It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• multi nodular goiter? suppressed tsh?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-08-2007, 06:39 AM   #1
    rubato
    Veteran
    (female)

rubato HB User
    multi nodular goiter? suppressed tsh?

I have Hashis and have been on .100 levo for about a year now. My throat was starting to feel tight and it was becoming hard to swallow. So, when I went to see my endo for my 6 month checkup, he felt my thyroid and ordered an ultrasound. I just got a call back from his nurse and she said that I had a multi nodular goiter and the doc didn't think I needed a biopsy and just to come back in 6 months with my new lab results. My question is:
    What does this mean? Also, he said my tsh was suppressed and wanted to lower my dosage to .88. I can't remember what my levels were, sorry. The problem I have with this is that I finally feel really darned good. What does a suppressed tsh do to the thyroid? He's always been a really fabulous doctor who takes me seriously. Any advice? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2007, 08:01 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: multi nodular goiter? suppressed tsh?

My own TSH has been suppressed to .01-.03 for over 3 years. My smart MD knows that isn't a problem to the thyroid whatever. The free T hormones are the ones that count; so if you're feeling good, your free hormones are probably right where they should be on your current dose. Do whatever you have to do to keep him from lowering that dose.

You have a right by law to your test results. Get a copy of them and see where your T4/T3 were the last time they were checked - if your MD knows enough to be checking them, that is. If he isn't checking them, and if he refuses to allow you to keep taking 100 mcgs after your best argument to the contrary, you could find a better doctor.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:19 AM   #3
    rubato
    Veteran
    (female)

rubato HB User

I looked at the results in his office. The T4 was good. He didn't test for T3. I told him that when I come back in 6 months, I want T3 tested as well. So, he did order that for my next lab. I'm going to see how long I can refill the dosage I'm on now. If I can't, I'll call and talk to him. I haven't had any problems with him listening to me before, just wondered if I'm okay having the suppressed tsh. You answered that one for me. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by rubato; 09-08-2007 at 10:20 AM.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:47 AM   #4
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I also had pressure in my throat and found I had a multinodular goiter....I had several nodules some solid some cystic and some mixed component.......
    I will try and keep this short.............4 Doctors + and 15 months later......I still have my thyroid and the supression has worked for me......My TSH is way low, I feel okay and my thyroid is small now.....nodules still there but unchanged.......I am glad I did not go through with the TT as 2 of the Doctors recommended.......I have had blood Cancer level tests so I feel comfortable with not having a FNA or surgery..........it is a scary rough road making these decisions.......nothing is clear cut.

I was followed by US every 3 to 6 months, now once a year with bloodwork every 6 months.......I am on 2 1/2 Grains of Armour daily........ no side effects at all.........and no more pressure in my throat.

Good luck....... Oleander

Closed Thread