Kat, now that does sound overmedicated or over converting (or too much T3).

What meds are you on? What are your most recent labs?

Old 05-09-2007, 09:13 AM   #13
    pursie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pursie HB User

divermom i am sending out my luittle feelers for you as i ahve enjoyes your writting very much do you see how much help you are, so please can you tlak to me again a s im having a full feling uin my throat and flutters and abit of racing is this something you had??? i was a tsh of 6 something last tiem but i have raised twice sinse then and i have had palps ever sinse for about 4 weeks i ahve to go up in babay steps as i am very sensitive to it infact im so sensitive to any meds as i also have low iron and low cortisone i have had to come off thyroixne once already and that wa s no joke so will theese flutters and tigth throat get better and when we get to the rigth dose does it improve alot aswell??? just want to get beter and you sound so well ingformed with thsi thyroid gfame lol i ahve been cutting rigth back on the fags aswell can thsi muck things up aswell??? thanks if you get to rread tbsi d really value your help love from katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 05-09-2007, 12:06 PM   #14
    Divermon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Divermon HB User

The first thing I would do is to see my Doctor, as he or she is the only one here qualified to determine your situation in it's entirety.

But aside from that, I would have several questions:

1. What meds are you on and how long have you been on them?
    2. What are your most recent labs, and when?
    3. How low is your iron, and what measure are you going by?
    4. Please explain the "low cortisone".

Old 05-09-2007, 02:05 PM   #15
    pursie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pursie HB User

hi divermom ,
    first sorry about my awfull spelling i was in a rush and i have a very clumsy keyboard well thats my excuse!!!
    well im sitting here with a heart monitor on right now and yes i have told my drs a few times and they say that is normal for you you have always had them but i havent !!
    sinse the last raise i have experienced shallow breathing and thumping heart rate and lots of flutters and tight chest it has been going about 3 4 weeks my last tsh was 6 something and i have only gone up half a tablet sinse last tsh wich was 6 something they will make me wait a while till the next test as we have to go 3 months beetween each one but im not sure what is going on here it is worse now than when i was a tsh of 6 i do sleep ok i dont feel really low medicated or over medicated but then i didnt at 6 something but must have been i have big problems and they have to do finger pricks not vein blood but i shall be really interested in the next labs yes i have got my iron back up to nearly normal but my ferritin is below 50 still i have iron every day but as the periods are so heavy it never gets up very far and yes my arenals are week it is always a low reading the range here is 250 to 800 somehting near so my last one was only 100 !! but im doing a jug for more testing and waiting it out till next bloods and ill see what the heart monitor has to say what do you think i had to little raises of quater pills close together and im only on 37 now last time i went very hyper on 50 and im extreemly sensitive to meds what do you think any input off you is extreemly valued as im not getting much help here im in england ive seen 3 endos who all dissscharged me on the first visit and the drs well they just say it is allin my head and anxiety and dr breeeze said just stay at a tsh of 6 something incase you go hyper again!!!!!! thanks and i appreciate your reply alot love from katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxps im on a tiny bit of morphine aswell!!??xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:w ave: oh im on t4 only

Last edited by pursie; 05-10-2007 at 01:14 AM.

Closed Thread