It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• orange/brown coated tongue

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-30-2007, 08:56 PM   #1
    wonderingtoo
    Veteran
    (female)

wonderingtoo HB User
    orange/brown coated tongue

Is this a symptoms of thyroid disorder? I have a lot of other symptoms for over 1 1/2 year that I won't go into right now, but wondering about the tongue thing. MOst of the coating will brush off, but not all. And it comes back throughout the day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2007, 08:37 AM   #2
    lisad0h
    (female)

lisad0h HB User
    Re: orange/brown coated tongue

I was going to ask this same question ! My DH had this, also some white spots inside his cheek and lips. It became very sore. We were on vacation when this started. The man who NEVER goes to the doctor, asked to go to the ER. It was that painful. After misdiagnosis of thrush, a few weeks later, lab reports showed hyperthyroid & Graves disease. Thats when he started on the road to figuring out this disease. In the past 15 months, it has popped up 3 more times.

Dr suggested a mouth rinse of equal parts, hydrogen peroxide, listerine, and water. I mix it up with 1/3 cup of each. He swishes it around 3-4 times a day. It will clear up in 2-3 days. Its so odd.

He has had RAI twice now. The last flare up was 2 weeks ago. So I'm really curious if it does have to do with the thyroid. As the doctor keeps telling us his is "totally killed off" ???? Though is levels are all over the place and he feels like crap every single day.

Hopefully we'll hear from one of the many knowledgeable folks on this great board. Good luck to you !! lisa

Old 08-31-2007, 09:01 AM   #3
    katkatdd
    Veteran
    (female)

katkatdd HB User

I also have problems with this. Plus I also have major stomach issues as well.

U can look up Candida also. But I have heard having a thyroid disorder can cause it as well?!?!

Mine seems to correct itself some when my stomach settles down and when I eat my yogurt with the probiotics.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:43 PM   #4
    wonderingtoo
    Veteran
    (female)

wonderingtoo HB User

katkadd - is yours orangish/brown also, or white? I don't have any sores in my mouth, just the coated tongue. I do have symptoms of TMJ on and off that include a flare of a node or gland under my jaw, or perhaps just a muscle spasm that feels like it.

I also have been having right sided abdomen/flank and lower back pain, pressure and burning on and off for 1 1/2 years. I am thinking there is a connection, but the doctors tell me there is nothing wrong with me. I've had lots of tests that were normal. I don't have a gall bladder anymore, and my liver counts are normal.

How did your husband get his diagnosis of thyroid problem?

Old 08-31-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
    wonderingtoo
    Veteran
    (female)

wonderingtoo HB User

katkatdd, what are your stomach issues. I've been taking probiotic capsules since it started, it hasn't helped. Also been taking digestive enzymes. The oral antifungals didn't help at all.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:48 PM   #6
    katkatdd
    Veteran
    (female)

katkatdd HB User

Mine is the white coating on the tongue... Well I had my gallbladder removed this past December. Also had extensive adhesions that were removed from the transverse colon and omentum. I think I still have some adhesions left as I have ALLOT of pain still on my right side and in the area of the sternum and below my right rib cage. I have dudoenitis also which I take the Cimetidine for. My stomach also always feels real bloated. And the last CT scan I had they said I have fatty liver! My liver enzymes are sometimes high then go back normal... When the surgeon took my gallbladder out he punctured a hole in it and I had TONS of stones. I am beginning to wonder if he lost some tiny stones in me or something that is how bad it feels on most days.

I also was treated with radiation pill for Grave's Disease in Feb of this year.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:43 AM   #7
    lisad0h
    (female)

lisad0h HB User

Sorry it took me so long to respond, my home computer died on Friday. Still trying to work that one out.

DH was diagnosed after the "thrush" came back a 3rd time in 6 weeks. Our primary dr was on vacation. When we saw him, he knew something was not right. He ordered a whole lot of blood work, 5 vials worth. The TSH came back <0.01, he then ordered antibody tests and it came back positive for Graves. Now I'm getting confused reading some other posts. I thought Graves and hyperthyroid were 1 in the same. The RAI I'm reading won't treat the Grave's issues. How in the world do you treat those antibodies ??

Are you feeling any better after your RAI ? Taking any meds?

After the second dose of RAI just this past June, he is now on levoxyl, started at 150 mg per day, just lowered him 10 days ago to 100 mg per day. He has not felt any better at all. Its very frustrating.

Lisa

Old 09-04-2007, 06:51 PM   #8
    katkatdd
    Veteran
    (female)

katkatdd HB User

I also am having a heck of a time feeling well. I really am beginning to wonder if something else is wrong with me that is how bad I feel most of the time. Very frustrating. And for me when it becomes that time of month I feel even worse. I feel like I bounce from one extreme to the other during that time. My brain fog has been SO BAD this past week or 2 that I have a hard time even concentrating on the simplest of things. And my anxiety is coming back. And now I have broken out in hives on my chest. Uggg...

And the last time I did labs which was in the beginning of Aug they were "normal".... But something is still off that's for sure! I am on 112mcg of the levothyroxine.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:02 AM   #9
    lisad0h
    (female)

lisad0h HB User

The brain fog is terrible. I know DH has it daily. He can't remember the smallest thing. Its very frustrating for him. I really think its just this terrible disease. All the doctors tell us, "it just takes time" I want to know how much time! Its so hard when your feeling so terrilbe. I remember our primary dr telling us, "oh its nothing, just thyroid, thats easy to treat" Obviously he had no idea !

Good luck to you. I hope you get some relief soon!! DH goes back to the endo Oct 1. Lisa

Closed Thread