It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• well cant take the 50 mcgs of levothyroxine either what now??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-16-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
    Red face well cant take the 50 mcgs of levothyroxine either what now??

well all i cant take the 50 mcgs of levothyroxine either its making me get extremly nervous again head hurts again cant sleep real shaky starting to get that dizziness again so how long is too long to go without the meds? i went 2 whole yrs before i even knew i had thyrold so im sure a few days isnt going to hurt is it .i dont understand why i cant take this type of meds but i couldnt at the beginning either i never really felt good on them i have tried levothyroxine 2 times levoxyl which was the worst and synthrold ,so im hoping the internal dr can find a med i can take cause this is making me frustrated and my endo says she only writes out the 3 brands i just posted and thats all plus im not going back to her because she didnt believe me when i told her all the symtons i had on the levoxyl plus i even told her what synthrold and levothyroxine done to me before she wouldnt listen and i even took the pamplet sheet in from drug store to show her about the seizures and fainting and she wouldnt even listen to me .so hopefully tomorrow i can make appt for the new internal medicine dr they are waiting on my medical records they mailed them out tuesday so hopefully they get them tomorrow .so will i be fine untill i get new meds ? i just cant take this type of meds if its going to cause me to feel worse plus if im getting dizzy again that means i will start fainting and having seizures again and i dont ever want that again.
    ((((hugs to all ))))
    vickie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2007, 01:16 PM   #2
    mauz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mauz HB Usermauz HB Usermauz HB User
    Re: well cant take the 50 mcgs of levothyroxine either what now??

Hi Vickie,
    I agree with mmztcass you might have to start on a very low dose and work your way up.
    I think the Armour thyroid is alot more potent because you have the T3 I don't know if that will work for you since you are so sensetive to the medications.

Good luck

Last edited by mauz; 08-16-2007 at 01:19 PM.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:09 PM   #3
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

i did i was on 25mcgs of levoxyl then she upped me to 5o thats when i got all the bad side effects and i cant get new labs yet without dr approval and my endo wont lower them or change brands cause she says thats all she gives and im waiting on my medical records so i can see new internal dr im going to keep taking them to see if it makes me worse cause with out them i feel crappy so maybe i need to get use them all over again i did ok when i first started levothyroxine 25mcgs back in jan 07 took 8 weeks then my gyn switched me to the synthrold 50 mcgs then i found a internal med dr who was a dummy bigtime he automaticly started me on 75mcgs of levothyroxine and thats when all my trouble started for one i was fainting in jan but not alot just ever so often then when he put me on the 75s i got worse but nothing was anything like the levoxyl and she even started me on the 25mcgs im thinking of maybe cutting the 50mcgs in half and making them 25mcgs till i see the new dr which will be next week but i dont understand why the meds are working for me its been 8 mos since i been taking meds but then i started having seizures and i had no choise but to stop and my endo wanted me to keep taking them now thats stupid with all the side effects along with seizures why would a dr want you to keep taking them and it even states in the pamplet to call your dr right away if you get seizures says thats signs of over dose even though i was only on 50 but i had trouble on 25's too i was having hyper symtons if its only been 2 days should i give it some more time like say till my new labs which is the week before sept 26th ???
    vickie

Old 08-16-2007, 03:16 PM   #4
    mauz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mauz HB Usermauz HB Usermauz HB User

I would give it more time so your body can get used to it.
    You can always change later but at least you know you tried.
    I read so many times that it will take 2 weeks to get used to the medication.

Good luck

Old 08-16-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
    aussiejenni
    (female)

aussiejenni HB User

I too think you will need to start on a very low dose and work your way up very slowly, and give it a couple of months at least before you change the dose. I am still battling with my dosage and I know it isn't easy...it is awful at times. Hang in there and keep us posted.
    Jenni

