It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Brain Function and Hypothyroid

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-04-2007, 04:10 PM   #1
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User
    Brain Function and Hypothyroid

Since my hypo(hashi's) diagnosis approx a year ago , I don't feel as on top of things mentally as I used to. But I have to take into account that I have just had medically the worst year of my life and have had alot of trouble with stress.I also lost someone very dear to me over this past year and it's been a heartbreak. I know that stress is bad for the system. I am doing what I can to try to pick up the pieces- exercise, watching my health, eating well, etc. My thyroid levels are ok now. I probably went undiagnosed for more than a few years.At diagnosis tsh 14 (ref range .40-5.5) and t-4,free 1.1(0.8-1.8).

My question though is more general and pertains to all of us though. Does anyone know whether untreated for a few years will result in brain damage or lower functioning?
    With treatment is our level of brain functioning restored to our normal or is it going to be somewhat less than our normal before hypothyroid?

I have a cousin who is hypo and being treated, my sister referred to this cousin as not all there. That is not a nice thing to say about someone and it irked me. I wonder if I seem not all there?? Seriously this is bothering me. Any comments ?

I suppose I should bluntly ask the endo at my next appt.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2007, 12:25 AM   #2
    aussiejenni
    (female)

aussiejenni HB User
    Re: Brain Function and Hypothyroid

Quote:
    Originally Posted by osteoblast View Post
    Since my hypo(hashi's) diagnosis approx a year ago , I don't feel as on top of things mentally as I used to. But I have to take into account that I have just had medically the worst year of my life and have had alot of trouble with stress.I also lost someone very dear to me over this past year and it's been a heartbreak. I know that stress is bad for the system. I am doing what I can to try to pick up the pieces- exercise, watching my health, eating well, etc. My thyroid levels are ok now. I probably went undiagnosed for more than a few years.At diagnosis tsh 14 (ref range .40-5.5) and t-4,free 1.1(0.8-1.8).

My question though is more general and pertains to all of us though. Does anyone know whether untreated for a few years will result in brain damage or lower functioning?
    With treatment is our level of brain functioning restored to our normal or is it going to be somewhat less than our normal before hypothyroid?

I have a cousin who is hypo and being treated, my sister referred to this cousin as not all there. That is not a nice thing to say about someone and it irked me. I wonder if I seem not all there?? Seriously this is bothering me. Any comments ?

I suppose I should bluntly ask the endo at my next appt.
    I can't answer your question about brain function here but I was very mentally alert when I had Graves Disease to say the least; but now after the TT and being hypo I have days when I am struggling to think properly etc, and I get depressed whereas before I never suffered with depression.
    Take care
    Jenni

Old 09-05-2007, 07:53 AM   #3
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Thanks AusssieJennie-Sorry to hear that your TT seems to have had these effects. Maybe for both of us some time will help.I'll post with endo's response in about two months or so.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:10 AM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

I can sympathize with the brain fog and attention lapses. I have to continually right lists and notes to myself. I will walk up stairs and forget why I went up there... it is very annoying becaus eyou go back down stairs and root about only to finally recollect and think Ah.. and forget again at the top of the stairs. I have take to using my 4 almost five year old as an auxillary hard drive. Son remind mommy to do this or what not.. and he will chant it over and over and over until I get it done.. then i give him the next task in line. When he hits the annoying.. have you done *** yet? repetition cycle it is time to get out and do something brainless.

I am not sure if you recover completely yet.. just diagnosed Hashi's with inconclusive Graves test. Waiting to see my endo and start treatment. I would love it if I just made it back to 85% efficiency. Right now it is ridiculas and I would be lost with out my PDA and computer.

Sincerely,
    MG

Closed Thread