It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Complex Thyroid Nodule

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-27-2007, 02:04 PM   #1
    Dreamers
    (female)

Dreamers HB User
    Complex Thyroid Nodule

Hi All,

I wanted to ask a few questions if that is ok. I had the right side of my thyroid removed in 2003 because they were unable to biopsy it due to the location. It had a calcification rim and it was a dominant hot nodule. The biopsy came back as follicular adenoma with hurthle cell changes and the ENT said it was good that they took it out. I have a single nodule on my left thyroid now and went back for a 6 month follow-up ultrasound and he said although the size did not change, it has become more hypoechoic and is a complex nodule part cystic and solid with vascular something. I asked him if there was any calcification and he said some. The nodule is a little less than 1 cm.

The endocrinologist will be doing the biopsy and he said it would take about an hour. He said they would make slides and look at it. Do you know if they will be able to know right then if it is bad? With everyone’s history here have many of you have ended up with removal of the gland with a complex nodule? Will there be radiation and/or chemo if it is cancer and they have to take it out? Will I be able to go back to work after 2 weeks like that last time if it is bad?

Any input on your experiences is welcomed. I am a little concerned about this and worry about removal, medicine, and gaining weight.

Thank you.
    Dreamers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2007, 03:06 PM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: Complex Thyroid Nodule

My FNA was with a surgeon, it was larger, and took about 10 minutes in total. If you've been thru. thyroid surgery already, this should be a breeze.

It took about a week or two for me to get results (the stupid dr. was on vacation), and each pathology lab takes a different amt. of time, so I wouldn't expect it that day if I were you. Also the results are sometimes inconclusive.

The key is getting to a good medication level after your surgery, and there's no reason to gain weight.

Since you had hurthle cells on the other side, and they tend to spread and be unpredictable, and now you have a nodule on the other side, you may indeed have to consider surgery.

Thyroid cancer, if you have it, is very curable. Chemo isn't effective, if necessary, pp. are treated with a RAI pill, and then stay on a high dosage of medication to supress the TSH and prevent a recurrance.

Old 05-28-2007, 05:49 AM   #3
    Dreamers
    (female)

Dreamers HB User

Hi Reece,

Thank you for replying.Your information helped a lot. I am not sure why he told me the procedure would be an hour, that seems kind of long compared to what you had. I may have misunderstood him about the slides. I thought he said he was going to look at them while we were there.

Thank you again.

Dreamers

Old 05-28-2007, 06:10 AM   #4
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Maybe your doctor does his own labs/pathology? Each doctor is different, many use an ultrasound, and that can be a process. Everyone's experience is different.

Also, my nodule was so big, it was sticking out, and the doctor didn't have to use ultrasound or anything to find it. He drew samples with a needle, put it on slides, and sent it off to a lab.

Your surgery shouldn't be much tougher on you this time than last, if you have to have it.

Good luck with everything, keep us posted!

Old 05-31-2007, 07:15 AM   #5
    grandmaNP
    (female)

grandmaNP HB User

I don't think they will necessarily get the right amount of cells needed on a FNB to determine if this nodule is hurthle cell or not. Our daughter had a FNB of one of her nodules; it was negative, but, because she was developing so many nodules, the endo recommended that she have it removed. We (including endo and surgeon) were very surprised when it was cancerous. Since it was a hurthle cell, she will be getting RAI treatment (its been a tough week for us). The doc explained that unless they get the needle in the right spot where the hurthle cells are, they could be missed.

She can't go back to work because of the pre-treatment. Since she will need to be hypothyroid and it makes you sluggish, she can't do her job. She is a 9-1-1 dispatcher, and endo said people who need to have quick reflexes or think for their occupation, shouldn't work because they make too many mistakes.

Hope this answers some of your questions. Good luck.

Closed Thread