It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thyroid & Lowered Immunity?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-27-2007, 11:56 PM   #1
    kateinalaska
    Inactive
    (female)

kateinalaska HB User
    Thyroid & Lowered Immunity?

I am wondering if anyone knows of respected site (that a Doctor could respect lol) discussing thyroid disfunction and lowered immunity i.e. prone to infections?
    I know it exists but would like to print off a paper discussing this, rather than saying, "I heard..." lol

~Kate

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2007, 03:15 AM   #2
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User
    Re: Thyroid & Lowered Immunity?

Hello again!

I can give you a starting place for your search. Look for: "The reasons for the increased rate of infection are still unclear and could involve direct or indirect mechanisms: The presence of TR ß in granulocytes and lymphocytes [58, 59] and the tendency for immunoglobulin levels to be lower in persons with resistance suggests that these persons may have a specific immune defect." In the following link: [url]http://www.annals.org/cgi/content/full/123/8/572#R58-2[/url]

Reference 58 will lead you here: [url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_u ids=193338&dopt=Abstract[/url]

I don't think these are exactly what you are looking for but if you take some key words out of them and do a search, you may find exactly what you are looking for.

There is a definite link to lowered immunity in resistance to thyroid hormone. If you take into consideration that someone with that condition is actually hypo at the level of the immune system, I'll guarantee someone has recently done a study on the effect of thyroid hormones on the immune system now that they know what they are looking for at the receptor level.

Good luck. I'd be really interested to hear what you find.

Helen

Old 05-28-2007, 12:02 PM   #3
    kateinalaska
    Inactive
    (female)

kateinalaska HB User

You're a doll, Helen. Thank you.

With your lead, see what I can come up with.
    It seems upper/lower respiratory infections/conditions are more common with thyroid conditions. I have a doctors appointment on the 30th and will present him with my findings.

I'll post back to let you know what I came up with. Thanks again for stepping up, Helen. I really appreciate it.

Sincerely,
    Kate

Last edited by kateinalaska; 05-28-2007 at 12:02 PM.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:31 AM   #4
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bingo! Wrap your head around this one! Recent too. March, 2006.

[url]http://www.ebmonline.org/cgi/content/full/231/3/229[/url]

Old 05-30-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
    kateinalaska
    Inactive
    (female)

kateinalaska HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Thyroid & Lowered Immunity?

Wow! Jackpot!
    I was falling on my face, looking and didn't come up with anything. Today is my appointment and just added this into the papers (research) for my small town, country doctor.

You are informative, for which I suspect you have to be due to hypothyroidism...but I am guessing you are a naturally curious person.

If you haven't seen this (or heard of it) it might peak your interest as well:

“Postpartum Autoimmune Thyroid Disease: The Potential Role of Fetal Microchimerism”
    [url]http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/88/7/2965[/url]

I thought this was interesting as it is in reference to antibodies & prevelence of nodules within these groups:

Takamatsu et al., Osaka, Kobe and Mibucho, Japan, studied characteristics of three groups of patients with Hashimoto's disease, i.e. having both TGAb and TPOAb, TGAb alone, or TPOAb alone.
    Of 401 patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditis:
    79% had both antibodies,
    19% TGAb alone,
    and 2% TPOAb alone.
    Age, gender-ratio, and incidence of familiar predisposition were similar in the three groups. The main findings were that patients with TGAb alone have frequently nodular lesions i.e. 53% versus 20% TPOAb alone, and 9% both antibodies. In this group hypothyroidism was relatively rare i.e. 23% versus 50% and 58% respectively. The frequences of low echo-amplitude of the thyroid were 26%, 0%, and 69% respectively.
    [url]http://www.merck.de/servlet/PB/menu/1266180/1266180.html[/url]

You probably have seen these, in regards to Selenium:

“Selenium, the Thyroid, and the Endocrine System”
    [url]http://edrv.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/26/7/944[/url]

“Selenium Supplementation in Patients with Autoimmune Thyroiditis Decreases Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies Concentrations”
    [url]http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/87/4/1687[/url]

A huge thank you, Helen, for tracking this marvelous article down.

~Kate

Quote:
    Originally Posted by accessn12 View Post
    Bingo! Wrap your head around this one! Recent too. March, 2006.

[url]http://www.ebmonline.org/cgi/content/full/231/3/229[/url]

Old 05-30-2007, 09:48 AM   #6
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Just real quick if you're still there. I'm reading it now: [url]http://edrv.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/21/3/292[/url]

Looks like another pot of gold.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:14 AM   #7
    kateinalaska
    Inactive
    (female)

kateinalaska HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Thyroid & Lowered Immunity?

lol

This is great. Shoot, well...I had to pen in the last one (as my sheet was printed) and sneaked it in between 2 lines, having no more room for the link you just posted.
    So, I will rework my word document to include both links and send it to my husband to print (again. lol) Fortunately, he's going to work here shortly and can print it out for me. Better looking this way anyway. lol
    I have a printer but it just so happens to be out of ink.

