It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Seriously stupid question - antibodies tests

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-31-2007, 08:19 AM   #1
    Nyxie63
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User
    Seriously stupid question - antibodies tests

When it comes to Thyroglobulin antibodies testing, I've seen both TgAb and AntiTgAb. Are they the same test?

The reason I ask is I'm going over old test results. One sheet showed both TPO and Anti Tg antibodies tests. The other sheet had total Tg and TgAb. The levels for the AntiTg antibodies and the TgAb were considerably different, although both were in range. They were both done by the same lab at the same time. Do you think it's simply the way the tests were run?

I'm having a brain fart here. Should probably know this by now, but can't think of or find the right answer.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2007, 08:34 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Seriously stupid question - antibodies tests

Well what I could dig up from my references are:

[Thyroglobulin Antibodies / Antithyroglobulin Antibodies] - thyroglobulin antibodies(TGAb) (also called antithyroglobulin antibodies (Anti-TGAb)) are commonly used in testing for Hashimoto's. If you have already been diagnosed with Graves' disease, having high levels of thyroglobulin antibodies means that you are more likely to eventually become hypothyroid. Thyroglobulin antibodies are positive in about 60 percent of Hashimoto's patients and 30 percent of Graves' patients.

TG is just Thyroglobin.. it will be low if you are positive on the antibody tests.

TPO - Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) antibodies, are also known as Ant******** Peroxidase Antibodies. Thus you will see TPOAb and TPO as well.

From what I can tell they are measure the same thing.. but the analysis techniques might differ.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 09-01-2007, 04:56 AM   #3
    Nyxie63
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User
    Re: Seriously stupid question - antibodies tests

Ok, so they're the same thing. Thanks! Wasn't sure and couldn't find it.

Some days it's like that.

Closed Thread