It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Normal Labs, Feeling Awful

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-19-2007, 03:43 AM   #1
    fjones1
    (female)

fjones1 HB User
    Normal Labs, Feeling Awful

I finally got my labs back from the Endo. I had the test done on July 11. These are the results.

T4 Free Direct 1.52 (0.61 - 1.76)
    TSH 0.627 (0.350 - 5.50)

I didn't get the T3 done because that's for hyperthyroid, isn't it? My question is if my lab results are normal then why do I still feel terrible and unable to function? I'm taking .075 mg of generic Synthroid. My TSH was 10 back in May. I'm still having dizziness, a lot of balance problems, and my eyes are giving me a lot of problems. Sometimes they really burn and I get a lot of pressure around them. Also my eyelids have this dark shadow on them now. Since my thyroid labs are normal I guess I have to rule out thyroid as the cause of these symptoms, right? Shouldn't I be feeling at least a little better by now?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2007, 06:13 AM   #2
    Kharma
    (female)

Kharma HB User
    Re: Normal Labs, Feeling Awful

For hypothyroid you should have both free T4 and free T3 tested. If you have an autoimmune disorder like hashimotos, you're body might not be converting T4 into T3 effectively and that could be the issue for you. My TSH and free T4 looked fine too but my free T3 was much too low. Id' get that checked out. Have they ever checked you for thyroid antibodies?

Old 07-19-2007, 08:26 AM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I agree. The free T3 must be done, because your FT4 is adequate but you aren't feeling substantially better.

Consider too, that you may have passed your optimal FT4 level and that it could now be too high. Overmedication can feel just as bad as under-.

But I think most likely your FT3 is just still too darn low. If it isn't, your body probably just needs more time to heal. This won't happen overnight.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:47 PM   #4
    fjones1
    (female)

fjones1 HB User

Thanks for the info. My endo didn't a T3 this last time. My GP did one I think, but I'm having a hard time getting an appointment with him to find out what my last results were I've had T3 tests done in the past, here are some of the results.

T3 Total - 0.70 (0.59 - 1.74)
    T3 Uptake - 40 (24 - 39)
    T3 Thyronine Total - 87 (80-200)

Those look to be in the normal ranges. The T3 is confusing becuase they always use different ranges and I'm not sure if it's the total T3 or free T3. Also, I'm trying to wean off the labetalol for my blood pressure per my doctor's recommendations. I have another appointment with the endo on September 7. I'll get the T3 tested then.

Also, is the T3 drug Armor? Is that what they would add to the T4 drugs if they aren't working? Thanks.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:54 AM   #5
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fjones1 View Post
    I've had T3 tests done in the past, here are some of the results.

T3 Total - 0.70 (0.59 - 1.74)
    T3 Uptake - 40 (24 - 39)
    T3 Thyronine Total - 87 (80-200)

Those look to be in the normal ranges.
    The "T3 Total" and "T3 Thyronine Total" are the same test, just different names. Your results are abysmally low; even though they're still in range, they are too low for at least 90% of the population. Even though the free T3 is a better test than the total T3, your total T3 is so very low that it's a safe assumption your free T3 is too. You would definitely stand to benefit from adding some T3 to your thyroid medication.

"T3 Uptake" is a useless test that is in no way related to your T3 level. Ignore it.

When a test is a "free" or "total" T measurement, the name printed on the lab sheet will say one or the other, just like the ones you typed above.

Your user information doesn't say it, but I get a sense that you live in the UK. Would I be right? The options for adding supplemental T3 are limited there. Apparently the NHS doesn't believe T3 is important, so it's hard to have any of their practitioners prescribe it. There was a member from England here for a long time - don't know what has become of her - who found a doctor to prescribe Armour for her, which had to be imported from the US, if I remember correctly. She felt it was worth every bit of the trouble she went through to get it.

Armour Thyroid contains both T4 and T3 in one tablet. It's made from dessicated pig thyroid glands, a natural source of thyroid hormones. Patients most often take it alone instead of adding it to levothyroxine, although a few take a little Armour in addition to their levoT if their T3 levels remain low on levoT alone.

Levothyroxine is synthetic, lab-made T4-only hormone. There are many brands of levoT in the US; there is only one synthetic T3 hormone in the US that I'm aware of, Cytomel. I'm not sure there is an equivalent T3 synthetic drug in the UK.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:01 PM   #6
    fjones1
    (female)

fjones1 HB User

Thanks again for the information.

Actually I live right here in the United States. I live in the Washington DC area (Maryland suburbs). The problem I am having with doctors is that I can't get them to listen to how I'm feeling. They just look at the labs and if they're in the normal ranges that's it for treatment. I did talk to my endo today. She said she wasn't testing me for the T3 because I am only taking Synthroid, T4 so it wouldn't make sense to test for the T3. That doesn't make a lot of sense, but I heard her out. She was saying that because my labs were 'normal' she wouldn't change the dose, and she didn't need to see me for another year. But aren't you supposed to keep a close eye on thyroid? Isn't it every six weeks that you get it tested just to be safe? My endo said that they sometimes her office does prescribe a T4 and T3 combo as a last resort. She said because I was still having symptoms I should follow up with my GP to rule out anything else serious, especially anemia. I have been having some iron issues. Some of my bloodwood levels are slightly out of range, like my hemaglobin and a few others. I'm not anemic yet, (I was once before), but I do think the low iron may be causing some of the fatigue. But for the most part I think my endo is finished with me as far as thyroid goes. So I'm going to follow up with my GP if I can ever get in touch with him again. And I think I'll have him keep an eye on my thyroid.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:19 PM   #7
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oh lord... I hear something new and horrible about endos here almost every day. This one is it for today.

You've had previous T3 tests that came in at the basement level. That's too low! I can't stress to you how much that will affect your energy level, and maybe a lot of other things too. You must have your free T3 tested by an MD who understands that an adequate level is every bit as important as FT4. A reasonable target level for FT3 is mid-range, no lower.

I don't know a lot about low iron, but I know enough that not only your iron level should be tested, but also ferritin. Ferritin is the blood carrier for iron; if it's low, you can supplement all you want with iron pills but it'll get you nowhere. Hypothyroids frequently suffer from low ferritin.

Once the thyroid has been stabilized with an optimum dose and symptoms have been eradicated, testing once or twice a year is sufficient. I finally have reached the point where my MD said to return in a year, after I've been in treatment with him for 3 1/2 years.

No one should be telling you your thyroid is stable at this point. Your levels don't appear to be optimized. I wouldn't give up until you get someone to test your free T3 and agree that it needs to be higher.

(Where the heck did I get the idea you were in Great Britain somewhere? )

Closed Thread