It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Swelling in hands and feet. Should I be worried?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-04-2007, 07:51 AM   #1
    carmamarie
    (female)

carmamarie HB User
    Swelling in hands and feet. Should I be worried?

Hi,

I'm new to these boards. I have been having many thyroid symptoms both hyper and hypo over the years. Recently my doc found that my thyroid is swollen so they sent me off for blood tests last week. I will find out my results on the 12th.

Over the weekend my hands and feet have swollen so much it is painful (kinda like when you are on a long plane ride) I had to remove my wedding rings and can't get them back on. Should I be worried or is this just another symptom like the rest? I don't want to call my endo if this can wiat till the
    12th.

Your thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2007, 08:48 AM   #2
    iona_23
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

iona_23 HB User
    Re: Swelling in hands and feet. Should I be worried?

hi..u say that you've been having hypo and hyper symptoms for years, but have you been treated for any of these? have you been diagnosed? or are u just speculating the disease? before i was diagnosed with hashi's ...i constantly had swelling of the hands and feet. and they were SOOOOOOOOOOOO itchy too. i went to 2 gp and they gave me benedryl one time and moisturizer the second time. it took a CARDIOLOGIST to figure that i have hashi's. i was even hospitalized and they too couldn't figure out why i was having heart palpitations. so, firstly if u aren't diagnosed and aren't taking any meds....find a professional who would treat what you are feeling and not solely go by the numbers. i have all "normal" ranges myself but i'm on 75mcgs of synthroid because i test positive for hashimotos. i am no expert, but sometimes u just have to find the right doctor who will not only look at the numbers but also hear what you have to say. goodluck.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:58 AM   #3
    carmamarie
    (female)

carmamarie HB User

Hi,

I have not been diagnosed or treated for anything yet. I've had heart palpitations weight gain and loss of 10 pounds in a 2 week period (I've very small, normally 110 pounds so this amount of gain and loss is significant) my throid is visably swollen and I've had hair loss, muscle cramps (charly horses)

Heavy periods till I had a partial hysto a year ago. lost of symptoms but no diognosys or drugs. My thyroid was tested by my general doc in Jan and everything came back "normal" and my symptoms got better so I blew it off. Now I've suddenly gained weight out of the blue and I work out every day vigerously as well as keep under 1,500 calories with no loss.....

Soooo went back to doc and he saw that my thyroid is visably swollen. He sent me to an endo who sent me off for blood work last week. I have my follow up appt on the 12th to discuss my blood work but I'm wondering if the swelling is dangerous and should I call the doc or is it a "normal" side effect.

I may have nothing wrong with my thyroid but after reading the posts it appears to me something is going on based on my symptoms.

Just wanted to get your thoughts on the swelling in the meantime.

Thanks,
    Carma

Old 09-04-2007, 09:09 AM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Call your endo's officce and request a copy of your blood work. It may already be back in and just waiting on review by the MD for your appointment. Most blood work is completed with in a 3-5 day time frame.. this is if you had antibodies run as well. The Graves antibody tests can take longer to run.. upwards of ten days.

If you get the results you can then post them and the ranges here. Sounds like an AI too me. But only the Ab's will tell you that.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 09-04-2007, 09:30 AM   #5
    carmamarie
    (female)

carmamarie HB User

I'll do that. What is AI?

Old 09-04-2007, 09:33 AM   #6
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Auto Immune - AI, Just one of those pesky abbreviations.

Closed Thread