It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Help! The endo said graves, but I feel fine.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-07-2007, 01:29 PM   #1
    ShayxJay
    (female)

ShayxJay HB User
    Help! The endo said graves, but I feel fine.

I need some help in figuring out whats going on here. My allergist ran some blood tests after I was having unexplained hives. He then told me I had Hashimotos thyroiditis and sent me to my regular doctor, who sent me to endo. The endo did more blood work and a radioiodine uptake test with a thyroid scan as well. He called me with the results and told me that I have Graves disease. I was very surprised since I have no symptoms, and my blood work actually looks better. He told me that my levels were "fluctuating" into normal ranges but I am still hyperthyroid (the scans said so). I feel fine, but he still wants me to start taking Methimazole. Im not sure what to do. Should I take the Methimazole even with no symptoms? Do thyroid levels fluctuate in Graves disease? If I dont medicate now will this turn into a bigger problem later?

here are my labs...
    7-30-07- TSH .03 FT4 1.5 TPOab 1172
    8-24-07- TSH .21 FT4 .86 T3 89.
    any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
    Ozlady
    (female)

Ozlady HB User
    Re: Help! The endo said graves, but I feel fine.

Hi ShayxJay. Welcome to the board. Can't help a lot but could you post the ranges of those labs, that will allow someone to help you with them.

Graves disease can be dangerous if left untreated. I'm sure that one of the Hypers will come along and explain more.

Cheers
    Pam

Old 09-07-2007, 04:35 PM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Didn't they run your TSI and TRAb? These are the tests for Graves. TPOAb is one of the main tests for Hashimoto's not Graves. I am not saying that you do not have Graves, but you should get the TGAb, TSI, and TRAb tests run as well. If you are positive in TPOAb, TGAb.. then you have Hashi's and if TSI and TRAb are positive you have Graves.. the combination is known as Hashitoxicosis. You need to treat it.. but make sure you have all the information.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 09-07-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
    ShayxJay
    (female)

ShayxJay HB User

Thanks for the feedback and the welcome.
    I was never tested for TSI or TRab only TPOab. My regular doctor thought I had early Hashimotos too. I thought after seeing a drop in my T4 and a rise in my TSH that the endo would say the same. The endo seems convinced that its graves. I think ill ask the endo to test for TSI and TRab before I begin any medication. Thank you, Shay

Old 09-07-2007, 09:54 PM   #5
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

You may have Graves, but if you have Hashi's too. Then you most likely have hashitoxicosis where Hashi's will beat out Graves in the end.

SIncerely,
    MG

Old 09-08-2007, 05:09 AM   #6
    pursie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pursie HB User

it could be the beggining of graves or hashi i was hyper at the bgging of my hashis and i was boderline graves as my twin sister had it are you abit overweigth or underweight or normal also are you tired sometimes or thinking about it do you actually have ok energy love katxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 09-08-2007, 07:34 AM   #7
    ShayxJay
    (female)

ShayxJay HB User

Thank for all your comments!
    I have been looking all over the web for some help with this. About the weight comment, I was over weight and lost about 23 pounds over a two month period, thats when I was tested. But the weight didnt just fall off. I worked very hard to lose it, i counted calories and was working out. It was almost like a slap in the face when the doctor said I had an overactive thyroid. Here I thought all my hard work had something to do with it. Since all of this thyroid stuff has started I have given up my diet and excercise. I feel to stressed now, Im trying to focuse on my health and not worry about my weight. I am at a healthy weight now though (not skinny and not too big)as long as I dont gain to much back. Since stoping the diet I have gained 4 pounds back in about a month.
    As for my energy level, I am tired all the time but I thought that was just from having three kids. I am 26 years old and have a 2, 3 and 5 year old.

Its very intimidating for me to tell my endo that I dont want to take the med and to ask for further testing. He doesent seem to listen to me. I think I may call my PCP today and ask her to do the blood test for me.
    Thanks everyone, Shay

Last edited by ShayxJay; 09-08-2007 at 07:38 AM.

Closed Thread