It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Drugged Up.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-04-2007, 04:20 PM   #1
    thyroidmadness
    (female)

thyroidmadness HB User
    Drugged Up.

I have been feeling like I am drugged up lately. It was so bad the other day that I went to the er. They did cmp which came back as...

Listing Lows

Bun 8 9-23
    bun/creat 9 12-20
    cl 100 103-112
    na++ 132 135-145
    osmo 272 280-301

Anyone interpret this? I am thinking adrenal fatigue. They say blood work is normal tension headache. LOL I feel weird seriously like I am drugged up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2007, 05:22 AM   #2
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User
    Re: Drugged Up.

Those labs point toward Alkalosis . The low sodium especially will make you feel funny. Are you by any chance drinking large quantities of water? Or perhaps avoiding salt in your diet? Taking a diuretic of some sort, either natural or prescribed? Drinking lots of milk? Taking antacids? Peeing up a storm? Adrenals might be a maybe but there are so many causes for it. It's time to look for the cause and rule out some of the more common possibilities.

I'm very familiar with Acidosis but haven't read up a whole bunch on the other end of the spectrum. There's lots of info out there on it though. Try tossing the word Alkalosis into a search engine and see what you come up with. If you can't find something or can't understand it, give a holler. I've got the info around here somewhere.

Helen

Old 09-05-2007, 11:32 AM   #3
    thyroidmadness
    (female)

thyroidmadness HB User

Just got back from the new doc. She called for my hospital records right away and had them faxed to her while I was there, She's running a bunch of tests and said that I am most likely feeling this way because my labs are so low not because a Tension headache with normal labs like they told me. Potassium Is low as well. I am on a regimen of vitamins, she ran Thyroid tests to see if I need a dose change. She is rather concerned about the reactive Lymph nodes in my neck. and said The tests that they ran will not pick up Thyroid tumors. She's going to do Uptake and US after a big course of antibiotics to determine if further Cancer investigation is needed. I liked her. She listened to what I was saying and asked question. She was genuinely concerned. I didn't feel like an idiot with a darn tension headache. (lol) I am still not feeling "right" but I feel better knowing that someone is trying to do the right thing.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:02 AM   #4
    thyroidmadness
    (female)

thyroidmadness HB User
    Angry Re: Drugged Up.

Got my Thyroid Panel back today. Here's the results. I am on 2 grains of Armour. They won't increase my meds. Said T4 is low but it's barely low.

TSH 1.16
    T3 28 22-35
    T4 0.6 0.8-1.8

Old 09-07-2007, 10:30 AM   #5
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Could you talk them into a low dose of synthroid.. just T4 to go with your Armour? I seen nothing that says one can not mix these medications safely. It might be the way to go if the T3 and TSH are where you feel comfortable.

SIncerely,
    MG

Old 09-07-2007, 01:10 PM   #6
    thyroidmadness
    (female)

thyroidmadness HB User

She refuses to up meds at all. And to make matters worse that T3 was actually an uptake test. Argggggg.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:29 AM   #7
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User

Most people need at least 3 grains of Armour. The TSH is usually supressed very low (and often to 0) when you are on an adequate amount of Armour.

Is the T4 free?

On the day of the lab test, did you take the Armour before the blood was drawn? (It is best to take the Armour after the blood is drawn).

Are you on a low salt diet and doing those things that Helen asked?

Old 09-09-2007, 05:03 AM   #8
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Upping the thyroid meds isn't going to do anything for those other lab numbers. In fact, she's probably doing the right thing in not upping til whatever else is going on is straightened out. Somethings going on and that in itself could be lowering your thyroid levels.

I have acidosis. It started affecting my kidney function. When that happened my thyroid hormones levels went from hyper to almost hypo in the blink of an eye.

You need to find out what's going on with the acid base balance before you do anything with the thyroid or you may end up with a mess on your hands. You absolutely do not want to accidently go hyper. I promise you, that ain't no fun and right now, you're at a safe level that isn't going to permanently harm you.

What did the doc say about those other labs? We aren't getting the whole story here. Have they been redone? How are you feeling? The same or are things improving?

I've been a little slow keeping up on the boards lately. Had a lot going on or I would have got back to you sooner.

Take care and please let us know how you're doing.

Helen

Old 09-09-2007, 10:48 PM   #9
    thyroidmadness
    (female)

thyroidmadness HB User

No I'm not on any type of diet. I don't limit salt intake and dont drink too much water. I am really confused as to what is really going on here. I live in a small town so good docs are hard to come by. I've had lots of trouble with my Thyroid on and off. When I was first dx'd I had some Potassium troubles as well.

I'm not sure about the acid imbalance stuff. The doc just said I may be feeling this way because those numbers are off. She didn't order any "treatment" for it. I started taking Potassium and a few other vits when I started feeling really bad thinking maybe it was the potassium again. I told her what I am taking. I will be going to pick up the copies of my labs in the morning. I'll post those when I get the report to see what you guys think. SO if your right about the acid thing what do I do? What tests would I need Etc.

What do I say to the doc? I still don't feel right. I have been having more "normal" spells than I was but something is just not right. My head starts hurting then I get really tired, and then I start feeling like I'm drugged up. It's strange and hard to describe. I get weak all over and Just kinda feel drugged up. It's really scary cause it kinda feels like I'm going to pass out and not wake up.