Old 08-17-2007, 03:17 AM   #6
    lucky charms
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lucky charms HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vickie45 View Post
    well all i cant take the 50 mcgs of levothyroxine either its making me get extremly nervous again head hurts again cant sleep real shaky starting to get that dizziness again so how long is too long to go without the meds? i went 2 whole yrs before i even knew i had thyrold so im sure a few days isnt going to hurt is it .i dont understand why i cant take this type of meds but i couldnt at the beginning either i never really felt good on them i have tried levothyroxine 2 times levoxyl which was the worst and synthrold ,so im hoping the internal dr can find a med i can take cause this is making me frustrated and my endo says she only writes out the 3 brands i just posted and thats all plus im not going back to her because she didnt believe me when i told her all the symtons i had on the levoxyl plus i even told her what synthrold and levothyroxine done to me before she wouldnt listen and i even took the pamplet sheet in from drug store to show her about the seizures and fainting and she wouldnt even listen to me .so hopefully tomorrow i can make appt for the new internal medicine dr they are waiting on my medical records they mailed them out tuesday so hopefully they get them tomorrow .so will i be fine untill i get new meds ? i just cant take this type of meds if its going to cause me to feel worse plus if im getting dizzy again that means i will start fainting and having seizures again and i dont ever want that again.
    ((((hugs to all ))))
    vickie
    Just wanted to let you know you are not alone with this at all.. I too am very and I mean very sensitive to thyroid meds..
    Synthroid turned my skin yellow , bones ached, heart raced so this was a no go for me, levoxyl sent me to the er , this list goes on.
    Have you tried armour? Now armour/nature-throid worked for me like a dream , but the t3 started shooting up there on me.. However you could try that route and see what happens..
    Or try a compounded thyroid med w/o binders or fillers.. This is what Im doing.. It has minimized some side effects but Im still having trouble tolerating 75 mcgs.. Hope something works out for you.. Tale Care
    ((((hugs)))))))

Old 08-17-2007, 05:52 AM   #7
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yes im thinking of asking my new internal medicine dr about armour i did start on the low dose and was on them 4 weeks with levoxyl and back in jan i took levothyroxine 8 weeks before my gyn switched me to synthyrold 50 couldnt take took them 1 month then went to new internal dr and he upped me to 75s i could not handle the 75s i started having lots of side effects i started out having upper arm pains then i got really depressed didnt know what was wrong then my fainting started happening more and more i dont know why i faint on this type of meds but i do and the levoxly made me have seizures so as soon as i get into the new dr im asking him im very upset with my endo because i showeed her the pamplet sheet and in it states it can cause seizures
    my side effects were this.
    bad bad diarea
    no appetite for awhole week ate nothing
    couldnt sleep
    extreme nervousness
    shakiness
    stomach pains
    upset stomach
    dizziness
    fainting real bad
    seizures 2-3 times per day
    horrible horrible headaches
    blurry vision
    cried alot because i felt helpless and thought id never get better
    walked down the street trying to see if i could take a walk ended up at ER because i blackedout on the sidewalk and didnt know what had happened
    so im just taking the levothyroxine till i get my appt
    levothyroxine even made me faint too but not as much till the dr put me on the 75s my endo says i will prob be on the 50s for life thats fine if i can just get them to help and i also have no energy this dont make since when i wasnt on the meds i had more energy but on them it seems the meds make me worse iam sleeping again too i get up at 6am and around 12 or 1 in the afternoon i take a nap but when i wake up i still feel tired but i have alot of faith in GOD and i know someday he will make me better he dont make us suffer more then we can handle at one point when i was on the 75s i tried to kill myself because i couldnt handle feeling the way i do i ended up in a mental ward but they didnt help me at all then i started praying to god and asking him to please help me cause i just couldnt take much more the main part of my depression was because i had to be wheeled around in a wheelchair and i couldnt live like that and the seizures were coming more and more and those headaches about killed me i was at the point where i thought i was going to die i was a mess ,but im not like that now i see things differently now sooner or later i will feel good again my sister has been hypo 12 yrs and she does fine she still goes up and down on her dose ever so often to be honest i hate this illness but nothing any of us can do about it right its here for life just like anyone whos got diabetics or b/p or any other type of illness for life so i have come to except it but its hard at times because i want the person i once was i was never like this before i use to be so active and had a job and did everything but im going to church as soon as i get my levels where they need to be can someone tell me if when my tsh was 1.1 and t4 was 1.9 was the 75s way too much my endo said it was i believe it too cause i had terrible side effects and they just worse.
    ((((hugs))))
    vickie

