It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Optimal Ferritin levels

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-31-2007, 12:23 PM   #1
    hopalong_too
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopalong_too HB User
    Question Optimal Ferritin levels...GCC can you help?

I have read here on the board that the "optimal" ferritin level is 70-90. My test result was 24 (10-291). This was recorded as within normal range and I just CANNOT find any documentation to support that it MIGHT be low (for me). Everything I read says it is okay above 10. Is there anyone who can help me with search options or maybe something you might have read? Thanks all, Hoppy

Last edited by hopalong_too; 08-31-2007 at 06:25 PM. Reason: spelling is just horrendous

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2007, 12:54 PM   #2
    bookishmomma
    (female)

bookishmomma HB User
    Re: Optimal Ferritin levels

Hi there...My ferritin test last spring came out exactly the same, 24. I, too, looked for something to show my doctor about this so maybe it could explain that last bit of tiredness, but most of what I found is "alternative" medicine sites on the net. Not to say that it's not correct that the ferritin should be higher, just that mainstream medicine seems to generally say that low ferritin wouldn't cause symptoms--only the low actual blood counts. If you think that low ferritin is possibly causing your symptoms, you might see your doctor about iron supplements in general.

Oh, I did find a few "mainstream" medical journal articles that said that women with otherwise unexplained fatigue and ferritin below 20 did experience a rise in energy levels with iron supplementation. You might search for those studies to take to your doctor as support for trying iron. It's just important to make sure you don't have a condition that precludes you from taking iron supplements before you do it yourself.

I tried taking iron on my own, and not only did it not seem to help with the fatigue, it seemed to interfere with my thyroid med absorption (there are some older threads on this board on this topic--you might search for them here.). Anyway, I only take the iron in my prenatal supplements these days, which is the immediate release kind, and I take it in the morning, and my thyroid meds at night. I hope something I said here helps you.

Oh yeah, and my last bits of fatigue went away once my thyroid levels stabilized, so for me, ferritin doesn't seem to be the issue. Where are you with your thyroid treatment?

Last edited by bookishmomma; 08-31-2007 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Forgot to add that last little paragraph

Old 08-31-2007, 01:01 PM   #3
    hopalong_too
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopalong_too HB User
    Re: Optimal Ferritin levels....GCC can you help?

Hi Bookishmomma, Thank you. I know there have been posts saying the optimal level is 70-90 and i guess the scary thing is that I have read numerous articles saying that levels below 50 give higher rise to the incidence of colon cancer. Since I am 50 this year, I guess I am due for the dreaded colonoscopy anyway sometime!

Where am I with thyroid treatment? No where! I am still trying to convince my doctor that there is an issue. My tests are all "within the normal range" but VERY close to the bottom of normal.

TSH .65 (.38-6.15)

TSH .87 (.35-5.5)

08/10
    TSH .793 (.35-5.5)
    Total T3 98 (85-205)

08/17
    TSH 1.45 (.35-5.5)
    FT3 310 (230-4 2 0)
    FT4 .96 (.61-1.76)
    TPO 21.8 (0-35)

These are the new numbers that I paid for myself.

TSH 1.516 (.35-5.5)
    Free T3 2.5 (2.3-4.2)
    Free T4 .97 (.61-1.76)

Total T4 5.7 (4.5-12)
    T3 Uptake 32 (24-39)
    Free Thyroxine Index 1.8 (1.2-4.9)

TPO Ab 21 (0-34)
    Antithyroglobulin Ab (Tg Ab) 22 (0-40)

Ferritin 24 (10-291)

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks again for your response. Hoppy

Last edited by hopalong_too; 08-31-2007 at 06:28 PM.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:50 PM   #4
    bookishmomma
    (female)

bookishmomma HB User

Well, I do not consider myself an expert on reading the labs, but I will say that in my experience I did not feel well at all when my Free T4 numbers were where yours are in the range. My only guess is that it is possible that you are in the early stages of Hashimoto's thyroiditis, with the low levels of antibodies and the in range TSH numbers, though it looks like they have slowly crept up over the years as you posted. Unfortunately, my experience was that I didn't get treatment until my levels went to FT4 .8 on a .8-1.8 scale, with a TSH of 6.5 even though I had been having TSH readings that fluctuated as high as 12 and only as low as 4.3 for 6 years. I sincerely hope you can figure out what is causing your symptoms and if it is thyroid that you can be treated much earlier than I was!

Old 08-31-2007, 06:50 PM   #5
    hopalong_too
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopalong_too HB User
    Re: Optimal Ferritin levels....GCC can you help?

Thanks Bookishmama! I appreciate your input and I will continue to research! I KNOW it is not "in my head"! Maybe GCC will jump in and let me know about the "optimal" 70-90 level.

Last edited by hopalong_too; 08-31-2007 at 08:25 PM.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:39 AM   #6
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User

I have seen several places that Ferritin below 50 can cause infertility and restless leg syndrome. It must be causing lots of other problems that make the body struggle too.

Try doing a web search on low ferritin infertility or low ferritin rls.

I got my ferritin up to 59 & felt lots better; I thought it was high enough. (It tooks a couple of months to feel better). But after one heavy TOM I could tell that I was not optimal yet & started taking iron again.

Some types of iron a lots better than others.

I had heart palpitations and shortness of breath when my ferritin was 15 (in the "nornal range" but way too low).

I can't link specific web sites (it's not allowed here).

I hope this helps.
    : )

Old 09-03-2007, 05:26 PM   #7
    Tired2Much
    (female)

Tired2Much HB User

Mine is 16. the doctor wants it over 50. I get hungry but the meds make me gag on my food. Maybe I will loose the 25lbs I gained.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:11 PM   #8
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User
    Smile Re: Optimal Ferritin levels...GCC can you help?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hopalong_too View Post
    I have read here on the board that the "optimal" ferritin level is 70-90. My test result was 24 (10-291). This was recorded as within normal range and I just CANNOT find any documentation to support that it MIGHT be low (for me). Everything I read says it is okay above 10. Is there anyone who can help me with search options or maybe something you might have read? Thanks all, Hoppy

Hi hoppy...

With a ferritin level of 58, I feel great...so I don't really think it needs to be between 70-90...but who knows, everyone is different. And the funny thing is, I don't [hardly ever] eat any red meat, either. I must be getting it somewhere else. I do eat a lot of fruits and veggies though. And I like Cream of Wheat too. I don't take iron, but I do take b-12 daily. Good luck!

Deda

Old 09-28-2007, 12:12 PM   #9
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User
    Smile Re: Optimal Ferritin levels...GCC can you help?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hopalong_too View Post

Hi hoppy...

With a ferritin level of 58, I feel great...so I don't really think it needs to be between 70-90...but who knows, everyone is different. And the funny thing is, I don't [hardly ever] eat any red meat, either. I must be getting it somewhere else. I do eat a lot of fruits and veggies though. And I like Cream of Wheat, too. I don't take any iron, but I do take b-12 daily. Good luck!

Deda

Closed Thread