It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Swollen glands, sore neck, nodules....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-02-2007, 05:48 AM   #1
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
    Swollen glands, sore neck, nodules....

I woke up with swollen glands yesterday.......something I never have...no sore throat or illness of any kind.......other than feeling tired.. I noticed as the day went on I had discomfort in the front of my neck and almost into my left ear......... so I thought I maybe am getting a little sore throat or virus. Well last night? It kept me awake all night.......it is right about where my dominant nodule is......... I am wondering if the cystic part broke or something......... If I touch the front of my neck it is tender......It is not sore throat or sick flu like.....it is more like tender.

It is my birthday today. I feel exhausted from not sleeping.. ..It progressively got worse through the night... my neck is sore and I have discomfort when I swallow on left side...... it is not virus or sore throat like........... needless to say I am upset........ I feel like crying.....I am supposed to leave on Thursday to California for my Dad's 94th birthday and have taken 10 days off so I can have some fun while there.

I guess I will start with my GP today........... has anyone else had these symptoms from their nodules.......... My neck feels like I would imagine it to feel if I had a FNB..........it is a soreness from within.

Sorry to be a whimp........... I have taken some Motrin......

Thanks once again for your shoulders and ears.............Oleander........
    I am 54 today and I cannot believe I am 54 !!! It came so fast.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2007, 09:03 AM   #2
    cougars
    (female)

cougars HB User
    Re: Swollen glands, sore neck, nodules....

Hi Oleander53,

Happy Birthday! I too have multiple nodules, no positive ABs, normal (hyper side) labs and diagnosed with Hashis from FNB (which by the way is no big deal and I had NO discomfort from that like you are describing).

But, last spring and summer, before I knew I had nodules, I had a sore throat that just wouldn't go away though I don't remember having swollen glands....I don't know if that was related to the nodules or not. It finally went away but stayed around off and on for a couple months.

So, I'm not much help, but wanted to tell you to hang in there and hopefully your GP will have a read on this....maybe the motrin will help! You have to get better to enjoy your trip to Calif! You are only 54 years young!

Best,

cougars

Old 07-02-2007, 12:53 PM   #3
    angiega
    (female)

angiega HB User

((((Ole)))) So sorry to hear you are not feeling well.

I don't have any info to help but wanted you to know you are in my thoughts and prayers. I hve the same feelings but I am just one week post TT, so that doesn't count.

Please let us know what the doctor says. Praying for a VERY Happy Birthday and a safe, fun filled time with your dad.

Angie

Old 07-02-2007, 01:05 PM   #4
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User

Bummer not feeling good on your birthday but I'll still wish you a happy birthday. Save me a piece of cake. This mules a trotting as fast as it can.

hugs,
    Helen

Old 07-02-2007, 01:53 PM   #5
    sharonNJ
    (female)

sharonNJ HB User

happy birday! So sorry you are not feeling well.....especially on your birthday. I have had very similar symptoms. I have a 3.2 cm nodule on the left side of my thyroid. I have had swollen glands, tenderness on my neck around the nodule and dull ear ache. My neck also feels full and swollen. Another strange symptom i have is pulling in the jaw/ear area. The Dr. said that was muscular, like a pulled muscle. I KNOW it was not!!! When I was last in to see my dr. he didn't really seem concerned about any of that. I have had a chronic swollen lymphnode on the right side which I have been watching with sonograms. When I had the biopsy done on the thyroid nodule they tried to biopsy that lymph node but couldn't reach it. I came very close to haveing the lymph node surgically removed but ended up not having that surgery. I know I am not much help, but I am writing to let you know I have the same symptoms that can last up to a month or more. This week my neck feels better as do my ears. I thought the same thing you did that maybe something was leaking from my thyroid nodule (yuck) into my neck area. The Dr. didn't think so. Anyway, I take ibuprofen which helps somewhat. I am scheduled for another biopsy on 7/26. I am sure it will be negative again but just need the assurance as I did not agree to have my thyrod removed which was recommended by my Dr. I hope you make it to california to celebrate your dad's b-day. You are lucky to have longevity in the family!!!! Sorry this wasn't more helpfule, just wanted to share my very similar situation. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Shar

Old 07-02-2007, 02:14 PM   #6
    birchtree
    Veteran
    (female)

birchtree HB Userbirchtree HB User

Happy Birthday, Oleander - and many many many more!

Hope you feel better soon....what did your doctor say??? Please keep us posted - hang in there...

