It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Any school teachers out there with thyroid?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-28-2007, 05:55 PM   #1
    sparkie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sparkie HB User
    Any school teachers out there with thyroid?

I lost my job recently and now have an opportunity to switch careers teaching secondary math. Before I even pursue this, since whatever has been going on with the thyroid I have been having memory problems. I was wondering if anyone out there taught and how thyroid affected your job. My mind feels like mush and yet I have an engineering math background...sad, isn't it? I question whether I can even do this (I wouldn't have questioned this 18 months ago!!!). Anyone out there care to remark on how their memory affects their job?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2007, 07:32 PM   #2
    Red_roni_4
    (female)

Red_roni_4 HB User
    Re: Any school teachers out there with thyroid?

Well I have not been diagnosed with Thyroid problems at this time. I do however work in a secondary school. I am the computer lab manager. Many of our students are very difficult. That does make it challenging and when you can help them it is great. It is however, a very stressful job. It may depend on the exact subject you teach. If you can teach upper level, such as Calculus, or Algebra II it might be easier. It is very difficult to teach Algebra I to freshman due to behavior problems. Please don't do teach because of what I have said here. With your background, you must have a lot of knowledge to share with the students. They do need good math teachers. There is a teacher shortage in our area. You just need to weigh everything. You can always try it out and see what happens. Maybe your Thyroid problems will get better. Good Luck with whatever you decide and take care.

Roni

Old 07-28-2007, 09:32 PM   #3
    Red Maple
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User

I have worked for a little over 30 years now in education, in many capacities. My degree is in secondary ed. but I worked as a school secretary and in school administration for many years. My school experience have been with alternative school situations, a young mothers program in the public schools, and administration in a private school that specialized in learning disabilities (lots of ADHD etc.) The students I worked with have been very difficult by the very nature of the programs I choose to work in. I have also worked in business management, human resources, and as a training manager for a large corporation. I recently retired after this past school year. For me, I did not find my memory problems/brain fog due to hypothyroidism to be significantly different in any profession I have had. Teaching in a secondary school is challenging, but so are many other jobs if one truly applies themselves to excellence in thier performance. The first year teaching is the hardest. After that you will have built up a curriculum that will only continue to improve as you go, and experience to draw from in future years. Your memory and brain fog will most likely be a challenge, but with diligence and determination, and most of all patience with the students, you probably will find it very fulfilling. Our schools need good teachers in all subjects so very badly, please don't let your thyroid problems deter you from a very important job. Good luck to you in whatever you decide.

Last edited by Red Maple; 07-28-2007 at 09:40 PM. Reason: clumsyness of the fingers disorder

Old 07-29-2007, 07:23 AM   #4
    sparkie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sparkie HB User

Red Roni, I am also in Texas and I know how desperate the state is for math teachers, particularly with the new requirements (long overdue!!). Oh, and Algebra is what I would want to teach, lol.

Red Maple, I think part of my fear is just totally switching careers at the age of almost 46. If I went back to what I did before somewhere else, I would have no problem. I feel like my lack of sharpness is causing me to hold myself back with pursuing something new. I think I will go this week and look into the certification process to see if I even qualify with my background and go from there. Thanks!

Old 07-29-2007, 01:01 PM   #5
    ErinBeth
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ErinBeth HB User

While you are considering your options, try to keep in mind that at some point you will tame this thyroid monster and get it under better control. I remember feeling very self conscious about the sluggishness of my mind for quite awhile there, but that does get healed once hormone levels get corrected.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:36 AM   #6
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

I homeschool my kids. Though I've had this thyroid problem for about 6 years there are still days I don't feel up to par. There are days that are just plain off though not as often as in the beginning.
    Things will get better with the right treatment. The days you feel off you just have to take a little more time and not push yourself. Thinking and remember things take a little more effort.

I have a friend who is a school teacher and she has thryoid problems. Her students were aware and were quite considerate at times when she didn't feel as she should. She said one day she gave a completely wrong lesson and had to redo it the next day. Isn't life fun.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:59 PM   #7
    tonishere
    (female)

tonishere HB User

I started my first year teaching in 2006 (HS History)...with my symptoms and no one knowing what it really was, I had to resign. It was so stressfull at the school I was at. Not much backup for a first year teacher with a health issue..It was very painful to let my "kids" go but I am getting better and hopefully I will be working parttime with Citizens in Schools program and also homeschooling my son (he has aspergers and very high IQ). I think all this will work out. But it is very hard with the symptoms of any thyroid problem.
    Good luck to you,
    tonishere

Old 07-31-2007, 06:24 AM   #8
    SarahF
    Veteran
    (female)

SarahF HB User

I am probably returning to the classroom next week, but I have done extensive substitute teaching in the last several years... in mathematics (my field).

I, too, had that fear about the memory and sometimes I would blank out but not when teaching. But when I was feeling "thyroidal" I would make sure to WRITE DOWN everything I wanted to say, then it was right there in front of me. And no one knew the difference... except that the sub was a little scatterbrained. But I knew that already.

Closed Thread