It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Symptoms characteristic of thyroid problem?l

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-05-2007, 08:47 PM   #1
    spidercomrade
    (male)

spidercomrade HB User
    Symptoms characteristic of thyroid problem?l

Skip this paragraph if you want to get straight to my question, this is my backstory: I have spent the past summer in and out of the doctor's office and hospitals. From the very beginning, the doctors thought my problems were caused by a thyroid problem or anxiety; the very first physician i saw gave me Ativan after my blood tests came back clean. Anyway, my journey through the tentative diagnoses of many doctors is documented on these message boards. I've had blood tests, MRIs, CTs, sinus endoscopies... I thought for two weeks I had a skull base bone tumor as a result of the first MRI, ordered by my physician to "ease my mind". Eventually, after a new MRI and a CT, my neurosurgeon diagnosed me with fibrous dysplasia of the skull base, which is a weakening of the bone. Not necessarily good, but he said that it couldn't be causing my symptoms. I have been prescribed medications for anxiety, depression, allergies, sinus infection, etc... I can give a full list if needed.

Anyway, my question is this:

Could this be a thyroid problem? My symptoms are:

- Feeling of pressure in head, bridge of nose sometimes and top of head
    - Yawning
    - Dazed feeling
    - Muscle twitches (myoclonus? limb jerks) and fasciculations
    - Extreme fatigue, especially in neck area
    - Lump in throat/neck
    - Hard to define symptom... things look odd to me, as if my vision is altered in some way... my eyes were fine when i got an eye exam
    - General malaise, feeling there's something wrong with me
    - Anxiety/depression relating, I assume, to having had these symptoms for so long

These symptoms seem to come and go, but usually at least one is present at any given time.

Could these be related to a thyroid problem? Could the original blood test have given a false negative/could I still have a thyroid problem despite the blood test returning "normal" TSH levels?" I'm desperate to find answers, I have felt sick for months now.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by spidercomrade; 09-05-2007 at 08:48 PM. Reason: errors fixed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2007, 09:29 PM   #2
    m. m.
    (female)

m. m. HB User
    Re: Symptoms characteristic of thyroid problem?l

I'm in no way trying to minimize the severity of your situation by asking this question, and not suggesting it couldn't be your thyroid, but have you been evaluated by a physical med doc or chiropractor for cervical spine subluxations? I spent a year under care of "top notch" neurology clinic drugged up on meds with everything scanned, poked and proded from waist up for weird sinus issue/one sided head/eye pain/dizzy/swollen neck glands on one side/worn out from constant discomfort, etc.. After I refused to believe I was one of the unforutante ones who would just have to live with the DAILY unrelenting discomfort I sought additional consult from a chiropractor. Turned out I had cervical vertebrae out of alignment that were screwing with the nerves to my neck/head/face. After first visit I no longer needed meds and over time corrected the problem. Nerves that originate in upper spine ultimately affect lots of things in the head/neck/face region. Just something to consider if the thyroid route doesn't prove fruitful.

Michelle

Old 09-06-2007, 08:09 AM   #3
    monarog
    (female)

monarog HB User

Spidercomrade...

I have all of your symptoms in addition to a few others which include: numbness/tingling - from face/tongue to feet, I know all about the twitches - everywhere, racing nervous system - my startle reflex is over-the top, dizzy/lightheaded/balance not right, so much neck pain, feel terrible every day all day. I have been dealing with this for 1 1/2 years. I definitely had a ruptured disc in my neck. It was later determined that it was flattening my spinal cord. Anyway, had fusion surgery 5 months ago; I've had zero improvement with my symptoms. Now I wonder if it's something completely different or some other problem actually caused my herniation and here I am still sick. I've had blood work for just about everything under the sun including thyroid, Lyme Disease, vitamin deficiencies etc. Not only spinal MRI's, 2 brain MRI's, spinal tap, EMG/NVC etc. I'm at a loss and sick of being sick. If you find answers, please post. I have just been waiting to see if I'll get better, no such luck. I guess I'll gear up to start consulting docs again. For the most part, they want to prescribe some sort of Rx, none of which have helped much, and send me on my way. I know I'm suffering from depression; but, it's as a RESULT of all of this, not the cause. I have 3 kids and a husband; it's been a rough road. Good luck.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:43 AM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

To completely rule out or determine if the thyroid may be the cause you need to have more than a TSH run. It will also be best if you can get your blood work done, when your eyes are wonky and your symptoms are at their peak.

