It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thyroid uptake scan results and advice needed!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-29-2007, 11:51 AM   #31
    je46324
    (male)

je46324 HB User
    Re: Thyroid uptake scan results and advice needed!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by accessn12 View Post
    Thank you je. I was getting in a little over my head on this one. Looks like too many things going on at once to be able to place the blame on any one thing.

Got a question for you. I do believe she was raised in your neck of the woods. Does this lack of iodine on the european continent cause an acute problem or does it take years and years of iodine deficiency to cause a problem?

Cougars - How long have you lived in france?
    Europe is really not deemed as a iodine defecient area, they just have less dietary intake then we do in general...the less iodine in the diet the better the thyroid system becomes at trapping and storeing it, thus the higher uptake values. Coincedently the great lakes regions were known to actually be iodine defeciency areas, also tennesse has some areas like this also. This was found out in studies in the 20 and 30's and was the reasom iodine was added to salt and bakery. Just some odd ball facts to keep in mind in iodine defecient areas MNG and certain thyroid cancers have a higher prevalence and also when iodine supplementation is added to defecient area diets thyroid autimmunity and certain thyroid cancers increase.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2007, 07:39 AM   #32
    je46324
    (male)

je46324 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cougars View Post
    As for what direction it is growing--good question. I don't know. They always feel it and always say--yes, wow you can definitely feel that. I will ask at my next appointment. I also think I should ask for another ultrasound scan to see if the nodules have grown or not, no?
    ops almost forgot, it is rather easy to check your thyroid yourself, first find your adams apple, is about mid neck and if you swallow you can feel it. Think of the thyroid as a butterfly with the head being the adams apple and the wings of it being the actual thyroid, so from the adams apple drop your fingers down a little less then a half inch and feel in a out and upwards motion. Now in autoimmune thyroid disease one lobe or both lobes could be enlarged but it will be more of a outwards sweeling (towards the sides of the neck), in a MNG the swelling tends to be downwards, if you have to move yur fingers more in a downward motion then a upwards motion to feel the swelling it could be a true MNG.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:17 AM   #33
    cougars
    (female)

cougars HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by je46324 View Post
    ops almost forgot, it is rather easy to check your thyroid yourself, first find your adams apple, is about mid neck and if you swallow you can feel it. Think of the thyroid as a butterfly with the head being the adams apple and the wings of it being the actual thyroid, so from the adams apple drop your fingers down a little less then a half inch and feel in a out and upwards motion. Now in autoimmune thyroid disease one lobe or both lobes could be enlarged but it will be more of a outwards sweeling (towards the sides of the neck), in a MNG the swelling tends to be downwards, if you have to move yur fingers more in a downward motion then a upwards motion to feel the swelling it could be a true MNG.
    Hi Helen and je,

First of all, thank you both very much for taking the time to add your input and thoughts. Helen, I went to the link you suggested and it is VERY technical! It did seem to clear up a couple things for me though. I wanted to respond sooner, but we've had guests from out of town and have been running around.

As for how long I have lived over here--about 18 years in Europe. I also lived over here for 3 years when I was growing up, so about half my life I have been in Europe. Most of my childhood in the states was spent in the midwest.

Je, I tried to feel my thyroid and look for what you said. When I swallow, I can feel it moving up under my hands. I can't really say if it feels like it is growing outward or downward It seems I do have to move my hands downward to feel the whole gland and yet it also seems to be sort of swollen outward too.

It sounds like it must be Hashis, since the FNA said so. Yet I do not test positive for any antibodies and the labs are not hypo. If this is Hashi toxicosis then is it normal it lasts so long--I have been feeling hyper now since last Sept/Oct. I will be curious to hear what the endo has to say about the scan on the 18th.

Helen, good luck today!

Best to you both!

cougars

Closed Thread