It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• gallstone attack & thyroid nodule

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-20-2007, 09:30 AM   #1
    zindy
    (female)

zindy HB User
    gallstone attack & thyroid nodule

i had to go to the ER for pain the other night. it started about 10.00pm and by 1.00am i couldn't take it any longer. the ultrasound report said " a gallstone in the infundibulum, at 1.1cm in diameter, mild fatty liver" ast 38. dr found the gallstone by mistake on a ultrasound about 1 1/2 yrs ago., never gave me problems. the strange thing that night i hurt on the right side but now i'm hurting on my left side, around to my back? is this size of gallstone something i can wait on? what i could tell by the pic the stone was at the end of the gallbladder , at the beginning of the cystic duct? i'm getting ready to have thryoid surgery in few weeks. (5.2cm cold complex nodule) does thyroid problems and gallstones have anything in common? thank you for any input!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2007, 05:03 AM   #2
    zindy
    (female)

zindy HB User
    Re: gallstone attack & thyroid nodule

i would really appreciate some input!!!!

Old 06-21-2007, 08:09 AM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

You just took part in a thread on this subject, remember? ~
    [url] http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=508642& [/url]

Yes, sluggish gallbladder trouble might be caused by a long period of untreated hypothyroidism.

Last edited by midwest1; 06-21-2007 at 08:15 AM.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:47 PM   #4
    Clarissa234
    (female)

Clarissa234 HB User

Zindy -

I can tell you one thing for sure - you do NOT want a gallstone of that size to come out of your gallbladder and get stuck in your cystic duct or common bile duct. You think you have pain now...the pain from a stuck stone will send you for an extended stay on a heavy morphine drip at the hospital.

If you can stick to a low fat diet until you can get the gallbladder taken care of, then you MIGHT be ok for a little while. I wouldn't put off getting it taken care of.

The common bile duct is usually about 4.1 mm wide and you are talking about an existing stone that is 11 mm wide (1.1 cm). A stone in the duct is excruciatingly painful, can cause your liver to stop functioning properly, your urine will become the color of iced tea and you will be in dire need of hospitalization.

Or the stone can get lodged in the duct to the pancreas, cause the pancreas to become inflamed and you would possibly need surgery there as well, which can result in you being an insulin dependent diabetic for the rest of your life.

I almost lost my dearest to a stone stuck in the bile duct - you wouldn't think it possible. She spent a week in the hospital, they had to get her stable enough just to do the procedure to remove the gallbladder, then they had to go back in and do a separate procedure to break up the stone stuck in the bile duct.

And, my mother waited far, far too long with gallbladder issues until she had a damaged pancreas. A month in the hospital and roughly $32,000 later - back in the late 1970's - she came out of the surgery as an insulin dependent diabetic because they had to remove part of her pancreas as well as the gallbladder. If only she had gotten treated much sooner, she would have possibly spared her pancreas from being involved.

Gallbladder disease is very common and people dismiss it as "painful, but not serious" when it can be very tragically and unnecessarily serious.

I don't mean to scare you but you shouldn't put off dealing with it.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:37 AM   #5
    zindy
    (female)

zindy HB User

Thank You Clarissa For Your Info! I'm Really Starting To Think Maybe I Should Have The Gallstone Surgery First. I Can Tell Today Its Hurting A Little. I'm Trying To Find A Dr For My Gp To Put In A Referral. I Read On This Site About Doing A Gallbladder Flush??? The Dr Didn't Seem To Worried But I Don't Know If She Had The Full Report From The Er, Buz I Went And Got A Copy For Myself. Put I Have Notice I've Been Nausea Lately Is This Part Of It? I'm At Work So I Have To Go . Thank You Again !!

Old 06-22-2007, 09:45 AM   #6
    Clarissa234
    (female)

Clarissa234 HB User

Nausea is a common symptom of gallbladder trouble.

If you anywhere near central Florida, Dr. John Weise is an excellent surgeon.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:44 AM   #7
    zindy
    (female)

zindy HB User

Where Is He Located?

Old 06-26-2007, 09:34 AM   #8
    Clarissa234
    (female)

Clarissa234 HB User

Jon D. Wiese MD FACS PA