It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• do i have different symptoms to other people

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-19-2007, 09:33 AM   #1
    chillijava
    Veteran
    (female)

chillijava HB User
    do i have different symptoms to other people

i have been coming to this board for a short while, looking for answers, i am very dissapointed as to the level of replies that i seem to get to my questions.
    it seems that if you have been on this board a while you get more replies.
    i was hoping to get some help here, but it seems i was mistaken.
    i posted a question earlier today and only one kind member replied, is it because i am the only one with these problems, i would like to know as i dont know where else to turn

andrea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2007, 10:45 AM   #2
    tawnyjade
    (female)

tawnyjade HB User
    Re: do i have different symptoms to other people

Andrea,

Hang in there! People don't respond if they don't know the answers. Someone who can relate to your issues will come along. Don't fret. This is a great place to get help and support while we try to get our doctors to realize our suffering.

Big hugs to you!

Tawny

Old 05-19-2007, 10:56 AM   #3
    Suey77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Suey77 HB User

I agree with what Tawny says. And I will add to that:

I think people tend to want to reply to people who answer other peoples posts also. In other words, if you're just asking questions, while not responding to others posts, I think the likihood of getting replies is less also.

Hope that makes sense hang in there

Old 05-19-2007, 11:42 AM   #4
    chillijava
    Veteran
    (female)

chillijava HB User

i think i may have sounded harsh, i didnt mean to, at the moment i am having a rough time, i know its not much of an excuse, but its the only one i have, i just want it all to stop like all of you, i dont know how much more i can take

Old 05-19-2007, 11:49 AM   #5
    sparkles916
    Veteran
    (female)

sparkles916 HB User

Hi Andrea:

From being here on the boards, and from experience with my own situation and treatment, I have learned a few things, which I hope will help with your questions.

The problem with hypo symptoms is that they are so diffuse, that the cause for such symptoms may be entirely due to the thyroid, or in part to due to the thyroid, ranging from many to just a few. You could also have other conditions at work as well. The only way you will know if they were thyroid-related is by waiting until you achieve optimum thyroid hormone levels, and the symptoms resolve.

Of course, the matter of optimum levels is a problem for some people, who are under-medicated, or just don't see improvement on whatever thyroxine treatment they are receiving. Some people are getting too little thyroxine medication, as ill-informed drs look at the TSH and keep it too high. The veterans here, and I have seen confirmed in other readings, advise that one aim for a TSH of 1. In addition, the veterans advise that once thyroid treatment is initiated, that one keep track of the free T4 and free T3 levels and aim for mid to upper 1/3 of the ranges (correct me if I am wrong )

An alternative scenario is that some people prefer different types of thyroxine , e.g. synthroid, levoyl, levothyroxine and prefer one to another. This apparently, is a trial and error matter.

Yet other people are helped by the addition of the T3 hormone (e.g. Cytomel - don't know if it is another name in England) with the thyroxine.

While other people find Armour, the dessicated porcine thyroid, works best, since it contains both T4 and T3 along with other Ts.

I learned too, that the most common dose ranges between 100-125 mcg of thyroxine.

Another condition that can play into the symptoms or affect the thyroid hormones are adrenal-related...but from what I understand you have had this avenue examined and it seems not to be an issue.

For me, I have iron deficiency without anemia (low ferritin) and also b12 deficiency. The ferritin status especially can affect thyroid hormone status and also be critical in fatigue-related symptoms.

I did glance at your postings and saw that you had a recent hysterectomy. I wonder if this may be causing you trouble. I presume you are replacing your hormones? If so, I also presume that there may be difficulty in balancing them properly. If not, has your endo mentioned this as a possible source of symptoms?

For the moment as it concerns the thyroid, next I saw the endo, I would ask that your free T4 and Free T3 levels be part of any thyroid panel you are given. When you get your results, post them here for further response.

Well, that is all I can think of at the moment.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:13 PM   #6
    chillijava
    Veteran
    (female)

chillijava HB User

hi sparkles
    my endo is very well respected but as such is very hard to get to see, i am having to pay for this privately as getting to see him on the nhs is not an option.
    he is aiming for approx tsh of 1.5, he said my free ts are all fine, he also took blood for adrenals, testosterone, estrogen, fsh, lh, liver and kidney function and also cortisol and he said everything else is fine my tsh was 5.35.
    i had an hysterectomy seven months ago and my tummy is still quite tender and sore, not sure if there is a problem or not here, and i am also on 2mgs of estrogen per day.
    it just seems that each time i take a few steps forward i seem to take more backwards.
    i do definately feel better than i did, but i am a real worry wart and everytime i get something different i always think the worst.
    i so desparately want to be well after having these problems for 6 years with docs all telling me its in my head.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:28 PM   #7
    Stacey43
    (female)

Stacey43 HB User

Hi VooDoo,

I can sympathize with you. I was diagnosed just a week ago and it is all new to me. I have am trying to learn all I can about hypothyroidism. That is why I find these boards a blessing. Since I just found out about my illness I can't be of much help to others who are in the same boat I am. Hopefully someday day I will be able to help as others have helped me.

