It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• I Did The Ferritin Test Like Some People Here Suggested I Get-Lab Results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-10-2007, 03:06 PM   #16
    Tifferzz
    (female)

Tifferzz HB User
    Re: I Did The Ferritin Test Like Some People Here Suggested I Get-Lab Results

Ha, Ha, Ha ...... yeah, that is what I was thinking. I was thinking in my head "hrrrmmm, do family doctors learn this stuff in school"?? The thing that stinks is, this a new family doctor. I had been seeing my old one since I was 15 years old. But ... I moved an hour north .... and I was too tired to drive down that far to see him for the problems I had been having. So, I found a new doctor where I live now ... it's only 5 minutes from my house .... but, I am not too sure about her. She is nice .... but I am learning that she tends to go by what the Lab reports say and that I do not like.

I am wondering if my Gyno. doctor knows anything about Ferritin levels. He is the one sending me for further hormone testing and he was the one that did the further Thyroid testing. He believes in treating when people are on the low end or high end of lab reports. So maybe I will type up a letter and send it to him along with a copy of my Ferritin test that I just had done. What do you think? Think I should? I could probably get into him wayyyyy sooner. My Endo. appointment is not till the end of September. I am also debating if I should start a Multi Vitamin until then or if I should just wait .... that way they will do further testing to see what is causing it. If I take a Multi-Vitamin, then maybe it will bring my Ferritin up ..... but if it does bring it up, then maybe they will just ignore my levels then?? Ughhhh, I would kinda like to also take a Multi-Vitamin to see if it helps with my fatigue. I dunno what to do.

I have been doing TONS of research online since yesterday .... and found TONS of people who have hair thinning due to low ferritin levels and have read that you get new hair growth if your ferritin levels are 70 and above. Why do some doctors treat low ferritin when other anemia blood work is fine and then some doctor dont treat low ferritin until the other anemia blood work is low?? That doesn't make any sense to me.

So, if I am understanding this right ..... Ferritin levels drop first? Once ferritin levels drop below 10 .... then my other blood work will drop? Like the HCT and stuff? Maybe I should just say screw all of these doctors, and let if fall and not take any vitamins ..... that way I can say ... SEE I TOLD YOU SO LOL. Grrrrrrrr, I just get sooooo mad.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2007, 04:51 PM   #17
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User

Just go ahead and start taking the iron, get your ferritin level up and feel better sooner!

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

You have the blood work document-ing how low it is now; so go ahead and start on the iron so you can feel better (it takes long enough to get the iron level up, no need to wait longer to start).

Old 08-10-2007, 05:00 PM   #18
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User

And don't be too hard on this doctor about the ferritin. Most doctors do NOT ever order ferritin levels and go by the hemeglobin levels only.

Mine was never tested before ever & I have even been a patient at M.D. Anderson, huge world renown cancer hospital in Houston, TX.

The hemeglobin test cost a few cents to run & the ferritin cost much more. You can bet if the cure for low ferritin was an expensive new prescription med (and not dirt cheap iron), low ferritin would be the new disease and the cure would be advertised on all the evening news channels! But don't get me started!

It is simular to the way they only use the TSH & T4 to test for thyroid problems and ignore the Free T3 (the actual measurement of the active thyroid hormone).

Old 08-11-2007, 08:30 PM   #19
    Tifferzz
    (female)

Tifferzz HB User

Thank you very much GCC for telling me how to find out where my Thyroid results fall ...... and yeap, I understood what ya wrote and how to figure it out. Thanks for that!

And ok, I won't be too hard on my family doctor about my ferritin level. I'll wait and see what the Endo. doctor says when I go there in September.

Ohhhh and I totally, 100% agree with you when you talk about the drug companies. If they did come out with a drug to treat low ferritin levels, it would definitely be on TV commercials ALL the time. I am with you 100% on that one!!

Thanks again for all of your help, it is greatly appreciated!!

Closed Thread