Old 08-17-2007, 12:55 PM   #8
    Bran'sNana
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

are you on other meds that might give you this reaction? Does the doc know all the other meds you're on? Maybe you need some kind of scan or something of your thyroid and pituitary.Somethings not right.Have you had any? Catscans or anything? This should be looked into more, to rule out other things I would think Good luck Vicky, hope you get some answers, just say you want some kind of diagnosis.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:22 PM   #9
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

the only other meds i take is blood pressure pills and xanax and i take tylenol for my headaches but here's whats strange ,when im off the meds i feel better then when im on them like say the headaches arent as bad i have more energy i dont get the depression or the fainting or seizures once i start the meds i get the headaches start fainting again lose my appetite get depressed ,sleep i did finally get my appt for tuesday and im telling this new dr everything and im going to be straight with him and tell him plus i allways write everything down before i go in to a dr i just want one who will listen to me not just my labs i know im still hypo but for some odd reason i need something different and this time im telling them i want to go real slow all the other times the drs rushed me on my dose like my endo upped me after only taking the 25s for 4 weeks and the last dr i had put me on 75mcgs when my tsh was 7.11 and i thought that was too high with my tsh so high .but maybe im just one of those people who cant take certain meds .its going to take awhile before i start feeling my best i know but im willing to do whatever it takes to get better and all 3 brands i was on before i lost all my energy once i started the meds but maybe because they upped me too fast,but i will keep you posted i see dr tuesday my husband even said i seem better when im not on the meds so i dont know whats going on here ....oh forgot i also take protonix 40 mg and my b/p pills are 5 mg xanax is 1 mg for my panic /anxiety
    vickie

Last edited by vickie45; 08-17-2007 at 10:25 PM.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:24 AM   #10
    RingItOn
    Inactive
    (female)

RingItOn HB User

Quote:
    the only other meds i take is blood pressure pills and xanax and i take tylenol for my headaches but here's whats strange ,when im off the meds i feel better then when im on them like say the headaches arent as bad i have more energy i dont get the depression or the fainting or seizures once i start the meds i get the headaches start fainting again lose my appetite get depressed ,sleep ...

...im still hypo but for some odd reason i need something different and this time im telling them i want to go real slow all the other times the drs rushed me on my dose like my endo upped me after only taking the 25s for 4 weeks and the last dr i had put me on 75mcgs when my tsh was 7.11 and i thought that was too high with my tsh so high

....oh forgot i also take protonix 40 mg and my b/p pills are 5 mg xanax is 1 mg for my panic /anxiety
    vickie
    Have you been tested for Sleep Apnea/Sleep Disorders? GERD is a symptom of sleep apnea and sleep apnea is a symptom of hypoT. I noticed you're taking Protonix for night time GERD. That could be a clue. And Protonix decreases your stomach acid thereby causing your body to slow down the digestion of your medications. HypoT already causes a slowed metabolism.

Do you know about the long term effects of Protonix? I read on their website that it can cause Vitamin B12 absorption problems due to decreased stomach acid. Some of the sx's include: tiredness, palpitations, shortness of breath, dizziness, fainting, chest pain, headache, leg pains, red, sore tongue and mouth, weight loss and diarrhea.

I would suggest being tested for sleep apnea/disorders and that might help some of your reactions to drugs. And sleep apnea/disorders can cause Fibromyalgia-like symptoms.

Also sleep apnea can cause anxiety/panic attack like hypoT. There's a list of symptoms which it causes. Morning headaches is one. The first thing my new endo said to me was let's get you tested for sleep apnea/disorders. I'm sure glad he did!

And if you do have it, giving medication for the GERD is like putting a bandaid on a gaping wound. It won't solve the problem long term because you're treating the symptoms not the source of the symptom.

And the other possibility is that some people, even with a TSH like yours, don't need anything higher than 0.25 mcg. Everyone's body is different. The endo who wrote,The Thyroid Solution, says he does a two week trial test with the lowest does of LT4. If the patient says they feel their afternoon fatigue lift, he keeps them on that dose and doesn't go any higher until they have after fatigue again, then he adjusts it.

