It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hashimoto with normal thyroid test?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-03-2007, 03:47 PM   #1
    Aqua232
    (female)

Aqua232 HB User
    Question Hashimoto with normal thyroid test?

I've been sick for a while now. Weight gain, hair loss, fatigue, joint pain and skin problems are among my long list of symptoms. I am being treated for hypothyroidism with 88 mcg of synthroid and 10 mcg of cytomel. The cytomel is new (four days now). Prior to that i was taking 125mcg of synthroid.
    My question; If your thyroid tests (FT3, FT4, TSH, total T4 and T3) come back normal but you test posotive for ANA (anti nuclear antibodies) is it possible to have an autoimmune thyroid disease? Or would your thyroid levels come back out of range suggesting something was wrong? I haven't been tested for thyroid antibodies but a general ANA test came back positive.
    Please help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2007, 04:47 PM   #2
    Tired2Much
    (female)

Tired2Much HB User
    Unhappy Re: Hashimoto with normal thyroid test?

I was tested recently AGAIN after years for autoimmune disorder like MS, Lupus, thyroid. But the first round these seemed normal. So, I cried some more and said find out what is wrong with me. And the results were confusing. I don't have the major diseases. But my FErritin is 16, he says it should be >50. My Vit D was at 8.8. He said that should be>32. And my anti-TPO is positive. the other thyroid tests came back in the normal low range. But he is giving me syntroid instead. Is this a good thing????? I had one good day on SAturdsay where I swear it felt like a miracle to feel that good. Then I way over did....and I'm barely able to make sentences today. I have taken ambien hoping for a few extra hours sleep....and the words are floating. And the keys remind of the borg assimillation.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:54 PM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Hashimoto with normal thyroid test?

I'm not positive I completely understand your question. Here are some facts... let me know if they don't clear things up for you.

The leading cause of hypoT in industrialized nations is Hashimoto's thyroiditis... an autoimmune disease characterized by above-normal titers of TPO and/or Tg antibodies. Testing only for ANAs will not prove anything in and of itself; ANAs are only suggestive of an unspecified autoimmune disorder. It takes specific antibody tests - such as TPO, Tg, TSI, etc. - to determine which AI process is going on.
    About 10-20% of people who have Hashi's don't test positive for TPOs or Tgs; but when their glands are biopsied, the characteristic cell changes reveal the disease.

It takes a long time for the ABs to alter the other tests, and the disease is usually diagnosed before T4/T3 levels fall below range. If an MD is exceptionally smart, he/she understands that low-normal T4/T3 are bad for most people and will agree to treat. In general, if antibodies are present, TSH is 2.5 or above, FT4/T3 are low-normal, and symptoms are present, treatment is warranted. Even when TSH is below 2.5 and the other factors apply, treatment is probably warranted.

At this point, you're being treated. Testing for ABs now would be moot, because the treatment is the same no matter the cause of the hypoT.

Welcome to the board, and let us know how the treatment is going for you.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:30 AM   #4
    wxKathy2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Hello,
    Just wanted to add that I have always had "normal" thyroid labs, but have all the hypo symptoms and finally an endo found that I had nodules on my thyroid and treated me regardless of my labs (some of which showed low end FT3 and FT4 even on meds)- I even test negative for the ABs....although some show up, they are not out of range....and my ANA is negative.....I am still struggling with nodules that come and go and swelling up and down of my thyroid - and my symptoms - but I keep working with my doc because he listens to my symptoms and doesn't send me away....I currently take 150 mcgs of synthyroid and 5 cytomel and he has asked me if I want to try armour but I haven't yet....I have not lost the 60 lbs I gained but I have stopped gaining which is something - and I struggle with terrible fatigue and brain fog - but am hanging in there.....I plan to keep working with my doc until we find something that works better....
    Best wishes to you,
    Kathy
    PS never had a biopsy since nodules shrunk and mostly disappeared at one point....

Last edited by wxKathy2; 09-04-2007 at 08:31 AM.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:39 AM   #5
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

I have periodic every seven to ten day fluxes between hypo and hyper symptoms. I am positive for Hashimoto's and inconclusive for Graves.. my family has both. My TSH has always been normal in range except during pregnancy. My FT3/4, and T3/T4 are wacky. oscillating low and high and sometimes sticking in the normal but not optimal ranges. My MD has requested I keep a spread sheet of my symtoms to try and track patterns. I am not sure if they are going to try and plan when the do blood work or just use it as a guide for treatment. The last two time I did thyroid work things have been with in normal range but not optimal. In addition my symptoms are getting worse. I am waiting and counting the days to when I get to see my Endo for the first face to face. I hope she is everything the others are saying.

So yes I think an AI may be an issue for you. You need to be tested for the antibodies (TPOAb, TGAb) - Hashimoto's and (TSI, TRAb) - Graves. If you have both, you are most likely looking at Hashitoxicosis.

Midwest is spot on. I second that post.

Sincerely,
    MG

Last edited by mkgb; 09-04-2007 at 08:40 AM.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
    Aqua232
    (female)

Aqua232 HB User

Thank you for your input. It's better to hear an opinion from someone who has gone through it and knows how the disease feels and works firsthand. Thanks for your help.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:37 PM   #7
    david45249
    (male)

david45249 HB User

So if a person is positive for Hashimoto and has ft4 and ft3 that is in range should we increase the meds as necessary until the ft4 and ft3 are in the upper end of the range? Is having our t4 and t3 in the lower end of the range causing our symptoms?

Old 09-11-2007, 01:44 PM   #8
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by david45249 View Post
    So if a person is positive for Hashimoto and has ft4 and ft3 that is in range should we increase the meds as necessary until the ft4 and ft3 are in the upper end of the range? Is having our t4 and t3 in the lower end of the range causing our symptoms?
    It's very much possible - "In the range" doesn't necessarily mean "the best for You". If you have symptoms at the low end of the range you should try increasing the dose.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 09-11-2007 at 01:47 PM.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:33 PM   #9
    softball19
    (female)

softball19 HB User

I am one of those with hashimotos but with a regular blood work with all the symptoms of hypothyroid but they wont treat me. it sucks.

Closed Thread