It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Will I die without a thyroid?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-15-2007, 04:15 PM   #1
    Septerra
    (female)

Septerra HB User
    Will I die without a thyroid?

I used to have hyperthyroidism when I was 13 years old. I got it removed and now am taking Levoxyl....for the rest of my life. That didn't really bother me at first. I figured I'd be one of those cool kids who had to take medicine everyday, but now, a few years later, I have some concerns about basically living off medicine for the rest of my life. I'm worried. What if there is an emergency where I can't get any of my medicine for weeks at a time, or what if I get stranded on a deserted island with no medicine!(a little far-fetched but you get the idea.) So I want to know what the side effects of not having a thyroid are. I know I'll lose my energy and gain weight and it will be horribly terrible, but I assume I'll die at some point. This idea scares me and I don't like thinking that I'm dependent on this stupid little pill for the rest of forever.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2007, 05:26 PM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: Will I die without a thyroid?

As you have so far, you can live a long and healthy and happy life without a thyroid. Also, if you didn't take meds, it would take about a year to actually get to that deadly point, according to my surgeon.

Many many pp. have non functioning thyroids and are dependent upon medication, my mother lived on medication since she was 12, and is not mid sixties, and had 2 healthy children, and grandchildren, and is very healthy.

Don't worry!

Old 06-15-2007, 05:58 PM   #3
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Hi- I am hypo hashi's although older than you- I am in my 50's. I hated this diagnosis. I am still trying to come to terms with it as well. But, it's the way it is . And without treatment , it would be heart failure from what I have read.... You said you don't like thinking you are dependent on the stupid little pill for the rest of your life. Maybe you could change the way you think about the pill.

I don't like having this disease but I sure am glad that there is the little pill. I am glad I live somewhere with access to drs who diagnosed me. I am glad that someone developed the little pill. I am glad I have the insurance and money to get the little pill. Think of the poor people around the globe who have this disease and no treatment available. Think of the kids with aids and other diseases who get no medical treatment and will die before they are even the age that you were when diagnosed.So , overall I am thankful for the pill .

I know what you mean about worries that you will be caught in some situation without.. You know the pills are really cheap, compared with other meds. Why not just get a bit of a stock pile if that would ease your mind. Of course, watch the exp. date. You are going to be ok. As you get older you will find that so many of your friends are popping these pills too. Thyroid problems are really common.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:16 PM   #4
    Septerra
    (female)

Septerra HB User

Stocking up seems like a good idea but they won't give me that much cause the prescription only renews it's self every so often, and it expires in less than a year. Sure I don't have it that bad, it's just something I wanted to deal with now instead of get bitter over it.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:44 PM   #5
    kmatthew
    Veteran
    (female)

kmatthew HB User

I can assure you from more personal experience than I care to remember that the purple colored pill is the KEY TO FUNCTIONING OR NOT FUNCTIONING, and if I had to choose living a cancer free life supplementing with a pill every day verses no pill and having to have help walking and paying attention, it is certainly not a huge decision to make.
    It can always be worse be happy and don't worry. Like the other person said, thyroid problems are so common, and we are lucky that it is a problem with patience and perserverance and most of all the right level of drugs that can be fixed to a bearable level.

Last edited by kmatthew; 06-15-2007 at 10:45 PM.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:17 AM   #6
    prairie_dawn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

prairie_dawn HB User

septerra,do you get it at a mail order bulk place or just the local pharmacy?

The 1 yr experation date it from the pharmacy NOT the manufacturer of the drug. So you might want to look into that and see what that is. I get mine in bulk every 3months, but I can reorder mine after 2 months. So i always have a supply. Its not what you get, i actually take medicine for too much tsh. What you are on I thought was a suppliment not an actual drug. If i am wrong please someone correct me as eventually i'll be hypo down the road anyway.

stocking up for at least 1 month should be something to try to do.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:04 PM   #7
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Septerra- Yes , I saw on my med container the one yr. exp. Maybe your dr. will cooperate by writing an extra prescription so you can have some stock on hand. And, then if the insurer doesn't cover it - a three month supply isn't that much maybe $30 Your question is entirely valid about what would happen without taking the drug. I respect your having the courage to take a hard look at difficult facts. I am even more thankful for the pill after hearing what the poster said about one year.I don't know about the time frame but it sounds serious in any event. It's probably really hard for a person your age to be confronted with this. It sort of robs you of that youthful feeling that everything goes on and on , but that is a fantasy. You just found out earlier than many. Perhaps your thyroid condition will not make you bitter, as you fear. Maybe it will enhance the meaning and significance of your life . It could do that . Best wishes, you really opened up a very interesting topic. Thank you.

Last edited by osteoblast; 06-16-2007 at 12:08 PM.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:22 PM   #8
    loretta38
    Veteran
    (female)

loretta38 HB User

Yes - you will. Your thyroid is an amazing little butterfly shaped organ that runs most everything in your body. They say you would die within a matter a few months - I have heard without it.

So - if they take it out - like they have mine - I am on replacement meds for life - no if ands or buts - have to take them everyday - forever.

So yes - you can die without your thyroid.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:32 PM   #9
    Septerra
    (female)

Septerra HB User

What if I become homeless and can't get any medication!!! ahahahahaa

Old 06-20-2007, 01:40 PM   #10
    Archie343
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Archie343 HB User

If your thyroid was removed the answer is yes. It will not grow back and you will die some day, just like everybody else.

Few of us know when we'll die, however. Take your meds and you should live a long almost-normal life.

Closed Thread