Birch

Old 07-02-2007, 02:54 PM   #7
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

If it's not strep throat or allergies, (or even if it is) pop some advil/motrin (if it's very very painful you can combine with tylenol), and enjoy your vacation and your birthday!!!

I wouldn't worry about an FNA, it's more scary to think about than to have it.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:06 PM   #8
    Ozlady
    (female)

Ozlady HB User

Happy birthday Oleander, Sorry you are feeling so rotten, can't really add anything more that what has been said already except to say maybe you have been stressing about your upcoming scan and this has lowered your immune system. Hope the doc has some answers for you.

Cheers

Pam

Old 07-02-2007, 05:37 PM   #9
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks for all the well wishes............ THANKS I NEEDED THEM XXXX00000

I did go to my GP today and he did not like my swollen glands and how tender my neck was in the thyroid area........ I am running a low grade temp...... we live in a heavy tick populated area and he was worried I had tick fever or thyroiditis.......... so he put me on Doxycycline twice a day for 10 days and wants to see me in the morning......... I will have a thyroid ultrasound if not better by tomorrow......He knows I am having a thyroid scan the last week of July.......... so he will check me tomorrow......... I am full of motrin right now and feel better than when I got up today...........

I asked him if he thought I was over reacting because of my thyroid and he said NO.......... So we will see how I feel tomorrow.

Thanks to all of you...............really thank you very much............. Oleander

Old 07-03-2007, 06:30 PM   #10
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hey everyone.......Here is an update.

My thyroid is so tender and I felt pretty sick all day so my GP sent me for an ultrasound today........... the ultrasound tech there has done all of my US. She could see the difference in my one nodule on the left.......it has increased 1 cm and now is 2.7cm and that is right where my neck hurts the worst on the left. Not much change but they are considering thyroiditis. I go back tomorrow for more labs.........and am on antibiotics.

My ultrasound results.

Rt lobe 3.9 x 1.3 x 1.5cm Left lobe 2.9 x 2 x 2.5cm
    Isthmus 4.2 mm in thickness
    Right lobe is heterogeneous and multiple solid nodules. 2 largest is 6 x 6 mm and 5x 5 mm.
    Left lobe the parenchyma is very heterogeneous with a complex mass in the mid portion measuring 2.7 x 1.6 cm. Also a 4mm cyst in the mid portion noted.

Impression:
    Multiple nodular denisites and complex cystic changes. The most complex change is in the left lobe of the thyroid. ( where my pain is). Multiple scattered very irregular appearing nodular densities throughout both lobes. Recommend surgical follow up of complex mass in left lobe.

So swollen glands, low fever, thyroid is tender and worse on right side.....

I am staying on my antibiotics and if feeling better am going on trip this Friday.. I have my CT scan for cold nodules moved up to July 18th..I get back the 16th......

So I am going in for a check up tomorrow. on 4th of July?........ they are working so they get Friday off............ I am hoping to feel better by then......

Have a happy 4th..............

What do you think of my US? Different Radiologist read it today.......... fresh eyes..............See his surgical recommendation........

Oleander

Old 07-03-2007, 07:08 PM   #11
    Ozlady
    (female)

Ozlady HB User

Hey O....Hmmm saw that comment, how do you feel about that? I'm like you research everything to death but in the end you have to make a decision aye?
    I don't have a medical background like you but my mother was a nurse and my eldest daughter is a doctor so I have inherited a "trust but verify" attitude, to quote one of your past presidents...lol

It will be interesting to see what the scan shows, do you think you will go for the FNA if it is cold? The chances of anything nasty is pretty slim with the multiple nodules. ahhh decisions, decisions I forget, do you have any family history of thyroid probs?

At least you won't have so long to wait for the scan which is good.

Hope you are feeling ok now

Cheers

Pam

Old 07-04-2007, 06:59 AM   #12
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pam, thanks for the response.........

Yes my Mother had thyroid cancer at 48 and had a TT. We have no idea what type she had......she lived to 74. Was on Armour and never had a problem that she ever discussed.... but she has been gone now 14 years so I cannot ask her. no records available.

If my nodules come back cold? I will probably let them go in and take a look and frozen section....that was brought up to me... we will see what the scan says........

Today I am a bit better.........my throat on my left side is still very tender and I can feel it when I swallow or turn my head..... I go in for a check up today. Thanks for your support.

Surely I will feel better by Friday to fly home to Cali........... THANKS, Oleander

Closed Thread