These are the tests you need to request run.. they may argue with you.. tell them to do it for piece of mind and that if they are negative you can drop the matter for your combined worry list...
    TSH
    FT3
    FT4
    T3 Uptake
    TPOAb
    TGAb
    TSI
    TRAb

This will allow for you to determine if you need to see and Endocrinologist for an AI or something else. TSH has a wide range that is considered normal.. just because it is "normal" doesn't mean it is optimal for you. A TSH alone is insufficient to rule out a thyroid disorder or AI. See if you can get your TSH results and range. The newly adjusted normal range is .35-3.. not the .35 to 5-6 some are using today. Optimum for most people is between 1-2. Mine has always looked optimum, but my T3 and T4 and TPOAb and TGab are wacked. I have Hashi's and my body is at war with itself it seems. Whee.. what fun. Anyway get yourself checked out. Those are definitely some of the symptoms.. I am suprised you do not have the bowel and skin issues as well though.. those seem to show up early on.

Getting evaluated by a chiroprator is another good idea.. even if it is not the source of the issue.. they can realign you and prod you in ways that make you melt and refuse to drive home for a long while... Humm, note to self visit the chiropractor again.

Good luck,
    Sincerely,
    MG

Old 09-06-2007, 11:03 AM   #5
    spidercomrade
    (male)

spidercomrade HB User

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm pretty sure that my blood test only checked TSH level, and I wasn't given the results... someone from the lab just called and said "You're healthy!" All doctors after that said that I didn't need another blood test since I had one so recently.

Also, I do have bowel symptoms/problems, but I didn't attribute that to these other symptoms since they were around a little before my current symptoms. Also, I developed mild lactose intolerance, so I just chalked any problems I might have up to that.

Also, I haven't really had any problems with my weight. I am neither heavier nor lighter than I ever was. Whenever I mention thyroid to someone who isn't a doctor, they say "Wouldn't you be getting fatter if you had a thyroid problem?" I'm not sure if that's a good sign it isn't a thyroid problem.

Monarog, I wish you well and I promise I'll post it here if I get better. My sickness, or whatever it is, has been going on for 6 months now, so I'm beginning to wonder if I will get over it at all.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

In answer to the wouldn't you be getting fatter comment. That directly pertains to hypothyroid. If you are in the early stages you may be holding steady and it may not be easy for you to lose weight. Then if you were hyper you would look anorexic and no matter what not be able to keep weight on. There is also the state where your thyroid can enter a state of war with itself Hashitoxicosis.. this is an AI where you have Graves and Hashi's.. Hashi's will win in the end, but until then look out. Also it is common in the early stages of the hypothyroid condition Hashi's to swing from hypo to hyper and back again as your thyroid fights against the antibodies your body is producing to kill it. The endocrine system is a mystery and the only true way to tell is to get the tests run.

I wish I could offer a more definitive answer, but with out the tests it is just mysterious unknown symptoms. I hate when the MDs say I don't know and then refuse to help you search for the answer. Don't you?

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 09-06-2007, 02:26 PM   #7
    monarog
    (female)

monarog HB User

Hi,
    I haven't looked into thyroid stuff too much, other than having the blood work done. I think I will go into my doc to request the other more thorough testing, however. When you mention skin symptoms, I'll do a web search, but what are common skin symptoms? I have one spot inside of my arm that is SO ITCHY...no rash or anything. But several times a day it will just itch and itch for a minute or two, then it's over until next time. Also, I have noticed that my legs mostly, possibly my trunk area as well, are clammy, a little more sweaty than my usual self. My legs have that sticking together feeling when I'm in bed at night, which I never had before, at least not as my "usual" self. Also, any info on facial symptoms, like numbness or trembling type feelings? Thanks for info guys.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:53 PM   #8
    spidercomrade
    (male)

spidercomrade HB User

I get fasciculations in my face, especially my eyelid and around my mouth. As for skin problems, I have had dry skin since I was a kid. I also have a really dry scalp, I don't know if that's related. But yea I guess I will get more tests if I can... I'm at school right now and I don't know if I trust the campus medical center... this is where I got my first blood tests too.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:02 PM   #9
    spidercomrade
    (male)

spidercomrade HB User

Hello again!

