It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• I was in denial with Hypo, but the symptoms keep piling up

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-07-2007, 02:42 PM   #1
    Neon1976
    (female)

Neon1976 HB User
    Unhappy I was in denial with Hypo, but the symptoms keep piling up

I recently went to the doctor ( I haven't been near a doctor's office since LAST YEAR ) because I had an allergic reaction to rubber on my shoes. The doctor wanted to discuss my weight and to my SHOCK and disbelief, I am at 235 pounds, and last year I was at 175 (I am 5'10 tall, so 170 is normal). I actually thought that I lost weight since last year since I am more active and have changed a few things in my diet. I haven't weighed myself in about a year because I just don't like the number.. heheh.. mainly because all of my friends weigh about 140 and below that.

I've been treated for hypo for three years, they have me on Levothroid .05 MG and the last time I was tested was back in November. I've neglected this issue because I owe Kaiser over 1,000 in lab result fees, etc. I couldn't afford to see the doctor anymore! Here were the last results:

TSH 4.8
    T4 FREE 0.8

The Dr. said it was normal, but my symptoms are insane. I have the following symptoms, some may or may not be related to thyroid:

Acne
    Oily skin with dry flaky patches
    Puffy eyes in the morning
    Snoring
    Puffy skin, you can poke me and your finger indention would stay there, especially on my legs and feet
    Panic / anxiety
    No menstruation and if I do, it lasts two weeks, heavy
    Depression
    Low Sex Drive
    Major weight gain
    Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
    Facial Hair growth on chin
    Dark skin under my arms
    Difficulty concentrating or remembering things
    I used to have pretty bad muscle pains until I started working out more, but I have really bad pain in the soles of my feet, Plantar Faci (Spelling on that?!)
    Insomnia

That's all I can think of for now. I am only 30 years old! I feel like I need to be in a wheelchair. I have no motivation for life and I had to cancel my wedding because of all of this. I read Mary Shomon's books again and have regained my motivation to start taking supplements again and see if that helps. I've had to re-learn a new profession ( I was a model-actress) because I just don't have the courage to be an entertainer anymore with the weight gain and other issues. My friends don't know me anymore, I never call them back or go out with them, they all think I hate them. My life is seriously doing down hill, I can't even take on a full-time job because I just don't feel like working anymore. My fiancee is about ready to give me the boot.

I've seen an Endo, all she did was give me a higher dosage of the medication, nothing more. I don't even want to be on a generic brand medication, but that's all my insurance will offer.

I would like to know more about the following:

Acupuncture
    Good Herbal Supplements

I know someone who no longer has thyroid issues because of Acupuncture. I am going to look into this and keep everyone posted.

Thanks for reading this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2007, 05:35 PM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: I was in denial with Hypo, but the symptoms keep piling up

Your results are not normal. The normal TSH range is 0.35 - 3.0 by the society of endocrinology standards. Optimum is between 1 and 2.

Your low FT4 and high TSH indicate hypothyroid as do your symptoms. I would consider looking into a new MD and uping your T3 and T4 intake even if you have to do it naturally. Also if you haven't been tested for Hashi's you should be.

Is there any way you can get into a free clinic and see about treatment or testing that way?

I wish I could be of more help.
    Sincerely,
    MG

Old 09-07-2007, 07:42 PM   #3
    Neon1976
    (female)

Neon1976 HB User

Wow.. yeah. Looks like a new Dr. is in order. The one lady I saw in the past at Kaiser told me my lvls were normal and she's an Endo. Sooo.. I understand what you are saying. I am going to keep shopping around til I find one!

Old 09-09-2007, 05:57 AM   #4
    squoog
    (female)

squoog HB User

Your symptoms are just as mine have been and along with hypothyroid I have just been found to have gone from insulin resistant to type 2 diabetes and also anaemic.
    Can you get a fasting blood test done to check your blood sugar .
    I am on metformin, which should help with the facial hair, heavy periods, appetite and fluid retention.
    Have a read of the diabetes board here also.
    I hope you get the help that you need.

