It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Please Help DX with Graves Disease and have HIVES from I think medication

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-14-2007, 01:12 PM   #1
    AugusLion
    (female)

AugusLion HB User
    Please Help DX with Graves Disease and have HIVES from I think medication

Hi, I was diagnosed with Graves Disease in June 07. I started on Mehimazole but on July 8 my hands and feet got extremely itchy abd by the next day I had a rash and Hives all over ( except my face). I still have the hives and rash 6 days later.

My endo said to start the PTU today. I am scared becasue of thereaction I had to methamizole, but my heart is racing again and I have that feeling in my throat like I'm being strangled - Has anyone had a similar symptoms ?? Has anyone ever tried 1 drug and then theother worked ??

I would appreciate any help - Thank you in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2007, 05:17 PM   #2
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User
    Re: Please Help DX with Graves Disease and have HIVES from I think medication

I had that type of reaction to PTU. I was switched to methimazole without any problem. I was told to take benadryl if I experienced a problem with the methimazole.

Old 07-14-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
    AugusLion
    (female)

AugusLion HB User

Thank you so much for your response. I started the 50 mg of the PTU this afternoon. I have a runny nose now and still have the Hives but the racing heart and palpatations bother me more. I have tried the benedryl it knocks me out.
    Do you have Graves Disease ? Are you still taking the medication ? Have you ever had a tight feeling in your neck ??
    This is all new to me and I feel so overwhelmed with everything that is happening to my body.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:17 PM   #4
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

They have over the counter antihistamines that aren't supposed to knock you out. You may wanna try one of them. An oatmeal bath sometimes soothes the hives too. Throw some oatmeal in something like pantyhose and after wetting it, rub it gently on the bad areas.

No. I don't have graves. I'm some type of weird mutant hyper. Born hyper. Still technically hyper 48 years later. I took anti-thyroid drugs for 3 years but they kinda mess with my type of hyper a little too much. I take beta blockers instead. They help a lot.

When the thyroid swells (that's what they call a goiter), it often gives you a tight feeling in your neck. The one thing you have to realize is that the thyroid affects every organ and tissue in the body. All kinds of weird things happen and at times it does seem overwhelming. You need to remember that with proper treatment, you're going to do just fine.

There's a lot to learn. Stick around and ask questions. A book that a lot of people recommend on here is called Thyroid for Dummies. I haven't read it cause it came out long after I learned the basics, but it sounds like it might make for some good reading.

I think you'll like it around here. I shoulda given you a proper welcome but I had my head stuck in some research material and wasn't thinking, so hi

They'll be some more people along soon. There's lots of graves people around to share what they know.

Take care,
    Helen

The Following User Says Thank You to accessn12 For This Useful Post:
    brianna240 (04-20-2011)
    Old 07-14-2007, 07:56 PM   #5
    ShakesMcThyroid
    (male)

ShakesMcThyroid HB User

I have Graves and when I first started on methimazole, I had the super itches. Like my whole body would itch. Also, my entire torso would break out in hives. It was kinda freaky.

So I stopped taking it. I didn't go on PTU, I just stopped (I don't recommend you doing this). When my hyperthyroidism began to bother me again, I started back on the methimazole. And from then, I didn't have any more symptoms. Dunno why. Maybe my body had to adjust. But that's what happened.

As others suggested, taking a beta blocker like propranolol will help with the racing heart or chest pains you may have, but it will not help with the palpitations (i.e. forceful heart beat). That's the worst part.

Shakes

Old 07-15-2007, 04:03 AM   #6
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Actually, shakes, at the right dose, the betas do help with the palpitations. Most docs don't realize that hypers often require a higher dose at more frequent dosing intervals than a normal person would. Part of the disease often causes an increase in beta receptors in the body. I was originally prescribed 40mg propranolol which did help a lot. It requires 160-240mg to actually control most of my symptoms, including the palps.

Any chance when you went back on the methimazole that it was made by a different manufacturer? Wonder if it might be one of the inert ingredients that you had a reaction to????

Old 07-15-2007, 06:12 PM   #7
    AugusLion
    (female)

AugusLion HB User
    Smile Re: Please Help DX with Graves Disease and have HIVES from I think medication

Thank you everyone for the advice. I have never felt so frustrated or so helpless and it is comforting to know there are others who care.

