It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Neck Fluttering

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-04-2007, 08:36 AM   #1
    dcdrogers
    (female)

dcdrogers HB User
    Neck Fluttering

Has anyone experienced this symptom? I was just eating my lunch (bowl of cheerious) and all of a sudden the left-side of my neck started fluttering really fast. I was able to put my finger up to it and feel the sensation. It did not hurt or anything and only lasted for maybe 5 or 6 seconds.

This is the first time it's happened and I was wondering if it was just a fluke or if it has any bearing on my having Hashimoto's.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2007, 08:39 AM   #2
    iona_23
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

iona_23 HB User
    Re: Neck Fluttering

don't quite know what your talking about but i do get this pain in my neck from time to time. and its right in the middle of the back part of my neck. it kinda feels like stiff neck but after a few minutes, the pain goes away. i usually feel this if i'm picking up something of the floor. i don't think it has anything to do with hashi's...but if anyone has input on this, i too would like to know.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:48 AM   #3
    Petra1979
    (female)

Petra1979 HB User

I have had that fluttering sensation in my neck in the past and right now I have a painful and enlarged goiter. I am going to the endocrinologist on suspicion of Hashimoto's or nodules, but don't know anything as of yet. I will ask the endo. when I see her and get back to you!

-Petra

Old 09-04-2007, 08:57 AM   #4
    dcdrogers
    (female)

dcdrogers HB User

Petra,

I do have a goiter that I've had examined during a thyroid sonogram and scan. I'm wondering if the fluttering could be indicative that the goiter is growing or it I'm switching between a HyperT & HypoT phase. My goiter doesn't cause me pain, however, every couple of weeks (or months) I get a slightly sore throat and flu like symptoms that last for about 3 or 4 days and then it's gone.

It really did catch me by surprise, but it wasn't at all painful. I too am seeing my new Endo on September 14, 2007 and will be sure to mention it to her. It may be nothing and I haven't found anything relating this to Hashi's, but I thought I'm fairly new to this (at least I'm newly diagnosed) and wanted to know if there was any relation to the disease.

I hope you feel better soon and thanks for your comment. I look forward to hearing what your Endo has to say on the subject.

Thanks Again.

~Dacia

Old 09-04-2007, 09:02 AM   #5
    Petra1979
    (female)

Petra1979 HB User

No problem Dacia! I am new also (not even diagnosed) so we can help each other out!

-Petra

Old 09-04-2007, 07:29 PM   #6
    homie78
    (female)

homie78 HB User

Hey gang,

You are not alone on this! I have had neck flutters on my right side right in the middle section (down from where you would check pulse on neck, about midway down from jawline) It will flutter and go away. I also have this in my eye and my shoulder blade.

Last week, I had a muscle "flutter" I won't say spasm, because it is painless, but irritating as heck! This muscle flutter lasted for almost an hour, it was fluttering so that you could see my shoulder "jumping" in that spot! It was almost comical. Never really thought of this being related to Thyroid, I do not have Hashi's, but wonder if Hypo, Hyper or Hashi's can affect muscular activity causing a fluttering feeling at times.....Good food for thought, I am going to see my Endo again in Oct and plan on asking too.

Good Luck and good health, lets keep each other posted

Old 09-05-2007, 04:37 AM   #7
    dcdrogers
    (female)

dcdrogers HB User

I'm not sure if there is any connection, but I woke up this morning with a sore throat. The soreness is on the left-side of my throad and my left ear drum also hurts when swallowing liquids. This is not unusual for me and happens every 6 to 8 weeks or so. It always feels like I'm about to come down with a bad cold or strep throat, but the pain usually resides in 3 or 4 days.

Again.... not sure if the flutter had anything to do with the sore throat, but I'm drinking hot liquids and taking Excedrin for the pain.

Thanks

~Dee

Old 09-05-2007, 05:34 PM   #8
    homie78
    (female)

homie78 HB User

I too experience the sore throat, exact same thing, feel as though may be coming down with strep, but never have. It will last a few days and then go away, I also feel as though the glands right there will feel a little swollen too.

Never noticed any connection with fluttering and the sore throat myself. And I have not experienced the ear drum pain (ouch, that is no fun )

I hope I am not going to talk it up, I haven't had a sore throat in a couple months actually....knock on wood : )

Hope you feel better, lots of soup and hot tea!!

Closed Thread