It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hormone testing? Low normal TSH

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-30-2007, 04:43 PM   #1
    Minerva78
    (female)

Minerva78 HB UserMinerva78 HB User
    Question Hormone testing? Low normal TSH

I wanted to ask whether anyone has any suggestions of what additional hormone testing someone should have done if there may be possible thyroid or pituitary problems. I've been sick for about 3 months now - I have some lupus symptoms, some possible neurological stuff going on, but no real answers because I only have elevated bloodwork that is nonspecific (sedimentation rate).

I have had my TSH tested more times than I care to remember, probably because of concerns about hypothyroid, but it is always normal, usually in the lower range, which goes against hypo. This last bloodwork my TSH was at .43, which was just barely in the normal range. I think it may have decreased over the years, but since I've had it done with several different docs (the rheumatologist, my regular doc, 2 gynecologists) it's hard to keep track of it all. My current doc isn't concerned, since it is still in normal range, but in light of the fact that I am having tons of symptoms (extreme fatigue, muscle and joint aches, sunlight and heat sensitivity, increased headaches, possible seizures, worsening PMDD symptoms, mouth sores, weight gain) I'm looking for any answers I can find!

I go see my gynecologist on Tues (who is also a reproductive endocrinologist) just for a scan of my ovary (due to my history of a dermoid tumor) and I thought maybe I should ask about some bloodwork to run - but what? I don't think I have ever had T3 or T4 tested, but if my TSH was still "normal" a month and a half ago with the rheumatologist, would they even run this? And why would they even consider this if I don't have hyperthyroid symptoms but hypothyroid instead?? I've done some internet researching and found a little info about secondary hypo, which is usually due to a pituitary tumor, and that's about the only thing that could make sense - if any of my symptoms are even hormone related. I've also just seen a neurologist, who is sending me for a TON of additional tests (including an MRI and EEG) so should I even be concerned about hormone testing if I'm having an MRI? I have been insulin resistant in the past, so with my unintentional weight gain I'm sure they won't mind testing that again, but I'm not sure how much to push this other hormone stuff. I've just had so many things wrong with me recently, I never know what is actually important. But my PMDD has gotten SO bad, I'd like to think they would want to check something hormonal - and maybe my gynecologist would be more concerned about the low normal TSH, who knows.

Thanks for any input!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2007, 04:54 PM   #2
    Bran'sNana
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User
    Re: Hormone testing? Low normal TSH

HI! you should also have antibodies testing done, along with free t4 and possibly free t3. The fact that you have lupus or athritis makes it more possible to have another auto-immune disease. You seem to have hypo symptoms, even though the tsh is low, sometimes Hashi's bounces around like that, from what I gather from this board.Hope this helps!

Old 07-01-2007, 04:25 AM   #3
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User
    Re: Hormone testing? Low normal TSH

Hi minerva

Deja vu. I've been sick for 25 years. Possible lupus was one of the first things thrown out on the table after thyroid was ruled out by a normal tsh. My sed rate was up slightly so they figured it had to be some type of autoimmune disease and threw cortisone at me for two years. Amazing it worked but cortisone helps thyroid problems too. Since that time, autoimmune diseases have been ruled out.

I saw a couple neurologists too. Three I think. That was a long time ago.

My last tsh was .55. The highest it's been is 134. The lowest .43. At diagnosis, it was .9. I have secondary hyperthyroidism. Was finally diagnosed hyper 16 years ago. My tsh never goes below normal.

Dermoid cyst? Something to for sure have checked out. I had a cyst which turned out to be a luteal cyst but they were quite concerned before they found that out that it may have been the cause of the hyper. I do believe they call it struma ovarii???? It's ectopic thyroid tissue that can spit out hormones like a thyorid does. I think some of em are capable of spitting out other types of hormones too. Never looked real hard into em cause they are rare and I didn't have one.

Get a free t3 and a free t4 at the minimum. Most docs have never seen it but it is possible to have a normal tsh and out of range or borderline free t's. Not all pituitary problems will show up on mri.

Read a little closer about hyper symptoms. The symptoms you list can be seen in both hypo and hyper.

I'm not saying your problem is thyroid related but it's something that they have not totally ruled out. It's worth pushing.

Good luck,
    Helen

Closed Thread