It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Pain in the neck??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-30-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
    jenikat
    (female)

jenikat HB User
    Question Pain in the neck??

Hi! I've been taking 50mcg of Synthroid for about a week now, and for the past couple of days I've been having pains in the back of my head and along my neck at the base of my head. Sometimes it gets really bad in the morning especially before I wake up and for a few hours after. I've been taking ibuprofen to ease the headaches a bit, but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this while on Synthroid? I didn't have this issue before I started taking it, so I'm pretty sure it's from the medicine.
    Any advice would help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2007, 03:21 PM   #2
    Barbara_Ann
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User
    Re: Pain in the neck??

I didn't have this as a symptom after taking synthroid but instead had it as a hypoT symptom for about 9 months pre-diagnosis and was taking alleve to no avail.

The pain you describe can be a symptom of thyroid problem don't know about it as a side affect from medication.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:09 PM   #3
    pursie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pursie HB User

i do get neck pain they did find a small mass on my thyroid but said it was ok i also had a horrible swollen glande i also take ibuprofen it hurts and it shoots does yours love from katxxxxxxxxhi barbxxxxxxxx

Old 05-30-2007, 05:16 PM   #4
    darlindeb25
    (female)

darlindeb25 HB User

Wow, the more I read here, the more I learn. I went to the doctor about pains in my neck and shoulders and they said, probably a pinched nerve, lets do a nerve conduction test. The test showed no pinched nerves, so I was told, it's probably neuropathy, take some tylenol. I had no idea that this could be a symptom of thyroid too. I can relieve it with Aleve, but I have to take it day and night for at least 2 weeks for comfort and the pain returns when I stop taking Aleve. One more thing to put on my list!

Thank you.

Celiac Disease--gluten free since 7/00
    Peripheral Neuropathy--DX 10/05

Old 05-30-2007, 10:26 PM   #5
    jenikat
    (female)

jenikat HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pursie View Post
    i do get neck pain they did find a small mass on my thyroid but said it was ok i also had a horrible swollen glande i also take ibuprofen it hurts and it shoots does yours love from katxxxxxxxxhi barbxxxxxxxx
    Yeah, the pain shoots up from the neck through the back of my skull and ends once it reaches the crown area. It really freaked me out the other night, I was crying in bed (usual) and when the "lump in the throat" came up, the pain radiated out from the throat to the neck and up the back of my head. It lingered there pretty intense for a minute and then died down to just an ache. Quick, but still scary

Old 05-31-2007, 07:12 AM   #6
    Barbara_Ann
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

Hi back at you Pursie.

JeniKat - your thyroid balances everything in your body - it can literally cause symptoms all over your body. On the otherhand you have to be careful that you don't attribute every symptom to thyroid. Your pain does sound just like what I experienced. However, experiencing it after being put on medication does sound odd. Have you let your doctor know about this?

Old 05-31-2007, 07:44 AM   #7
    iona_23
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

iona_23 HB User

funny how you mention pain in the neck. cuz i started feeling it too. i went to my doctor about this and he said that it's too early to feel any symptoms. i was like.."ok watever and walked away". i do still feel occasional pain but not enough to really make a big deal about it. do get it checked tho, if it is causing that much pain.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:19 AM   #8
    katkatdd
    Veteran
    (female)

katkatdd HB User

I also have horrid pain in neck, base of skull area as well...

I have degenerative disc disease in cervical spine area and the last dr that did CT scan of neck told me basically the degree of mine is basically what someone in their 50's would have and I am in my 30's... Soooo, I am not sure if the thyroid issues make it worse or if it is just the bad neck. But I noticed that when my levels went wayyy off my neck and head started to really hurt more. Also my chest hurts all the time and into my back area and I wonder if maybe the neck issues are causing the pain in chest and back as well?

But like the other poster stated their pain was there before meds were started and mine was as well. So not sure if the meds for u are causing the problems or if it is simply being aggrevated by the thyroid symptoms!

Old 05-31-2007, 09:36 AM   #9
    lil'missdiagnosis
    (female)

lil'missdiagnosis HB User

Hi Jenikat,

I had pain in my neck, shoulders and head for yours before my diagnosis and meds. I am hyperthyroid and the doctor told me it was pain due to my enlarged thyroid pressing on other structures. A few months after I began meds it has mostly disappeared, my thyroid is smaller now. Good luck to you, I hope you get some relief soon. I remember how horrible that feeling is.

lil'miss

Old 05-31-2007, 09:55 AM   #10
    jenikat
    (female)

jenikat HB User

Thanks guys! I haven't called my doc or anything yet, I'm trying to give it a few days first to see if it subsides before I do. Maybe I just need to give the meds a little more time to do something. I keep hearing that Synthroid takes a while to start working, so maybe it is my thyroid acting up....deciding to get worse before it gets better!! Figures

Closed Thread