It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• What is a "normal" T4 range

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-19-2007, 11:01 AM   #1
    cahille2
    (female)

cahille2 HB User
    What is a "normal" T4 range

Hi, I'm new here. I've be diagnosed with hypothyroid since I was 16 years old. I'm now 45 year old. Until about a year ago, when my health insurance changed and my doctor reitred I was taking synthroid with no problems at all and was feel great. I was switched to the generic brand and my dose was lowered. I feel symptoms again and am NOT happy! My most recent lab results are on 4/6/07 my T4 was 1.22 and TSH was 0.19 does anyone know what these test results mean? I had one doctor tell me because one reading was low and one was high she needed to reduce my medication.....another doctor told me not to lower it or my symptoms would become worse. Who do you listen to? I currently have in a request to see an endocrinologist. I have also had a hysterectomy back in 1999 and take estrogen only replacement therapy. I've read some things about not taking estrogen with thyroid but I'm not clear if that means don't take them at the same time, or don't take both pills period and rather take one or the other. Confused? Me too? Any help out there? Thanks so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2007, 02:03 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: What is a "normal" T4 range

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cahille2 View Post
    I feel symptoms again and am NOT happy! My most recent lab results are on 4/6/07 my T4 was 1.22 and TSH was 0.19 does anyone know what these test results mean?
    Yes, it means your dose shouldn't have been reduced. Your T4 is not excessive, and if you felt well on the other dose, it should've been left alone.

Was the "T4" test for total T4 or free T4? If it was total T4, it was the wrong test to do on someone taking estrogen. Strike 1. If the MD is dosing according to TSH only... Strike 2. Why even bother to test T4 if the result is going to be ignored anyway?

Do whatever you can to restore the dose that made you feel well. Find a doctor who knows more about thyroid if this one won't do that.

And BTW... Welcome to the board.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:20 AM   #3
    cahille2
    (female)

cahille2 HB User

Thank you very much. I wrote that down and will discuss it with my Dr. I DID go back to my "almost" original dose and did go back to synthroid.......but I can't get back to the "actual original" dose until it is prescribed again. I hate this. Can't wait to see the new Dr.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:40 AM   #4
    cahille2
    (female)

cahille2 HB User

MIDWEST1, Hi there.........I just looked up my last test results and here is what they were, tell me what you think. They tested me for T4, CBC, TSH. There is no "freeT4" and "T3" isn't there at all, shouldn't it be? My T4 was 1.22 and TSH was 0.19 CBC is long and reads everything in the middle range. Have any thoughts on this and what I should ask for on my next visit. Thank you again

Old 07-20-2007, 09:23 AM   #5
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Without the lab's reference range for T4, I really can't say anything for sure. Do you have that range? The range consists of two numbers, perhaps in brackets or parentheses, something like this ~ [.8 - 1.8 ]

One thing I can say with absolute certainty, they should NOT be testing only your total T4 as long as you're taking estrogen. You must insist on a free T4 test. Total T4 will be artificially elevated in the presence of estrogen, so your level will look to a stupid doctor as if it's high enough when it really isn't.

You're going to have to stand up for yourself on this. I know that's hard when insurance is uncooperative, but your current doctor will not serve you well with these methods.

Learn as much as you can from reputable sources so that you'll gain enough knowledge to argue the point with your MD. Thyroid for Dummies is a great book from which to learn the basics.

Good luck to you!

Last edited by midwest1; 07-20-2007 at 09:24 AM.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:03 PM   #6
    cahille2
    (female)

cahille2 HB User

I screwed up on my last post. Misread my lab tests. Here they are and this time they are correct. I was in a hurry earlier. Okay I DID have a Free T4 after all.........I did NOT have just a plain T4, does that matter? I did NOT have a T3 at all, Free or otherwise, and I had a TSH. Below are my results. Hope this makes sense. From what you've said it appears I should be asking for a Free T3, a regular T4 in addition to my Free T4, right? And I will read up on all I can before seeing my Dr. so I don't get bullied into believing whatever they want me to believe. Thanks again.

Free T4 was 1.22, standard range is 0.70-1.48ng/dl
    TSH was 0.19, standard range is 0.4-4.00 uIU/ml
    CBC all were in normal range, too many to list unless it would be helpful?

Closed Thread