It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Post-FNA pain?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-22-2007, 12:45 PM   #1
    sangenuer
    (female)

sangenuer HB User
    Post-FNA pain?

I'm new here (hi!) but not new to thyroid issues. I was dx with Hashi's about 20 years ago and have taken levoxyl for many years now. I haven't seen an endo in probably 7-8 years, and have had TSH monitored annually or so by my PCPs.

I recently was having vocal problems that I linked to some colds/laryngitis I had over the winter, so I went to an ENT. During the exam, she noted that the right side of my thyroid seemed really enlarged and said I should get an ultrasound. The ultrasound found a nodule on my LEFT thyroid. I guess the enlargement on the right was just the typical Hashi's thing.

I had an ultrasound-guided FNA on the nodule 4 days ago and am still waiting for results. But since then, I have had pain in my neck. It feels very much like a stiff neck--an aching pain, mostly in the back left side of my neck--but with no actual stiffness or muscle tenderness. I'm also having on-and-off pain in my left ear and on the left side of my neck/throat when swallowing. The pain in the back of my neck also gets worse when I swallow. It's all worse when lying down, especially if I'm on my left side. It has lessened somewhat as the days have passed but has kind of plateaued now. I had no pain at all prior to the FNA.

I'm climbing the walls waiting to hear from my dr. I called this morning and left a message asking if they had the results. The receptionist said that if they didn't have them yet, they'd start trying to chase them down. And I'm a little concerned about this new pain. I've searched the web for ongoing neck pain as a complication of FNA and haven't been able to find anything.

Have any of you experienced this? Any words of advice for me?

sangenuer

Last edited by sangenuer; 06-22-2007 at 12:45 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2007, 07:54 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Post-FNA pain?

Answering to bump you up top...

I've never had FNA, but I have read people's experience with it here on the Board. I think the kind of discomfort and the duration you describe is typical for the procedure. I hope someone will chime in and tell you that for certain, and that it will eventually calm down.

Good luck with the results!

Old 06-23-2007, 06:38 PM   #3
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

My FNA only ached for a day or so. Perhaps you can take some advil so you'll be more comfortable, and hopefully the discomfort will end in a couple of days.

Good luck with your results!

Old 06-23-2007, 08:07 PM   #4
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

If your discomfort continues you should call your Doctor........... there has been two people on this board who developed a hematoma from a FNA. They had swelling and discomfort that continued so they went back to their Doctors............ Hematomas are usually easily resolved but any continuing pain or swelling should be reported to your Doctor..........Just to be safe.

I am sure you will have some normal discomfort from this procedure.

FNAs are usually event free but there are risks.........I have not had one (yet) but have done my homework on them.....due to the fact I need to have one and am a big chicken about the needle in the neck..........YEEKS

Let us know how you are doing....................Sincerely, Oleander

Old 06-24-2007, 06:03 AM   #5
    sangenuer
    (female)

sangenuer HB User

Thanks, everyone. The pain is slowly lessening, so hopefully it was just the result of being poked and not a hematoma. There hasn't been any visible swelling.

My doctor's office hadn't received the results yet as of Friday. I think I'm going to call the hospital where I had it done on Monday to see how much longer it will take. If my neck is still sore I'll mention it to them.

I"ll keep you posted. And despite my sore neck, the procedure really wasn't a big deal. Not something I'd want to do again just for fun, but not horrific. So try not to let your fear keep you from doing what you need to.

Thanks again,

sangenuer

Old 06-25-2007, 06:36 PM   #6
    sangenuer
    (female)

sangenuer HB User

I got a call from my doctor's office today. The nurse called to tell me that the results were in and that it's "probably benign," but that I'd need to come in and meet with the doc to discuss my options--it sounds like it's either basically wait, monitor and see or surgery.

I go in on Friday morning. My leaning is to get rid of my thyroid and be done with it, since it doesn't work anyway. Any opinions?

Closed Thread