Last edited by squoog; 09-09-2007 at 05:58 AM. Reason: sp

Old 09-09-2007, 12:56 PM   #5
    Barbara_Ann
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

It is possible to lose weight even though you are hypoT. The South Beach diet works. Your body has "no" choice but to burn it's own fat storage for energy on it.

It worked for me when everything else failed. It's not a weight lost diet. It is a life change. Check it out.

Since you are hypoT - you now have a slow metabolism and will need to assist your body to keep the weight off. You can do it.

Good luck!

Last edited by Barbara_Ann; 09-09-2007 at 01:00 PM.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #6
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Make sure your Doctor does a 2 hour Glucose and 2 hour insulin....... I thought my weight gain and symptoms were from my hypothyroidism but most of mine were from my Insulin resistance.......you many have a normal fasting insulin but have your Doctor check your 2 hour......... my fastings were normal but my 2 hours were really high......... I am feeling much better on the metformin and dropping weight off like mad. I can actually eat normal too.......like bread and some carbs without blowing up..... I also follow the South Beach diet and exercise every day.........I have not seen 160 in a long time........I hope to see 140 .......

The dark skin under your arms is a sign of Insulin resistance I believe.....I read it somewhere.......dark skin under arms and on neck........

hope you get better...........Oleander

Old 09-13-2007, 04:54 PM   #7
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neon1976 View Post
    Wow.. yeah. Looks like a new Dr. is in order. The one lady I saw in the past at Kaiser told me my lvls were normal and she's an Endo. Sooo.. I understand what you are saying. I am going to keep shopping around til I find one!

Hi Neon...

Yes, you are definitely in need of a dosage increase, that's for sure. So skip the accupuncture, [for now anyway], until you get your thyroid levels set in a good place. I too have Kaiser, and I went through the same thing with my endocrinologist... when my TSH hit 4.6, she said in the letter she sent me with the results, "Your thyroid looks fine now...return for testing again 9-12months from now". Yet I felt like death, and had zero energy, and tons of aches and pains. I got mad and felt like it was hopeless, and then started seeing an endo at our AF base hospital...who was pretty good, but I didn't like the way they did things over there. [act as if your results are a secret, don't have to give you your results, etc.... they are not governed by laws such as a civilian med. facility would be, they can do it any way they want to].

So, I went back to Kasier [after a 5 month break] and got a new GP, and I was so fed up with feeling like crap, and I really got angry..I thought, "I am NOT going to let a few people ruin my health because they don't know what "optimal" thyroid levels are!!" I told my GP just like this,...[while pointing my index finger at her]..."I want that TSH brought down to a 1, or at least brought down to where I feel good again, whatever that might be, and I mean it" She knew I meant business, and she allowed me to get there....but I still had problems, still felt lousy. So she let me go back to see the endo, [there's only 1 at our clinic], and I asserted myself with her as well...like I hadn't before, [but should have!]

I even asked her if I could please have some Cytomel, and she was totally cool about it and said yes, right off the bat. [shocked me!] We worked on getting my levels in a better place.... and even when my TSH came back at 1.8, I told her I still felt unwell, and asked for another increase and she still let me have one! My most recent test, my TSH went down to 0.3, [our range is 0.2-5.5], yet I have started to feel like it's a little too low for me at that level. She also checks my Free T levels, but I can tell she pretty much worships that TSH....but that seems to be okay with me...because how I feel seems to be when it's around a 1, or close to it. [at 0.9, I felt fine]...so my TSH usually coinsides with how I'm feeling....but I still want all of my levels checked.

