It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• well internal medicine dr wants me to start back on levothyroxine 25mcgs,need advice?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-28-2007, 11:11 AM   #1
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
    Question well internal medicine dr wants me to start back on levothyroxine 25mcgs,need advice?

hi all as you all know i been off thyriold meds for 4 weeks now my tsh on 7/21/07 was 6.42 ok last week which was aug i took another tsh it came down to 6.00 without meds ok so why does the dr want to put me back on if im feeling better off the meds ? i told them i will give them a nother try on 25mcgs and i wont take a 50mcgs i have to take 2 of the 25mcgs the 50 's i couldnt take but i felt pretty good on 2 of the 25's im so confused here im not having any type of hyper symtons how would i be feeling right now off meds for 4 weeks if i still have a thyriold prob? i sleep good i eat good i go places now i can clean and drive .and i told the drs office if i faint onetime im stopping them ,i think whats happened here is jan 06 i had my ovary removed just one i have everything else and they said its very possible that my surgery threw my thyriold out for a bit im not sure .ok how do i feel now GREAT i have no fainting nor seizures nor crying spells nor any type of depression no crabbiness nothing i stay awake through the day never fall asleep like i use to so i will give them 2 weeks depends on if they cause symtons and the dr told me to stop if i get any symtons and believe i will stop asap im not going through what i been through the past 8 mos im 45 yrs old and had to be put in a wheelchair couldnt drive cried all the time got extremly depressed and in the end i was on 75mcgs and that was too high for me why i do not know alls i know is i did ok jan 07 when i found out i was hypo then after i started the 75mcgs i got so bad i ended up in a mental ward i felt like dieing i was in a horrible mess so if i feel good off meds i just dont understand why my tsh went down and why my dr wants me to try again i guess it wont hurt 25's might be what i may need if im hyper wouldnt i feel it cause i dont feel my chest beating i eat good and feel good but i will give the levothyroxine till i see endo unless i start having symtons again and if i start having the symtons then that tells me i dont need them anymore am i right???
    any advice would help and what test do they do to say if you will have this for life ???
    very very confused and a little nervous about starting back on meds .and can anyone tell me why my tsh went down off meds last time i stopped them my tsh went way up again .
    vickie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2007, 12:29 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: well internal medicine dr wants me to start back on levothyroxine 25mcgs,need adv

Your TSH didn't technically change, Vickie. TSH is meant to fluctuate a little throughout the day, and .42 is just "a little". The difference is probably just the normal variation from one testing to the other. You're still hypo, and that's why your doctor is recommending you try thyroid medicine again. He knows you need it.

I don't want to hurt your feelings, because you're a sweet person... so I hope this doesn't offend you. But I think you have health problems other than your thyroid. That is to say, I don't think all your troubles are going to be eliminated once you get your thyroid adjusted. Keep looking for reasons for your mood swings, neurological problems, etc. besides just your poor thyroid levels. Getting them adjusted will help, I'm sure; I just don't think they're to blame for everything.
    Wishing you good health soon, Vickie.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:38 PM   #3
    aussiejenni
    (female)

aussiejenni HB User
    Re: well internal medicine dr wants me to start back on levothyroxine 25mcgs,need adv

Vickie
    I am one of those sensitive to thyroxine too. Just wonderered if you have tried taking your thyroid med at a different time of the day and not on an empty stomach...say two hours after food.
    Thinking of you....take care.
    Jenni.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:36 PM   #4
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aussiejenni View Post
    Vickie
    I am one of those sensitive to thyroxine too. Just wonderered if you have tried taking your thyroid med at a different time of the day and not on an empty stomach...say two hours after food.
    Thinking of you....take care.
    Jenni.
    no jenn i never tried that i was allways told to take it before i eat .i have to forse myself to eat in the mornings now and guess what i took my last labs at 6am without no meds or nothing to eat or drink could that have made my tsh change a little ? and yes im very sensitive to certain meds now back when i first started levothyroxine i done fine till april in april i saw a new internal dr and my tsh was 7.11 and he put me on 75mcgs and thats when i started having horrible troubles i couldnt drive i cried nonstop got deeply depressed i felt like i was a burden on my family and i felt like dieing but i got through it and now if its been 4 weeks maybe this time around will be better and my husband dont help much but thats a different story in the relationship boards he gets mad if i come to the boards he thinks i sit here allday and type on the boards i admit i come here alot but why would that hurt oh well he will get over it i never tell him what to do
    vickie

Old 08-28-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
    Your TSH didn't technically change, Vickie. TSH is meant to fluctuate a little throughout the day, and .42 is just "a little". The difference is probably just the normal variation from one testing to the other. You're still hypo, and that's why your doctor is recommending you try thyroid medicine again. He knows you need it.

I don't want to hurt your feelings, because you're a sweet person... so I hope this doesn't offend you. But I think you have health problems other than your thyroid. That is to say, I don't think all your troubles are going to be eliminated once you get your thyroid adjusted. Keep looking for reasons for your mood swings, neurological problems, etc. besides just your poor thyroid levels. Getting them adjusted will help, I'm sure; I just don't think they're to blame for everything.
    Wishing you good health soon, Vickie.

no midwest you didnt offend me im just so tired of this illness at one point when i first started the meds i felt good i had energy and all that good stuff i did see my internal med dr and he said all my tests came out all good b/p is good pulse was 79 cholesterol was good liver and kidneys are good my trouble is i cant seem to get my thyriold leveled out for me for one when that dr put me on 75mcgs with a tsh of 7.11 was that kind of a high dose im sentcitive to meds allready and the high dose was bad my endo says i may only need 50mcgs my whole life and nothing higher oh and if i dont like her am i aloud to switch endo's at the clinic i go too or what .i didnt have the blackouts till i started the 75s and then seizures according to my internal dr im in good health and the b/p meds i take are only 5mg and they do great .iam going to try them again and i will give it time but the dr did say STOP them if i faint or have anymore symtons and i understand i do need the meds i just read where hypo without meds can cause heart failure and at my last endo appt my pulse was 60 what is too low ???
    and midwest you wont ever offend me your hear to help us not hurt us i never get mad at what you on here say im just frustrated thats all maybe if i go slow this time it may help too.
    ((((((((((hugs ))))))))))
    vickie

Closed Thread