I do appreciate all your help and reply's.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:30 PM   #10
    thyroidmadness
    (female)

thyroidmadness HB User

Well I just drove over there (25miles) to get those lab copies and the office is closed. She didn't tell me that they were closed Monday when I talked to her Friday. So it looks like it will be tomorrow when I can pick up the labs. I think she did re-run the Cmp panel. I will post them tomorrow after I get them though. Just wanted to update so you knew I wasn't blowing you guys off.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:48 PM   #11
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I live in a small town. We have one doctor.

I've been reading a little. Do you take antacids? Baking soda? Do you have asthma or any other respiratory disorder? Do you smoke?

Something that will not hurt: Increase your salt intake just a little bit. Add a little extra salt to the food or find something salty you like. Cut out any antacids, tums, mylanta, or any of those others. Careful on the potassium sups and make sure your potassium level is monitored if you are doing those. Next time you feel funny, get a paper lunch bag and breath into it. Do not use plastic. That will increase the acid level in your blood. What you want to do is breath back in some of the carbon dioxide (acid) that you are breathing out. Dont' do it for more than 5 minutes at a time.

If nothing else, it might make you feel better until they figure it out. I've got the opposite problem as you. My bloods too acid. I am doing a quart of milk a day and trying to hyperventilate once an hour. I've brought my chloride down from 113 to 110 over the last month. Not bad for some old fashioned tricks. To do that, all I did was look up some of the causes of alkalosis and went ahead and tried to create an alkalolis to counteract the acidosis.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:29 AM   #12
    thyroidmadness
    (female)

thyroidmadness HB User

Copy of labs...

glucose 91 (65-99)
    bun 12(7-25)
    creatinine 0.8 (0.5-1.2)
    GFR >60 (> or = 60)
    bun/crea 15 (6-22)
    Sodium 139 (135-146)
    Potassium 4.4 (3.5-5.3)
    Chloride 108 (98-110)
    Carbon dioxide 20 (21-33) L
    Calcium 9.7 (8.6-10.2)
    Protein, total 7.2 (6.2-8.3)
    Albumin 4.7 (3.6-5.1)
    Globulin 2.5 (2.2-3.9)
    Alb/glb ratio 1.9 (1.0-2.1)
    Bili, total 0.2 (0.2-1.2)
    Alk phosphate 67 (33-115)
    AST 19 (10-30)
    Alt 12 (6-40)

T-3 Uptake 28 (22-35%)
    T-4 Free 0.6 (0.8-1.8) L

Tsh 3rd gen 1.16 (0.40-4.50)

So It looks like everything is coming back up but Carbon Dioxide is now low. Those T4's are low as well and I have no clue about the T3's cause she did a darn uptake scan.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:28 PM   #13
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

That's looking a lot better. It's hard to tell what was going on but were you by any chance sick recently? Looking at the labs, the paper bag trick will work if you feel funny again until the co2 comes back up in it's own. I think it will. The co2 is usually the last thing to come up. Once it's back in range, you should not feel those weird sensations any more.

When's your next set of thyroid labs? Make sure they get the free t3 on the next go round. I agree with MG in that if that t4 doesn't come up and the ft3 is in a good range, the addition of a little t4 would make you feel better. You may not be getting enough t4 from the armour alone. Hard to tell though without the t3.

If your doc won't do a new panel in the next month or so, are you in a position to be able to afford to order your own labs online?

Old 09-11-2007, 12:49 PM   #14
    thyroidmadness
    (female)

thyroidmadness HB User

I am going to make an appointment in about 4 weeks to talk with her again. Unless of course things get really bad before then. I am feeling like I am getting better. I do feel like I am "thinking" better now if that makes sense. I more so feel Hypo symptoms now. I was doing some reading last night and I am wondering if I was headed for a Myxedema coma. The symptoms I was having and allot of my labs correlate to that possibility. I did in fact tell Dh that I felt like I was going to go into a Coma. Thanks again for all the help.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:49 PM   #15
    thyroidmadness
    (female)

thyroidmadness HB User

UPDATE:

I found a different doctor since I am still not feeling well at all. He did labs again. I will not have copies until tomorrow but I just found out that my TSH is now 2.85(1.16 a few weeks back), T3 are low now as well as T4's. He also did A thy Per and A thy Glob which are now both positive. I now have a thyroid nodule as well. He believes the drugged feelings are from the enlarged thyroid and Lymph nodes Compressing on things. I now have inherited a very raspy voice as well. My cmp and cbc came back normal this time. I am scheduled for US tomorrow to have a look at the "lumps".

So am I correct in assuming that I am feeling this bad due to the new Antibodies attacking dragging me further into Hyponess. Before I only had very slight TPO If I remember it was like 10 and neg on the other. I am already on 2 grains of Armour at this time. He said he is going to adjust my meds. He's talking about adding T4's to the Armour since those are so low. But wants to wait till after the US is done. I am now getting a bit hopeful that the enlarged Nodes and Thyroid Nodule are nothing more than the Hashi's.

Closed Thread