It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Sore Throat

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-06-2007, 06:32 AM   #1
    Petra1979
    (female)

Petra1979 HB User
    Sore Throat

I have been noticing that a lot of people here complain of a sore throat. Is this sore throat common in thyroid patients? Mine started about four-five weeks ago and I have it about every other day, feels like I am coming down with something, then goes away. I have this along with a feeling of swelling that makes it hard to swallow and sometimes to talk and breathe. I am waiting to see the endo. next week, and I am hoping to get answers there, but just thought I would see what connections you guys have.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2007, 09:13 AM   #2
    MOMOFBOYZ
    Veteran
    (female)

MOMOFBOYZ HB User
    Re: Sore Throat

Hi PETRA,
    I am sorry that I don't have any answers. But I wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I have been sick for 2 yrs this August. With so many symptoms that I won't list them. But I too have had a sore throat (one doctor insists it is a symptom of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) but I don't know. It feels extremely hoarse like I have been yelling a lot too. One day I think it is a cold or allergies then it's better then it's back. Also I read to my kids at night and have a veryhard time reading very much. My throat is dry and sore and raw and hoarse.

I have Hashi's and a small 8mm nodule so I think it may very well be from the thyroid. I feel often but not always that there is a ball in my throat. Like I can't get a big enough breath, too.

I wish I had answers. Your post just caught my eye.
    Maybe someone with some advice will post for us. I usually have so much to talk about with my endo that I forget this symptom.

Have a great day!
    Deena

Old 09-06-2007, 09:24 AM   #3
    Petra1979
    (female)

Petra1979 HB User

Thanks for the post Deena, I appreciate it. I have a feeling that this is a symptom of thyroid issues. Anyone else have any ideas?

Old 09-06-2007, 10:01 AM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

I have a chronic sore throat and periodic hoarseness. I also now know I have Hashi's.

Well I am doind all I can for allergies.. got the complete roto rooter for my sinuses and am pretty sure that the throat issues are linked to my needing to be spanked thyroid. If it were only so easy...

I keep a running spread sheet of all hypo and hyper symptoms. I keep up with my blood temperature and pressure on a daily basis too. And by checking off what I am suffering from each morning and night and adding comments when necessary.. my log is quite revealing. I have difficulty swallowing, soreness, and hoarseness always when I am transitioning between what I call my mini hyper to hypo states. Looking at all this data just makes me wonder, how long have I been oblivious?

If you have not been thoroughly tested and have many other thyroid symptoms as well as a thyroid family risk factor.. you should get your self tested. TSH, FT3, FT4, TPOAb, TGAb minimum.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 09-06-2007, 03:26 PM   #5
    homie78
    (female)

homie78 HB User

This same conversation is happening in a Thread titled "Neck Flutters or Neck Fluttering" it may have some helpful info/advice in it for you.

I get a sore throat on and off, to the point of feeling "strepish," but then it goes away in a few days. Also feel the swelling of the glands. I too experience difficulty breathing, not very often, but sometimes will feel as though no matter how much I try, I cannot take a "deep" breath and find myself running out of air trying to complete a simple sentence. I am a smoker, I know bad girl , but must be honest here, and have always thought it was just due to that fact, even though I am a very light smoker, maybe 4-5 a day. Having second thoughts on that now.

Sounds as if this is just ANOTHER symptom of the on-going issues that unfortunately we have to learn to deal with.

Wish you good luck and health!

Old 09-08-2007, 11:51 PM   #6
    soothie
    (female)

soothie HB User

Hi,

I started my meds for hyperthyroidism 2 months ago and the day after I started, the sore throat came along and barely goes away for more than a day. The last few weeks it is quite obviously red with the occasional small nodules.

I've on antibiotics for 5 weeks for other infections relating to the thyroid condition.

Everyone thinks I'm crazy and my doc gives me a blank stare.

you are not alone with your concerns and in a confused state about what to make about this.

Soothie

Closed Thread