So I spoke to her yesterday and told her I'd like to go back to taking 125 mcg's and she agreed. She's so cool now, I really love her. She trusts me and said that I seem to be pretty intune with my own body, and "you seem to be able to tell when your levels are off". She also said yesterday, "I know we're somewhere close to the right dose, C*****, so don't worry, we'll get there". I told her that I feel like I'm probably somewhere between the 2 doses, and she said, "yes, sometimes that's the case, and if so, we'll tweak your meds until we find that right spot" This was the same Dr. who told me my levels looked "perfect" at a TSH of 4.6 two years ago! So we do have to be our own advocates, and sometimes that means changing Dr's or trying a different approach, [like assertiveness], with the one's we're stuck with!

It seems like I just needed to speak up and be a little more assertive with her. Now my other girlfriend is seeing her too, [after being horribly undertreated for her hypo by her GP for 5 years..and my endo put her too on Cytomel, and now her TSH is the same as mine, [0.3], and she feels great.

I have another GF who goes to the Fairfield clinic, [my hair stylist], and she has been well treated over there. [they even gave her Armour over there, and that was THEIR idea!] I was on Armour at one point too, but I didn't have success with it...some do, some don't. So don't give up.... there are other med options...but first you need to get your TSH down [most likely to a 1, where most of us do feel best,..some people even a bit lower than that], and it probably would do you some good to get on some T-3 as well. My endo thinks Cytomel is a great med, but doesn't especially care for Armour, although she will use it. Please don't give up. And you know, being with Kaiser, you can change Dr's any time you want, or go to any other clinic as well. (I went up to SacTown to a clinic up there for help with another [very difficult] problem, that my clinic couldn't seem to figure out, and found an awesome Dr. up there who got that problem resolved and actually cured).

Best o' luck...
    Deda
    PS~ I have a real sensitivity/aversion to all types of smells now too, [chemicals], and rubber/vinyl, etc., is a big one. I went into the Nike shop recently and had to leave as it was making me sick! And one time a couple of years back, I went to get new tires on my car, [went to Les Schuab], and waited in there for 2 hours, and came out feeling dizzy and nauseaous..and later that night felt even sicker. Also those glade plug ins make sick,[coughing and my throat feels like it's closing] Pine Sol, car fumes, etc.

None of that ever bothered me before! I recently read that those of us with autoimmune diseases respond badly to chemicals, fumes, etc. What happened when you had that allergic reaction to your tennis shoes? OH...and the other day we had got a new mouse pad, ours was all worn out....and the vinyl on the back of the new one was making me so sick. (It took me a while to figure out it was that causing it!) I then wished that I hadn't thrown out the old one. So it's outside right now...I'm trying to see if I can de fume the thing.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:21 AM   #8
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Never thought of my sensitive nose being linked, but I can walk into some rooms and be triggered by something to gag. Perfume! BO, baby and animal doodles and projectiles.. My house is a perfume free environment. We go unscented in many regards. My husband gets annoyed because I can smell the slightest odor. If he opens a bag of M&M's in the other room I know it. I can often tell what he had to eat that day when he walks in the room. My husband is sure I am part blood hound.. but my personality is more like a chihuahua or terrior. Little body big attitude.

To help with the smell thing.. with new shoes and sheets and cloths and mouse pads and what ever.. if you have a low temp air fluff on the dryer and a dryer sheet softner you can use.. use it on the new shoes, mouse pad, purses, etc. I do.

My four year old.. excuse me almost five year old "got the mental image of wounded pride from my son".. loves throwing stuff that clunks and bangs in the dryer for me. Better than a cartoon to listen to the racket and watch it knock around. I am hoping he doesn't get teh idea to toss the cat in one day, she is to passive and would let him do it. For clothes and sheets and the like I wash then dry ASAP. I also do the carpet and upholstery cleaning for allergens with a non-scented allergen reducer and baking soda/H2O2 wash biweekly. DIE DUSTMITES and odors.

