It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Normal TSH, low T4, what does that mean?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-07-2007, 08:03 AM   #1
    Petra1979
    (female)

Petra1979 HB User
    Normal TSH, low T4, what does that mean?

Does anyone have any idea what a normal TSH (.73) with a low Free T4 (.71) could mean? Don't you generally have a high TSH when you have low T4 and vice versa? I have been searching the web and can't really find anything, except one site that said possibly adrenal problems, and I don't know what that means.

Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2007, 08:37 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Normal TSH, low T4, what does that mean?

Look into a condition known as "secondary hypothyroidism". Those kind of labs can happen when the pituitary gland isn't working properly.

The thyroid process works in a feedback 'loop'. The hypothalamus senses that there isn't enough circulating thyroid hormone, so it sends a signal to the pituitary to produce more TSH. The increased TSH signals the thyroid gland to step up its production of thyroid hormone.

In the abnormal situation of both low TSH and low thyroid hormone, it can be assumed that the pituitary isn't making enough TSH to properly signal the thyroid gland. When it gets the message from the hypothalamus, it doesn't respond by increasing TSH, so the thyroid never gets the message to work harder and produces too little hormone of its own.

Hope I explained that clearly enough.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:39 AM   #3
    Petra1979
    (female)

Petra1979 HB User
    Re: Normal TSH, low T4, what does that mean?

Thank you so much for your reply, I think I saw something on that in my search. It definitely makes sense!

Closed Thread