I have been sick and progressing for over a year, with nerve problems and just not feeling myself. Alot of it I chalked up to growing older, I am 43. My Neurologist had me tested for diabetes because of the neuropathy I was having in my feet. I was told I was pre-diabetic, so I decided that a Endo might be in order, he was the one who said I had an under-active thyroid. After getting a copy of my labs I believe there is more to it than that. My antibodies are 2387, I appear to have some kind of infection going on, I just don't know what. So I made an appointment with my ENT whom I trust. I will be seeing him next week and I am hoping that he can shed some light and get me on to the road to recovery.

Like you I am at my wits end. I wish it would just go away and I could be even 25% of my old self to be happy. I can manage to go to work, come home stiff, sore so tired that I am unable to sleep. But on my days off I am useless to anyone. I don't have the energy to muster up to clean my house. I have to talk myself into things.

I hope you start to feel better soon. I just started synthroid 4 days ago. (should have started last week) I don't feel much of a difference, didn't expect too. I only notice the side effects right now. Trying to stay postive.

Take care!
    Stacey

Old 05-20-2007, 05:48 AM   #8
    chillijava
    Veteran
    (female)

chillijava HB User

hi stacey
    it seems as though we are unfortunately in the same boat, what side effects do you seem to be having, we may as well compare notes, i think this is going to be a long rough journey

Old 05-20-2007, 03:04 PM   #9
    Stacey43
    (female)

Stacey43 HB User

Hi Voodoo,

My side effects aren't too bad yet. Only on occasion. I mostly have joint and muscle pain, nothing excrutiating except once in a great while I will get a quick sharp pain that comes out of nowhere mostly in my lower back. Today though my joints seem to be aching more than usual. My thigh, leg and arm muscles bother me the alot. I have had pain in my hands for a while now, but since starting the synthroid 5 days ago I seem to have alot of pain between my wrist and thumb on both hands, the left one hurts more than the right.
    I haven't had any hairloss yet. The first day or so I had insomnia, was up for over 48. Since yesterday I seem to be tired and lack energy. Not that I really had any energy. Haven't had any for a LONG time. I could be tired because of the fact that from Monday to Friday I only had about 5 hours of sleep. The main problem I'm having was the heat sensitivity, that was terrible. I could walk into an air conditioned room and after about 2 seconds I was sweating and extremely hot. I know my face had to be red as a beet since it was stinging and felt like I had a nasty sunburn. That was up until last night today I am on the cold side, wearing sweats and a t-shirt and still feel cold.
    I don't know if all this is due to the synthroid or not, I am assuming most of it is, since I havent had these problems before. Except the aches and pains, they just seem more prominent now.
    How about you? What problems have you been facing? I hope you are feeling some what better. Take care!

Blessings,
    Stacey

Last edited by Stacey43; 05-20-2007 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Mistakes

Old 05-20-2007, 03:35 PM   #10
    wdiguy
    (male)

wdiguy HB User

Whats ur symptoms Voodoo? Ill try to help ya out.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:11 AM   #11
    chillijava
    Veteran
    (female)

chillijava HB User

at the moment my calf and leg muscles aches and feel really stiff, i have tingling in the hands and feet, my anxiety is high with palps, i am hot and sweating like a hot flush, nausea, and generally feel like poo

Old 05-21-2007, 06:31 AM   #12
    Suey77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Suey77 HB User

Hi again voodoo ~ I didn't think you were harsh. Thy-land is [email protected] & I've gotten aggrivated when I didn't think I'd recieved the support I've given , , ,

I wanted to say that by talking about your symtoms can help other people. One of the side-effects for Synthroid with me was: FOG-headed, literally feeling like there was a cloud in my head WITH my brain. Another member hadn't written about it, but realized I'd nailed the description.

wonder if a calcium / magnesium supplement may help? I remember my knees especially being tender when I took Synthroid. It reared up again when I started Levoxyl, but leveled off when I got closer to optimised.

In the last couple months, I remember a rest-less leg type syndrome, couldn't FIND a comfortable position. That escalated into MAJOR calf cramps. Just recently, I started taking a calcium / mag vitamin, THAT seem to have nipped the discomfort down to where I don't notice it anymore

Last edited by Suey77; 05-21-2007 at 06:36 AM. Reason: needed to write more , , ,

Old 05-21-2007, 08:05 AM   #13
    wdiguy
    (male)

wdiguy HB User

I have it where both of my calves ache. After I started Armour everything went away. Right now its slowly coming back maybe due to me not being at the right dose. I had severe brain fog with synthroid also. Theres so many symptoms its crazy.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:53 AM   #14
    chillijava
    Veteran
    (female)

chillijava HB User

i do think that maybe its because i am not at the right dose yet, but i really feel like my symptoms have come back with a vengence in the past couple of days, i hate this the first few days after med increase i feel ugh, then i start to feel really good and then about a week later i feel even worse, its like dangling a carrot

Old 05-22-2007, 08:35 AM   #15
    Suey77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Suey77 HB User

Til I got closer to OK (just in range) I remember weeks 3-5 of a higher dose being overly sensitive to just about anything!! it was a time for me. Didn't hit it last couple time my Levoxyl was increased

Closed Thread