Good luck with getting the new doctor and medications set right for you!
    Sincerely,
    MG

Old 09-14-2007, 11:33 AM   #9
    vamomma
    (female)

vamomma HB User

Get your adrenal function checked as well. The systems are all connected and adrenal problems can result in some of the same symptoms you are describing.
    Alison

Old 09-14-2007, 11:55 AM   #10
    iona_23
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

iona_23 HB User

i just wanted to send some HUGS out to u. these nasty symptoms is no walk in the park. i'm "within normal range" and i don't feel too well myself. everyone has different symptoms and if u already know that ur levels are off just by your latest lab results, u do need to find a doctor that can help you. i know that insurance is another problem because you have to find one that covers u. and that's just another problem on top of that. just wanted to say that you are in my prayers. everyone on this thread is in my prayers and also that we find a way to find doctors who can treat us properly.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:30 PM   #11
    Neon1976
    (female)

Neon1976 HB User

Thank you so much, guys.. I am crying !

I looked back at some old results from last December's tests. My father passed away in March, so I haven't really been back to that same hospital for a while to get tested.. and I didn't really feel like doing much, so my testing is far behind. I am still awaiting the results from last week's test!

12/22/2006 17 OH-PROGESTERONE 38
    12/22/2006 ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE 90 Standard: 37-117 U/L
    12/22/2006 CALCIUM, SERUM 9.7 Standard: 8.5-10.3 mg/dL
    12/22/2006 LIPID PANEL =
    CHOLESTEROL 151 Standard: <239- mg/dL
    TRIGLYCERIDE 153 Standard: <199- mg/dL
    HDL 40 Standard: >45- mg/dL This is Low
    LDL CALCULATED 80 Standard: <129- mg/dL
    12/22/2006 CREATININE, SERUM 0.82 Standard:<1.20- mg/dL
    12/22/2006 GLUCOSE, FASTING 85 Standard: 60-99 mg/dL
    12/22/2006 PROLACTIN 10 Standard: 3-30 ng/mL
    12/22/2006 DHEA-S 195 Standard: <430- ug/dL
    12/22/2006 ALT (ALANINE AMINOTRANSFERASE), SERUM 82 Standard: <36- U/L
    She also said this was high.
    12/22/2006 TESTOSTERONE, TOTAL 106 Standard: 20-75 ng/dL
    She said this was high and that it was due to my PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome)

So, I will have to make another appointment and see what happens. I can't afford these tests!! I will see if I can find a clinic around here.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:17 AM   #12
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    Never thought of my sensitive nose being linked, but I can walk into some rooms and be triggered by something to gag. Perfume! BO, baby and animal doodles and projectiles.. My house is a perfume free environment. We go unscented in many regards. My husband gets annoyed because I can smell the slightest odor. If he opens a bag of M&M's in the other room I know it. I can often tell what he had to eat that day when he walks in the room. My husband is sure I am part blood hound.. but my personality is more like a chihuahua or terrior. Little body big attitude.
    MG

Oh MG!!,..... that 1st paragragh up there really had me LOL...you are funny, girl!! (IE; Little body, big attitude..that was good!) LOL Thanks for the laugh!

Anyway...know what you mean about hubby getting annoyed. We can go into some stores and I go, "oh no....what's that smell!!??"...and then he rolls his eyes and shakes his head...like, "here we go again"...I swear, sometimes I really think that he thinks I'm nuts, or making all of this up, but I'm not!! [glad to hear you say that yours get annoyed too..now I won't let that tick me off]

I've seen this come up on another thyroid board, in which I brought it up,
    [two woman had posted that they had lost her sense of smell..so I guess that can happen too], but I brought up this smell problem, and quite a few women replied, and what was weird was that some of them had the exact same aversions to some of the same odors/scents as me...weird! Like drains,...every now and then while I'm brushing my teeth, I can smell this horrible drain smell...strong too! I've had him check it, and another time a girlfriend too, and they both couldn't smell it. (That one comes and goes, and not too often, thankfully...other ones are frequent]

It's like I have this bionic sense of smell, or something. A couple of years ago, it was dryer sheets,..and when we would take walks at night...oh boy..we would pass homes and I would know which ones had clothes in the dryer...with Bounce sheets or what ever....overwhelming...like the smell was magnified 100 times! Never bothered me before! Ever! The smell was over powering, to the point I'd cup my hand and cover my nose and mouth, and feel like I was going to lose it!!

