It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• TPO Antibodies - Acupuncture

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-25-2007, 03:04 PM   #1
    AugusLion
    (female)

AugusLion HB User
    Question TPO Antibodies - Acupuncture

Hi,

I have been on PTU for almost 2 weeks after taking Methimazole for 3 weeks and breaking out in Hives. I am still breaking out in Hives.

I have been to the allergist who says my TPO Antibody at 440 is very high and that my antibodies are attacking my thyroid. My Endo is saying she thinks I am allergic to something ( other then the medication ).

Does anyone know if a TPO of 440 is high ??? Has anyone ever tried Selinium (sp) ???

I went to an Acupuncturist last night for the 1 st time. She pressed on my throat and I almost jumped through the roof. She said it was my thyroid.
    Has anyone tried acupuncture ?? It is very expensive but if it will help I will try anything to stop the itch and heart palpatations.

Finally, does anyone know how often I should have blood drawn. My last TSH was 0.014 and my FreeT4 was 1.8. That was on July 10. This morning I woke up feeling very tired and sluggish and even though my heart rate is slower I still get the heart palps.

Okay, one more sorry - Does anyone know what the difference is between Methimazole and PTU. I thought i read on this Web site that PTU does something different. Thank you -

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2007, 03:24 PM   #2
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User
    Re: TPO Antibodies - Acupuncture

The causes for hives can often be very hard to pinpoint. Hives are usually an allergic reaction. It's not totally unheard of though and probably not totally coincidental that some people with autoimmune disorders get hives.

As to acupuncture, I just don't know. I don't think it would have been around for this many years if it didn't work. I don't think it's a cure-all but sometimes something like that is worth at least looking into.

440 is medium high. Selenium in your situation is probably not needed. You're most likely getting plenty in your diet.

6 to 8 weeks is the norm for starting off with the thyroid testing. If you're on a real high dose, probably better for every 4-6. Once things are stabilized, it goes to every 3 months, then 6 months.

PTU has the ability to block the conversion of T4 to T3. Methimazole doesn't. When they need to get your T3 down fast, ptu is usually used as a first choice. They both end up with the same results over time. Other than that, they pretty much have the same action. The ptu usually has to be taken in more doses during the day than the methimazole and that's one of the reasons the methimazole is now usually prescribed more often than the ptu.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:50 PM   #3
    AugusLion
    (female)

AugusLion HB User

Thank you, accessn12.

I keep waiting for the itch to stop and to feel normal again. I guess I will continue with other alternatives like acupuncture.

Is there aWeb Site that gives the ranges of lab results ???

Old 07-25-2007, 05:42 PM   #4
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User

You might want to try an oatmeal bath. Put a handful of oatmeal in the leg of some old pantyhose. Rub it over your skin as you're bathing. It can be quite soothing for hives. It's what we used to use in the olden days. Works for chickenpox too.

Many lab web sites give the ranges. None that I can post here cause they are commerical sites and I don't wanna violate the posting policy on that. Sorry. Perhaps if you try a search using the name of the test such as tpo antibodies +range, you will probably come up with something.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:26 AM   #5
    Clarissa234
    (female)

Clarissa234 HB User

AugusLion,

I wanted to share my experience with acupuncture with you.

I'm diagnosed Hashi's/hypO. I am currently undergoing acupuncture treatment as well as taking Levoxyl. My APO was greater than 1000 when I first started acupuncture. I do not suffer from hives now, although I have had them in the past when under extreme duress.

My health insurance doesn't cover acupuncture, but they referred me to an acupuncture doctor that they felt was skilled. She gives me a discount for being referred by my insurance company. It's still not cheap, but it is definitely working on a myriad of things for me. She is from Taiwan, has been performing acupuncture in the US since the mid-70's. She's also a doctor of traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), although I haven't been treated with TCM. I pay $52.50 per treatment and each treatment lasts approximately 45 minutes. She said that people who study in the US to become acupuncture doctors take 3 years of classes and then get their license. She said their studies are inadequate.

My acupuncturist told me that Hashimoto's can be treated, but takes a long time; other ailments can be treated in just one session. She routinely treats me with about 30 needles, sometimes slightly more, sometimes slightly less. Sometimes she treats me on one side of my body, then has me flip over and treats me on the other side. This involves a lot more than 30 needles. The needles are placed from head to toe, in various places, including around my thyroid gland.

My results: allergies, recurring sinusitis, acid reflux were all treated and gone after 4 treatments. I've found acupuncture works for immediate fever reduction and immediate muscle pain relief (from overexertion). It has also helped, but not cured, my excessive water retention. She has most recently started treating me for my inability to wind down at night and fall sleep easily. I'm not sure how well this works yet because we just added that treatment.

Acupuncture is also great for plantar fasciitis - if you can stand the treatment. I personally had a hard time with this one. Acupuncture needles do not hurt or feel anything like regular blood draw needles, allergy testing needles or IV sticks. That is, except for when they are placed in the bottom of your feet. The treatment really, really works, but the bottom of my feet are so sensitive that it was almost unbearable and I felt like hot coals were searing into my feet the entire time the needles were in my feet. I have a fairly high pain tolerance. Although I endured it twice and my PF is better, it's not cured. I don't know if I'm willing to undergo that specific treatment again.

All in all, I feel that acupuncture is a great compliment to the Western medicine and a wonderful alternative to numerous prescriptions.

I hope your acupuncture doctor is highly skilled as mine is and that you have much success.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:46 PM   #6
    iona_23
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

iona_23 HB User

try it out. see if it works for you. different things work for different people. i'm open to acupuncture, if i was given the opportunity to try, i would do it. as for the heart palps, i got some reiki treatments done that got rid of them for awhile. i still have them once in a blue moon but they don't stick around so long. if ur worried about ur 440 being high, mine is well over the 1000+, so imagine where my thyroid is at this point. some people have it even like in the 200,000+. but they say that the number shouldn't make the symptoms any different. cuz we all get the same symptoms whether we are at 400s or at 200,000. it's just showing that our thyroid is eventually failing. as for the meds that u mentioned, i was never on those so i dont know what to say about that. i totally agree that this hashi's can drive a person bonkers, just have to keep a positive mind that things do eventually return back to normal. watever "normal" means. goodluck.

Closed Thread