These should be posted in the "Information Archive" thread.

Thanks again, Helen. 2 thumbs up!

Quote:
    Just real quick if you're still there. I'm reading it now: [url]http://edrv.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/21/3/292[/url]

Looks like another pot of gold.

Last edited by kateinalaska; 05-30-2007 at 10:24 AM.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:43 AM   #8
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

You too? We only have one small town country doc serving the whole county.

Actually I've been studying the immune system for 25 years and thyroids for 16. I'm not hypothyroid. I'm hyper with elevated hormones and normal tsh, high cholesterol and hypogammaglobulinemia. I do not have autoimmune thyroid disease or any other autoimmune disorder, I do not have nodules, nor do I have cancer. I'm a mutant. Nobody yet has been able to tell me what it is. I've been hyper my entire life. I study out of desperation and I'm also curious as hell when something catches my interest.

I've got someone might be interested in those other links of yours. I never had kids and I'm not autoimmune so I concentrate mostly on the weird stuff but pick up tidbits here and there on some of the other stuff.

Hope all goes well at your appointment. I can't wait to hear what he says. I see my gp tomorrow. He just loves seeing me in there. rotflol I'm going to see if we can't do something to get this edema under control and probably wait a bit on the thyroid stuff. Don't want to hit him with too much at once. Besides, the thryoid's been refusing to play it's tricks ever since this edema started in february. Kinda hard to track something down when it's playing hide and seek. Does that when I get an infection too. That's one of the reasons I've been so interested in the connection between the thyroid and the immune system.

Anyhow, get some more ink if you're going to ask any more questions. I've been doing internet since 1972 when it was still ARPANET. I know how to find things.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:02 AM   #9
    je46324
    (male)

je46324 HB User

are you borninquestive ?

Old 05-30-2007, 11:38 AM   #10
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ah, speak of the devil! Oui, oui monsieur, elle et tres borninquisitive. Did they do cougars tgab? I know they did tpo.

Anyhow, I was meaning to ask you. What about a thyroid that grows almost straight up? Does that have any significance?

Last edited by accessn12; 05-30-2007 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Pardon my french. It's been too long. No wonder I got an d.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:39 AM   #11
    kateinalaska
    Inactive
    (female)

kateinalaska HB User

Indeed, "kateinalaska" is a.k.a. "borninquisitive" elsewhere. lol

Helen, I will reply to your post later today. If by chance, you are not online when I do post...I sincerely hope all goes well at your appointment tomorrow and you are able to get to the root of your edema.

Best to you,
    ~Kate

Quote:
    Originally Posted by je46324 View Post
    are you borninquestive ?

Old 05-30-2007, 12:09 PM   #12
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I'm usually around somewhere. It you take a look around, I think you'll find that I'm almost as easy to find as you are.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:34 AM   #13
    kateinalaska
    Inactive
    (female)

kateinalaska HB User

Alright lady & gent...who might you also be known as? lmbo

Old 05-31-2007, 10:40 AM   #14
    kateinalaska
    Inactive
    (female)

kateinalaska HB User

:Speak of the devil!? No, no! Tis me lol

I feel like a stup, I recognize the name Cougar but my memory is flat-lining.
    My thought is and based off my own experience, it's good to get both antibodies tests.

I don't know your second question. It seems that I have read that multinodular thyroid can grow down and if so, by the same token, perhaps up as well?

Just offbeat but last year, in looking into tonsillitis, did read that thyroid can be up into the throat. I guess in uterus, it didn't properly "migrate."

Don't quote me on this, it's been so long.

~Kate

Quote:
    Ah, speak of the devil! Oui, oui monsieur, elle et tres borninquisitive. Did they do cougars tgab? I know they did tpo.

Anyhow, I was meaning to ask you. What about a thyroid that grows almost straight up? Does that have any significance?

Old 05-31-2007, 10:49 AM   #15
    kateinalaska
    Inactive
    (female)

kateinalaska HB User

My appointment...was uneventful. Essentially that...I just have to go out of range for treatment.

I was going to get mad...but instead, didn't. I honestly think he knows very little about this subject. In fact, in giving him my information-I told him, "Wow, this stuff is hard to wrap your head around." and he admitted, that indeed it was. He says that he has tried studying it but it seems his mind, like mine...tends to shut down.
    He said he will read something about it and find himself having to go back a few months later with the same question.

I guess, I just gave up. That said, tomorrow I will be getting a US. At least in searching out for help elsewhere, I will have results in hand.

How did your appointment go, Helen?

~Kate

Closed Thread