What were you're other thyroid test results? Did you have antibodies performed?

Last edited by RingItOn; 08-18-2007 at 06:32 AM.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:30 AM   #11
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

its not the protonix when my tsh was 1.1 and t4 was 1.9 i still felt horrible but my dr had me on 75mcgs of levothyroxine and what is hypot? i dont think i have sleep apnea cause when my labs were normal i wasnt falling asleep but its been like 2 weeks since i took my mrds.
    heres all my labs with ranges.
    3/2006
    TSH_2.738_RABGE_0.350-5.5000
    FREE T4_1.32_RANGE-0.89-1.76
    1/07TSH_8.45_RANGE-0.49-4.67_TOOK 25 MCGS LEVOTHYROXINE
    TT4_8.1_RANGE-4.5-12.0
    TT3_1.3_RANGE-1.5-2.6
    2/07
    TSH_6.28-RANGE- 0.49-4.67_TOOK 50MCGS OF SYNTHROLD
    FT4_0.9_RANGE-0.7-1.9
    3/2007
    TSH_2.58-RANGE-0.49-4.67_STILL ON SYNTHYROLD
    FT4-1.2_RANGE-0.7-1.9
    4/2007
    TSH_7.11_RANGE-0.49-4.67_BACK ON LEVOTHYROXINE 75MCGS
    FT4_0.9_RANGE-O.7-1.9
    6/2007_STARTED 25 MCGS LEVOXYL
    TSH_2.68_RANGE-0.49-4.67
    FT4_1.0_RANGE-0.7-1.9
    7/2007_WENT TO 50 MCGS OF LEVOXYL
    TSH_6.42_RANGE-0.49-4.67
    FT4_1.1-RANGE0.7-1.9
    T3 FREE_319_RANGE-230-***
    THYROID PEROXIDASE_SAYS OUT OF RANGE -1000_RANGE -35(ANTIBODIES)
    CORTISOL TOTAL_17.1_RANGE FOR 8AM-4.0-22.0
    RANGE FOR 4PM-3.0-17.0
    NOW THATS ALL I HAD DONE IN THE LAST 8 MOS

AND I HAD MY FSH DONE ITS 47.6_RANGE-1.0-8.0
    LH_39.8 _RANGE-1.9-16.3
    ESTRADIOL_24.0_RANGE-26.6-201.O
    NOT SURE WHAT THE FEMALE HORMONES MEANS .
    so does anyone see whats going on here
    she didnt do the tpi test which im not sure what that one is have i had all the test i need done or are there more if so i want to write it all down and take to internal med dr on tuesday .
    so can anyone answer theses labs for me and tell me what the mean ????
    ((((hugs to all ))))
    we will all get better someday.
    vickie

Last edited by vickie45; 08-18-2007 at 07:38 AM.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:00 AM   #12
    RingItOn
    Inactive
    (female)

RingItOn HB User

Quote:
    its not the protonix when my tsh was 1.1 and t4 was 1.9 i still felt horrible but my dr had me on 75mcgs of levothyroxine and what is hypot? i dont think i have sleep apnea cause when my labs were normal i wasnt falling asleep but its been like 2 weeks since i took my mrds.
    I wasn't falling asleep either and that's how I got diagnosed! Sleep apnea doesn't always cause excessive sleepiness. It can cause the opposite, insomnia or sleeping during the wrong times or dozing off when doing something boring.

HypoT, short for hypothyroidism. HyperT, short for hyperthyroidism. I'm tired.

You may also have hypoT and hyperT occurring at the same time, alternating with each. All kinds of combinations can happen including hyperT and hypoT canceling each other out and appearing euthyroid.

Is this an endo you're seeing? I forgot. If he/she's not getting it right find a new one because you may have different things happening at the same time.

When I was first diagnosed with hypoT my TSH was only 6.55 but I was ill, very ill. Yet my doctor, at the time, treated me as if I was subclinical because she didn't know what was she was seeing. She made assumptions due to lack of knowledge. And some people at 6.55 feel okay and/or need little treatment.

And there's those who must go very slow when elevating their LT4 meds. No two people react the same way. I'm on several thyroid support boards and have seen the vast differences from person to person.

