It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• those who are hypo - what do you eat for breakfast?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-20-2007, 03:26 AM   #1
    cas29
    (female)

cas29 HB User
    those who are hypo - what do you eat for breakfast?

What kind of breakfast do you find really gives you the energy you need first thing in the morning and sets you up well for the day?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2007, 04:42 AM   #2
    pursie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pursie HB User
    Re: those who are hypo - what do you eat for breakfast?

hi cas well i always have a banana as they are starch and carbs i think and they are supposed to make you feel really good , thing is do you have your meds first cos alot of people have to have there thyroxine on a full tummy like elmhar i think this is good when you are sensitive to it i tried but i felt like i was going more hypo??? but im going to try that again what do you have rigth now ? and an apple is nice cranberry juice orange or some nice brown toast with scrambled egss i think just anything thta isnt to sugary or acidic and im not sure about the wheat issue as i started on shredded wheat and it made me feel abit ill not sure if it was down to that but some hypos dont take to the wheat very well??? good luck from pursiexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxx

Old 05-20-2007, 05:11 AM   #3
    cas29
    (female)

cas29 HB User

I often have cereal (special k or brank flakes) with a banana sliced into it, or other fruit (sometimes raisins) and sometimes I add walnuts as well.

Other days I have eggs, either scrambled, or once in a while fried as a treat! -- with a slice of lean turkey or ham.
    I take my meds half an hour before breakfast.

I don't use sugar - I put honey in my coffee, (which is largely milk!) and if I have a second cup, I don't put any sweetener at all.

As I am going through a particulary low-energy phase right now, I'm looking for any new ideas that might help.

cheers and thanks!

Old 05-20-2007, 05:28 AM   #4
    chillijava
    Veteran
    (female)

chillijava HB User

hi
    i have never been a breakfast person, unless i am in a hotel and it is cooked for me, so having breakfast is a real chore for me.
    however i know i have got to get myself into a routine of eating breakfast to keep my energy up so i either have a yougurt or a banana or a few shredded wheat, thats about all i can manage

Old 05-20-2007, 06:13 AM   #5
    Hoopa7p
    (female)

Hoopa7p HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by voodoo24 View Post
    hi
    i have never been a breakfast person, unless i am in a hotel and it is cooked for me, so having breakfast is a real chore for me.
    however i know i have got to get myself into a routine of eating breakfast to keep my energy up so i either have a yougurt or a banana or a few shredded wheat, thats about all i can manage
    On the weekends when I am home, I will have scrambled eggs with some toast, orange juice (no calcium added) and a glass of water. During the week, I take my breakfast to work. Breakfast is usually the flavored oatmeal. This seems to give me a lot of energy in the morning. Even though I know some foods can inhibit the effects of Synthroid, I have never heard anything like this about oatmeal.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:58 PM   #6
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

I am not a breakfast food person and I cannot have dairy because of antiibotics I take. I usually eat something like a turkey burger, salad with chicken, or tuna salad for breakfast. I feel better if I have protein.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:32 PM   #7
    jenn3
    (female)

jenn3 HB User

[On the weekends when I am home, I will have scrambled eggs with some toast, orange juice (no calcium added) and a glass of water.

If you don't mind me asking why the orange juice without the extra calcium?? Just curious if there is something thyroid related to that.

thanks
    Jennifer

Old 05-20-2007, 08:47 PM   #8
    brynac
    (female)

brynac HB User

Eggs/bacon/toast & bananna...I know bacon is bad(but oh so good*wink*) sometimes I don't have it though. Or I also have some cereal like All Bran.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:20 PM   #9
    Clarissa234
    (female)

Clarissa234 HB User

7 days a week I wake up to take my Levoxyl at 5:00 a.m. and then sleep at least an hour longer. By the time I am ready to eat breakfast it has usually been about 2 or 3 hours since I took my pill.