I have been on the PTU for 24 hrs now. The hives and rash are still coming but they do not seem any worse.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the Methimazole out of my system ??

Can thyroid problems cause hives and a rash ???

I am going to ask my Dr. for a betablocker. Is it okay to take that with the PTU ??

Helen, Thank you for those websites. The thyroid.com is very helpful.

Has anyone had surgery rather then the Radio Active Iodine. My Dr. has said if the medication doesn't work I will have to go with the Radio Active Iodine. The thought of putting radioactive anything in my body makes my heart race just thinking about it.

Again Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to AugusLion:
    brianna240 (04-20-2011)
    Old 07-15-2007, 08:32 PM   #8
    ShakesMcThyroid
    (male)

ShakesMcThyroid HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by accessn12 View Post
    Actually, shakes, at the right dose, the betas do help with the palpitations. Most docs don't realize that hypers often require a higher dose at more frequent dosing intervals than a normal person would. Part of the disease often causes an increase in beta receptors in the body. I was originally prescribed 40mg propranolol which did help a lot. It requires 160-240mg to actually control most of my symptoms, including the palps.

Any chance when you went back on the methimazole that it was made by a different manufacturer? Wonder if it might be one of the inert ingredients that you had a reaction to????
    As far as the dose, the doctor and I adjusted my dosage. And it didn't work for me. What it did was reduce my heart rate. The more I took, the more it slowed down. I started getting scared when my heart dipped below 60 bpm. Unfortunately, the palpitations remained just as forceful. I guess beta blockers affect people differently.

Edited to add:
    After reading my statement above regarding beta blockers, I realized my tone was 'I'm the center of the universe.' I didn't mean it to come across that way. I'm amending my statement to:
    In my experience, the beta blockers did not help with my palpitations, but it has helped many others.

And there is no chance the methimazole was from a different manufacturer. Cause it came from the same prescription bottle I stopped using.

Aren't hormone problems terrible?

Shakes

Last edited by ShakesMcThyroid; 07-15-2007 at 09:25 PM.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:56 AM   #9
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AugusLion View Post
    Thank you everyone for the advice. I have never felt so frustrated or so helpless and it is comforting to know there are others who care.
    Don't ever feel alone. We're here. And you are not helpless. You have taken the first big step toward doing something about it.

I have been on the PTU for 24 hrs now. The hives and rash are still coming but they do not seem any worse.
    Did you try one of those other otc antihistamines?

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the Methimazole out of my system ??
    Not really but my guess would be a day to a week. Allergies can be funny.

Can thyroid problems cause hives and a rash ???
    You see it more often with hypothyroid but there's nothing that says a hyper can't have allergies too.

I am going to ask my Dr. for a betablocker. Is it okay to take that with the PTU ??
    Yes

Helen, Thank you for those websites. The thyroid.com is very helpful.
    It was a book, Thyroid for Dummies, not a website. You can get it at bookstores, order a copy online or get it at most libraries. There's lots of websites out there too. Learn, learn, learn and you can take control of this.

Has anyone had surgery rather then the Radio Active Iodine. My Dr. has said if the medication doesn't work I will have to go with the Radio Active Iodine. The thought of putting radioactive anything in my body makes my heart race just thinking about it.
    There's several people around here that have had surgery. It's usually the docs that like rai cause it's easy for them. You may wanna read and do some research before you make any major decisions. A lot of people do well on the right dose of meds.
    Take care,
    Helen

Old 07-16-2007, 03:28 AM   #10
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Shakes,

You are the center of the universe. Just like me and everyone else is.

I will admit, betas aren't perfect. I also sometimes forget that what I accept as normal isn't always everyone else's ideal and that the palps can be scarey as all get out at times. I should clarify. I don't get them as often with the betas. I'm also able to maintain a pulse between 80 and 100 on betas. I know not all people can do that. I do know though, that betas can help most hypers maintain a halfway decent quality of life until the thyroid meds kick in. Most hypers can take em without problems and you gotta admit, when you're really hyper, anything that helps makes a big difference and betas work a lot faster than the anti-thyroid meds. They start working immediately where the meds can take weeks.

Weird on the methimazole.

Oh, btw, I love your username! lol

Helen

The Following User Says Thank You to accessn12 For This Useful Post:
    brianna240 (04-20-2011)
    Closed Thread