Another is laundry detergent, and one night we were at Safeway, and I had to walk down that aisle and oh my gosh!!! I had to grab it and run out of there...I felt sick again....not really like I was going to barf or anything, but as if I didn't get out of there, the smell was going to kill me!! It smells SO strong, I can't hardly stand it!

Another time I was at a casino with my dad, and it was Monday night football night, and they were cooking bratwurst and other stuff, and it smelled like a lot of meat cooking and strong spices, and boooooof....I was so sick...it was horrible!! Funny, because I would've loved that smell before...I used to love the smell of meat cooking with spices. Anyway, it went on for hours, long after their Monday night game night ended, and my dad even laughed at me,...I know he thought I was nutty too! I finally left to go back to my room. My aversion to dryer sheets has improved tho,...but a lot of other one's remain.

My best girlfriend who also has Hashi's and she is also hypo,... and I found out she has a strong aversion to different smells too. She said that she cannot stand to smell anything cooking with onions in it!

Sometimes when I'm in stores looking at clothes, I can smell a strong odor of the dyes, and also my eyes start burning. (I wonder if it would help to take an antihistimine?) So there's quite a few smells that are bothering me, and I sure wish this would clear up and go away, but it's been a long time now, [since '03, and it seems like it's only gotton worse....more smells are bothering me].

Luckily, I can still wear my perfume, cause I love to wear my perfume....maybe it's because I've worn the same one for years [Tommy Girl], which is kinda light...but one day I was in an elevator with an elderly woman, and her perfume almost knocked me out...I didn't want to gag in there with her in there with me. My husband works nights and comes home and showers and puts his stick deodorant on after, [Old Spice], and I used to LOVE the smell of that stuff,...but after he got in bed, and it was about to gag me....so I asked him to go and wash it off! It was bad! (Is this why he gets annoyed?) So now he doesn't put it on...and when he wear cologne, [which I ALWAYS loved before), I ask him to put just a tiny dab of it on...I can't take it.

MG...it seems like we really do have a bionic sense of smell! I laughed too when you said your hubby can be in a different room and you can tell that he opened a bag of M&M's! LOL Sounds funny I bet to a lot of people, but I know what you're saying!! When this all started, [4 yrs now] I was sitting here at my computer, and it was the middle of summer and all of a sudden I smelled smoke...REAL STRONG too! I panicked and ran through my house, as I was afraid there was a fire somewhere in here, for sure. It's terrible in the winter when everyone's running their fireplaces...I can smell them so bad, inside the house!! And forget taking walks in the winter...I can't stand it, [but love to walk]. It ticks me off and I sure wish this would go away,...but I don't know...after 4 years!? Tell me, MG, did your problem start AFTER you got your thyroid problem?

I did read of a disorder that causes an inflammation of the olfactory nerve [in the nose] and that it effects our sense of smell...and I thought, that is probably what I have, since having hypo does cause inflammation problems. Also read that being low in zinc could cause smell disorders, but I have taken it for years now, [after reading that], to no avail. :::sigh:::

And I also hate taking walks and when a truck goes by that's a diesel...Oh MY GOSH....diesel makes me so sick...but even reg. car fumes bother me, just not as badly as diesel!

I have also seen this come up on other boards of other autoimmune diseases, so just wonder if it's an autoimmune symptom?

Sure sucks, huh? But always good to hear that someone else gets the same, and just to vent with you! Thank you for replying on this. Also thank you for the tips..on the dryer...I never thought of using that, but will surely try that now. I did think that placing things in the sun/heat would help de-fume them. Like whenever I buy a new shower curtain liner, I hang it out back on my clothesline, and air it out all day....I bet those fumes they give off aren't good for us anyway....too many chemicals in our society today...just TOO MANY!!!