My listed symptoms persist... I just got the campus medical service to release the results of my blood tests. They only thing they checked pertaining to thyroid was the TSH, which was 2.80. This is within their listed range of .5-6.00. I was wondering if my symptoms still could be caused by a thyroid disorder? I'd really like to start feeling better, but I'm not sure where to go from here. Doctors are stumped and I'm tired of being poked and prodded. Does TSH of 2.8 prove that my thyroid is fine?

Old 10-01-2007, 05:25 PM   #10
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TSH of 2.8 is not optimal.. it is within the .3 - 3.0 accepted normal range.. but it is border line thyroid failure by my Endo's book. I am betting that your T3 and T4 values are well below optimal as well.

It may mena you have something like Hashimoto's and you could request that the TPOAb be pulled. They will have to send it out for analysis so you wouldn't have to worry about them botching it.. if you request a FT4 and FT3 as well you will be dealing with an outside lab in most cases as well.

At this point you are with in the current normal and with out have FT3 and FT4 readings below the normal range you most likely will not get attention you need with out a fight. You have the right ti focus and be concerned about your thyroid.

Did they run any T4 or T3 tests? What were those numbers?

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 10-01-2007, 05:48 PM   #11
    spidercomrade
    (male)

spidercomrade HB User

No other thyroid tests were run that I can tell. I can give a full rundown of the results if needed... a lot of the rest of this report is Latin to me but it seems to be divided into 4 sections: CBC (blood cell counts), Auto Differential, Comp. Metabolic and then the TSH 3rd Gen. Unless the other thyroid counts are hidden somewhere else in here, they weren't checked.

I have scheduled another appointment with the doctor who ordered this original blood test on Friday, not necessarily related to the thyroid question but just another attempt at getting me healthy again. Should I inquire about this TSH level?

Old 10-01-2007, 06:51 PM   #12
    grace1908
    (female)

grace1908 HB User

I second MG's sound advice. If you do have hypothyroidism, having a TSH at almost 3 can give you many symptoms. A lot of smart Endocrinologists want TSH no higher than 2 and more in the 1 or slightly lesser range. You may or may not have a thyroid problem but you can't rule one out until you get more complete testing. You may also have a thryoid problem in addition to some other problem that can make diagnosis even harder.

Take care

Grace

Old 10-01-2007, 10:40 PM   #13
    spidercomrade
    (male)

spidercomrade HB User

Ok so the next step would be to talk to the doctor about starting me on medication, or get more tests? Or something else?

Old 10-02-2007, 07:12 AM   #14
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Next step.. get your FT3 and FT4 and TPOAb and TGAb checked.

Once the results come back here you need to see if the FT3/Ft4 are low or below mid range. If so this is confirming hypothyroidism. Now if the TPOAb and TGAb come back positive you are looking at an Autoimmune disorder based hypothyroidism called Hashimoto's disease.

With a TSH of just within normal ranges the will say.. you are within the accepted range.. let's watch you like the human guinea pig we think you are.. If you can bring them all the results and force them to look at the labs and your symptoms you stand a better chance of starting treatment sooner.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 10-02-2007, 09:43 AM   #15
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

I would also advise to have other levels checked such as B12. Your symptoms sound familiar to me especially the hard to describe eye issues. When I became hypo I also had these vague eye issues (hard to focus?). Had my B12 tested and my GP told me I was in range at 536 (200-1100) but later a naturopath told me anyone under 800 should take supplements. Took a sublingual megadose that evening and by morning my eyesight was DRAMATICALLY improved. (I had issues with neuropathy that I hoped would improve but had no idea that eyesight was affected by B12)

Good Luck!

Closed Thread