5 days a week my breakfast is generally 1 cup of cereal with 1/2 cup lowfat milk and a smoothie made of 1 cup lowfat plain yogurt, 1 cup frozen unsweetened fruit, 1 package of Stevia used for its sweetness and a teaspoon of vanilla, blended with ice to make it frosty cold. This breakfast has a good balance of carbs and protein and keeps me satisfied until 4 hours later when I'm ready for lunch. The cereal is always something higher in fiber and protein (at least 4 grams fiber per serving).

2 days a week I substitute a toasted English muffin or homemade bread with sunflower seed butter for the bowl of cereal. Sometimes I add some lean ham or turkey bacon. Again, I opt for high fiber muffins or bread.

Currently I'm seeing a nutritionist who has me adding a "medical food" supplement to my smoothie. It's a powder that has a lot of nutrients and probiotics to help regulate my stomach difficulties. I will be taking this for a month and then back to regular smoothies after that. I'm on my second week of this and so far so good. He also has me eliminating eggs from my diet for a month to see if they are having any negative effect on my digestion, otherwise I might have a homemade egg, ham and cheese muffin with my morning smoothie.

The key for me is controlling my total calorie intake for the day, never eat carbs without protein, don't skip meals, avoid added sugar, avoid high fructose corn syrup, eat three evenly sized meals, 4 hours between breakfast and lunch, 6 hours between lunch and dinner, have a small protein and carb snack if I'm going to have more than 6 hours between meals, and be consistent about how much fiber I'm getting on a daily basis. If I do all that every day, my energy stays on a pretty even keel. It's hard to get out of bed in the morning, but once I get moving it all works out. I no longer have the mid morning or mid afternoon exhaustion. I no longer rely on caffeine or sweets or carbs for a pick me up.

If I try to go through the morning on a banana, coffee and a bowl of oatmeal I am slumped over at my desk and starving in a couple hours. Orange juice and I are old enemies. It's just sugar and acid added to my acid stomach. What works for me might not work for you, but I hope it helps you come up with some good ideas of your own.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:27 PM   #10
    Clarissa234
    (female)

Clarissa234 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenn3 View Post
    [On the weekends when I am home, I will have scrambled eggs with some toast, orange juice (no calcium added) and a glass of water.

If you don't mind me asking why the orange juice without the extra calcium?? Just curious if there is something thyroid related to that.

thanks
    Jennifer
    What I've read is that calcium inhibits the body's uptake of the thyroid supplement. My endo and nutritionist said avoid calcium within several hours of taking my thyroid Rx. I've also read that magnesium and iron can do the same thing, as well as high fiber. I assume if I'm consistent in what I'm eating each day then I won't have wild fluctuations in how my thyroid hormone is being absorbed. I don't seem to be having any trouble with that right now.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:58 PM   #11
    cas29
    (female)

cas29 HB User

Clarissa your brekkies sound great!
    Thanks for giving so much detail. I had never heard of stevia and had to look it up (thank goodness for Wike eh?)

I'm reading about low GI diets (again!) and once I get more of my blood tests back I'm probably going to see a dietian.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:53 AM   #12
    Clarissa234
    (female)

Clarissa234 HB User

I'm convinced that seeing a nutritionist (dietician, naturopath, whatever you want to call it) has been a great benefit to me. My energy level is good when I follow this way of eating. And, I've lost 18 pounds in the last 77 days. After I stopped using high fructose corn syrup and caffeine and stopped eating carbs unless I ate protein with them, I stopped having food cravings and I'm only hungry when it's meal time. I want breakfast within an hour of waking, I want lunch 4 hours after that, and I want dinner 6 hours later. It's a tremendous relief to not be obsessing about food all the time.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:38 PM   #13
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I have my beloved coffee and am not giving it up............ 2 cups each morning.............I use Fat free half and half and spenda sugar in the raw for sweetener........

I have these for breakfast
    Nonfat sugarfree yogurt or
    Muscle Milk light protein drink or
    Scrambled eggs and 2 slices of turkey bacon or
    2 hard boiled eggs or
    low fat mozzarella string cheese stick or
    South Beach breakfast bar or South Beach protein bar........

These are my choices.......I try to rotate Oleander

Closed Thread