It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Have my hands on results! What do they mean?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-06-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
    fran48
    (female)

fran48 HB User
    Have my hands on results! What do they mean?

Hi all,

I have managed to get my mitts on a copy of my most recent test results - my GP has given me them to pass on to my consultant - but I haven't a clue what they mean! Here in the UK doctors aren't very forthcoming with the actual results on paper - they just say either too high or too low - so this is complete gobbledygook to me so please please tell me what it all means!

Serum TSH level HI 47.72/miu/L (0.35-5.00)
    Serum free T4 level 14.2 pmol/L (11.0-23.0)

I need your expertise! Please shine some light - I know my GP said that my levels are way too low, but there must be more to it......

Any help would be much appreciated.

Fran

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2007, 12:54 PM   #2
    birchtree
    Veteran
    (female)

birchtree HB Userbirchtree HB User
    Re: Have my hands on results! What do they mean?

Am I reading this right:

Serum TSH level HI 47.72/miu/L (0.35-5.00)

and your doctor is saying this level is low???? 47.72 is way over 5.0 last I remember...this is a very very high TSH number indicating a thyroid problem.

Am I reading this right?

cheers
    B

Old 09-06-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I will assume that he meant your thyroid function is low. Your free T4 level is low however, which makes your TSH level high.

At any rate... You are hypothyroid and should have been given thyroxine to replace the hormone your gland is no longer making enough of. If you by chance have not been prescribed supplemental hormone, you should demand to know why not.

The most common cause of hypoT is an autoimmune condition known as Hashimoto's thyroiditis, but there's no way to know if that's what you're dealing with unless your blood is tested for autoantibodies. Some doctors don't always test for them, because the treatment is the same no matter what the cause of the hypoT is.

Thyroid conditions frequently run in families. If you have other relatives with either hypo- or hyperT, or even a different autoimmune disease, you are more at risk to have one yourself.

The best book for new patients in the US is Thyroid for Dummies by Dr. Alan Rubin. I'm unsure what US publications you can find there, or what a comparable English one would be.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:13 AM   #4
    fran48
    (female)

fran48 HB User

Many thanks for your replies. I was on 75mcg a day, then had a TT in June and I've just been put on 100mcg a day. Is it possible to have Hashi's when there's no actual thyroid? I'm seeing my consultant next week and I suspect that he's going to up my dose again, which is fine because I feel awful! Should I ask him to test for Hashi's? What other autoimmune tests can they do? I'd like to go to my appointment prepared!

Thank you so much for translating my test results!

Fran

Old 09-07-2007, 07:47 AM   #5
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

If you had said at first that you had a TT, I would not have mentioned Hashi's at all. It's a moot point for you now. No need to test for it.

Your recent dose increase is justified. You'll need a retest of blood levels in 6-8 weeks to see what it's doing for you. Another increase seems likely after that, given your present TSH. An average full replacement dose of levoT is around 150 mcgs, give or take, depending on individual requirements. Some people need as much as 250 mcgs.

Titrating to an optimal dose requires time and patience. I hope it won't be too hard for you waiting to get there.
    Good luck!

Old 09-07-2007, 10:40 AM   #6
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

I dito the hypothyroid or low thyroid function analysis from the others. You might also want to request your FT3 be checked as well. It could be causing you issues. My standard test request will be TSH, FT3, FT4, t3 Uptake form here on out. I am a Hashi's underconverter. Fun huh?

Sincerely,
    MG

Closed Thread