Glad I can still enjoy the smell of coffee...I love it, and go to coffee shops with my GF's just to hang out and visit, a couple of nights a week. When I was PG with my second child, [the last], I would get sick over the smell of coffee...and I didn't drink it back then. [you know PG woman have smell problems too,..but not this badly] The smell of Pine Sol really sickens me now as well....and I used to love the smell of it and used it all over my home!!

Take care, MG...
    Deda
    PS~ Cute story about your 4 yr old and the dryer...funny too.

Last edited by Deda; 09-15-2007 at 04:26 AM.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:57 AM   #13
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neon1976 View Post
    Thank you so much, guys.. I am crying !

CHOLESTEROL 151 Standard: <239- mg/dL
    TRIGLYCERIDE 153 Standard: <199- mg/dL
    HDL 40 Standard: >45- mg/dL This is Low
    LDL CALCULATED 80 Standard: <129- mg/dL
    So, I will have to make another appointment and see what happens. I can't afford these tests!! I will see if I can find a clinic around here.
    Hey Neon...

Doesn't San Jo have 2 Kaiser hospitals? One of my good friends over here is from there, and I thought she just mentioned that a few weeks ago? So maybe you could go to the other hospital? I'm so sorry about the loss of your dear dad...I just lost my daddy last year myself, and even though I was 51, I was still a daddy's girl, and I know how bad it hurts to lose our parents. (I had already lost my mother 25 yrs ago)

It was a hard year after I lost him, [last May 15], but I joined a grief support group, and of course it was all women, [this was at Kaiser's also]...and that class lasted 6 weeks, and we always went out to dinner after our class, and that class ended last June, and we have still met every Monday night [for dinner] ever since. I don't know how I would've made it through this year without this great group of women, and now we are all close friends. I just didn't get any emotional support from my hubby, I guess because he just doesn't know how to give it. [?] My brother and I just went on a trip to the mountains a few weeks ago to spread his ashes...and that really brought me a lot of relief...if not closure..I'm feeling so much better....and you will too.

Take good care of yourself....grief is tough on your immune system...or can be. Eat well, sleep well, get a little exercise, and don't hold in your feelings, talk to others about it, and try some relaxation techniques. I bought some great CD's for that. (Also Kaiser gives some great classes for stress and teaching relaxation)

I was looking over your test results, and was surprised to see that your cholesterol results are so much like my own. I just had mine checked, [it had been 4 yrs since I was last checked], and they had gone up a little, but are still well below the top of the range. (I started eating more eggs, for the protein, [because my hair was falling out so bad for years], and I have continued eating them, for the protein, which we need so crucially)

Also I have gained about 10 lbs since I got the hypo, (didn't gain any weight before the hypo, so I think it was from when I quit smoking...well, part hypo, partly quitting smoking [4 years now], and part menopause too, I'm sure) One thing I noticed, Neon, was that your GOOD cholesterol was on the low side just like mine. I thought that mine would've gone UP from 3 yrs ago, as I quit smoking, [and I read that will raise it up] and I exercise [a little more now]....and I try to eat my good fats...avocados, olive oil etc., but think, perhaps I'm not getting enough...maybe.

I'm going to follow up and see my doc, to try to figure out how to raise that up....maybe it doesn't really matter, since my other cholesterol levels were low?? HUH? Don't know...think I may go post that on the cholesterol boards, as I am so curious. I eat real well, but I do eat very little fats, hardly ever have red meat....I eat fish...which would have the omega 3 oils, I think...and I do take good fish oil, and Evening Primrose Oil and garlic oil pills...[plus a lot of other supplements too] It just bugs me....I want my good cholesterol at least in the range, ya know?

