It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Transdermal T3 anyone?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-05-2007, 10:02 AM   #1
    birchtree
    Veteran
    (female)

birchtree HB Userbirchtree HB User
    Transdermal T3 anyone?

Just talked to my naturopathic doc about the latest lab results, which showed too low TSH, too high Free T4 and too low Free T3. He said it was obvious I am not converting right and I need to get more T3 into my system without adding more T4.

He has been speaking to colleagues nation-wide about his "thyroid problematic patients" (That's me!! )...one of his colleagues has had very good success with using transdermal T3 (think similar to progesterone cream) on patients who can't tolerate taking T3 in any other form.

He's going to take the next few days to look into it further before ordering/prescribing to me. In the meantime, I'm about to do some Internet searching re: same. Right now I like him 'cause he's given me a little hope, once again....

Anybody used/heard of transdermal T3?

thanks,
    B

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2007, 10:18 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Transdermal T3 anyone?

Humm it didn't come up in my pharmacological data base which makes me go ick. It most likely has not passed FDA standards of testing as of yet. The question is are they working on it. I will keep digging and see what I can find on it.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 09-05-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
    birchtree
    Veteran
    (female)

birchtree HB Userbirchtree HB User

Thanks for looking!

Just curious - does compounded T3 or progesterone cream come up on your pharmacological database? I'm especially curious about the progesterone cream.

thanks much!
    B

Old 09-05-2007, 11:37 AM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

There are FDA grade progesterone creams in my data base. Premarin and Ogen are teh main ones.. some natural menopause creams are also listed but not certified.

T3 is listed, but only the tablet none compounded prescription form.
    There are favorable studies stating two thirds of various studies including compounded slow released T3 showed dramatic improvement in symptoms.. but the studies have not been preformed on a large enough scale to be accepted on a whole by the medical community. Recommendations is to discuss with your endo and see if they are willing and you are willing to experiment with this treatment.

Personally I would give it a shot if I was still symptomatic on T4 alone. There are no negative studies out there.. the main issue is that the human studies have been small cluster groups of less than 50. What does this mean? They need more human guinea pigs to be willing to jump in the cage together at the same time!

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 09-05-2007, 01:27 PM   #5
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I have no advice or comment, but I remember this subject coming up before. Here's what I found on an Advanced Search:
    [url] http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=305408& [/url]

Closed Thread