I'm on 150mcg of LT4 and I feel just fine except for my sleep apnea sx's which are being treated starting this month. My TSH is running well below 1.0. LT4 dosing is determined by the severity of symptoms and your ideal weight. (1.6 times your weight in kg.) Since my sx's are severe I'm on a high dose. When I am healthier, 6 - 12 months, the dose will be adusted down to 112mcg.

TSH_6.42_RANGE-0.49-4.67
    FT4_1.1-RANGE0.7-1.9

Your TSH is okay if your T4 is not low. T3 is usually used for testing hyperT. That's the new parameters for treatment. So that's probably why you don't tolerate high doses of LT4. For more info on your ranges and results check Dr Rind's web site. He states them the clearest I've seen. However, treatment protocol is specified by endocrinologists and can be viewed at thyroidtoday.com. Look for an article by Carole Spencer under expert opinions.

Your FSH means you're menopausal.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:18 AM   #13
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RingItOn View Post
    I wasn't falling asleep either and that's how I got diagnosed! Sleep apnea doesn't always cause excessive sleepiness. It can cause the opposite, insomnia or sleeping during the wrong times or dozing off when doing something boring.

HypoT, short for hypothyroidism. HyperT, short for hyperthyroidism. I'm tired.

You may also have hypoT and hyperT occurring at the same time, alternating with each. All kinds of combinations can happen including hyperT and hypoT canceling each other out and appearing euthyroid.

Is this an endo you're seeing? I forgot. If he/she's not getting it right find a new one because you may have different things happening at the same time.

When I was first diagnosed with hypoT my TSH was only 6.55 but I was ill, very ill. Yet my doctor, at the time, treated me as if I was subclinical because she didn't know what was she was seeing. She made assumptions due to lack of knowledge. And some people at 6.55 feel okay and/or need little treatment.

And there's those who must go very slow when elevating their LT4 meds. No two people react the same way. I'm on several thyroid support boards and have seen the vast differences from person to person.

I'm on 150mcg of LT4 and I feel just fine except for my sleep apnea sx's which are being treated starting this month. My TSH is running well below 1.0. LT4 dosing is determined by the severity of symptoms and your ideal weight. (1.6 times your weight in kg.) Since my sx's are severe I'm on a high dose. When I am healthier, 6 - 12 months, the dose will be adusted down to 112mcg.

TSH_6.42_RANGE-0.49-4.67
    FT4_1.1-RANGE0.7-1.9

Your TSH is okay if your T4 is not low. T3 is usually used for testing hyperT. That's the new parameters for treatment. So that's probably why you don't tolerate high doses of LT4. For more info on your ranges and results check Dr Rind's web site. He states them the clearest I've seen. However, treatment protocol is specified by endocrinologists and can be viewed at thyroidtoday.com. Look for an article by Carole Spencer under expert opinions.

Your FSH means you're menopausal.

thanks for all your information that helps alot and the new dr is a internal med dr iam seeing a endo but i dont like the way she does things she doesnt listen to me at all and told me all the symtons i have arent from thyrold or the meds and she upped my levoxyl of 25's to 50 in 4 weeks and yes shes ok but just dont listen but at the clinic i can allways change endos but what she told me is she wants to work with my internal dr and both work together to make me well .and as for meno im not really feeling any symtons but i only had 1 ovary removed back in jan 06 .but i go tuesday to the internal and yes i believe they need to take me very very slow as i cant handle the dose when they up me too fast i think thats prob all my trouble my sister told me she was upped real slow back 12 yrs ago so thats what im asking so is the 50mcgs too high for me right now with my tsh at 6.42 its prob higher now since i stopped my meds for 2 weeks now .
    and yes if i get to where i dont like how my endo is treating me i will change drs there are tons of endos out there and at her clinic there is like 6 total see shes very young around 20 something and maybe shes just starting out i do like her but what she said was let the internal med dr rule out everything else and her and him will work together to figure out how to make me feel good again wow thats been along time since i felt good i cant wait till that day comes and yes im hypo but i also get hyper symtons too .so like you said maybe im both and they need to fix that for me.
    vickie

Closed Thread