Don't worry too much about your other levels being off a bit, unless they continue to stay that way. I had some other "off" lab results that went back to normal, once my thy levels hit decent places. [I had micro blood in my urine, and low BUN results, for a couple of years..at least, and now they are fine)

Please let us know how your tests turn out...and good luck hun.
    Deda

Old 09-15-2007, 06:14 PM   #14
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda,

In response to your queries. I have always had a very acute sense of smell.. all the women in my family have. We also all have allergies and sensitive skin and all sorts of stuff. We are not delicate, our immune systems are always in over drive. Colds and flus and stuff.. not going to happen. We get the sinus and ear funk do to retained fluids due to allergies. It turns out my mother and three of her four sisters have AI's.. so this could be a thyroid thing. We also have very good hearing as well. Our eyes tend to go on us after we get pregnant or hit 30. Humm... until I started researching TED I didn't make the connection.

Our allergies are almost mirrors of one another with some odd ones thrown in.
    Mushrooms, strawberries, wheat, various nuts, all but roma tomatoes, coconut, seafood (shrimp = iodine), cobalt, nickle, we can only use "all clear" unscented for clothes.. environment: dust/dustmites, smoke, pollution(exhaust), honeysuckle, mimosa, ragweed, trees, grasses.. Sucks huh.

So we do the allergy walk, shots and meds. It does help. I also keep a kerchief that I can dampen and hold over my mouth and nose in bad areas.

I have also seen this come up on other boards of other autoimmune diseases, so just wonder if it's an autoimmune symptom?

Sure sucks, huh? But always good to hear that someone else gets the same, and just to vent with you! Thank you for replying on this. Also thank you for the tips..on the dryer...I never thought of using that, but will surely try that now. I did think that placing things in the sun/heat would help de-fume them. Like whenever I buy a new shower curtain liner, I hang it out back on my clothesline, and air it out all day....I bet those fumes they give off aren't good for us anyway....too many chemicals in our society today...just TOO MANY!!!

Glad I can still enjoy the smell of coffee...I love it, and go to coffee shops with my GF's just to hang out and visit, a couple of nights a week. When I was PG with my second child, [the last], I would get sick over the smell of coffee...and I didn't drink it back then. [you know PG woman have smell problems too,..but not this badly] The smell of Pine Sol really sickens me now as well....and I used to love the smell of it and used it all over my home!!

My sensitivity to odors.. amplified something fierce during my pregnancy and never went back. I didn't have to get near my son to know he was dirty. I could smell it from across the house some times. When I was pregnant.. chicken, chocolate, onions, tomatoes.. grease.. couldn't touch it... couldn't be in the room with it. I had morning noon and night sickness my whole pregnancy. I remember being three months and going to my in-laws to a small party in our "FIRST grand baby" honor, I walk in to a barbaque.. sliced onions.. grilled chicken the works, waved clapped a hond over my mouth went straight to the rest room and stayed there. I lost 17 my first month and thought pregnancy was one heck of a diet. I was only able to eat raw veggies, red meat and potatoes. Think it was an iron and protien need thing. It was also during my pregnancy the my thyroid started to kick my behind. Though my OB never did one single TSH test even with my mother's thyroidectomy known and documented over and over in our conversations. Great lady, huh?

I think it could be linked to the thyroid.. it would be an interesting study that some porr MD/Ph.D could do. I would be interested in the results. It makes sense if something can kill your sense of smell then if the opposite reaction occurs it could heighten it as well.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 09-30-2007, 11:10 PM   #15
    Neon1976
    (female)

Neon1976 HB User

Hi guys, I hope this is good news!

I actually had to call my doctor to see if my lab test results came back (this is Kaiser, and there's only one in San Jose) and the receptionist told me she wasn't going to give me my results over the phone, so my doctor would have to call me back. So, the doctor called back and just said, "Hi, your thyroid levels are high, so I've changed your dosage from. .050 to .075 and you can get that at the pharmacy." OKAY!?!?!?! BUT, WHAT ARE THE LEVELS!? God.. I can't believe these people. I never got the test results. Anyway, so now I am on Levothroid .075 and have been on it 15 days and feel no difference.. how long does it take to kick in? I wish it would hurry!!!

Closed Thread