It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thyroidectomy -RAI treatment or surgery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-09-2007, 09:06 PM   #1
    Dumossa
    (female)

Dumossa HB User
    Thyroidectomy -RAI treatment or surgery?

Hi there,
    I will be seeing an endocologist early next month in regards to having the rai treatment for my thyroid. My problem at the moment is, one of unsureness, I have told my doctor I want the rai BUT,the longer I wait the more I doubt!
    I would be interested in anyone who has had either surgery or the rai treatment and why they chose what they did, how did they feel afterwards, were you happy with the treatment you chose.
    Oh, incidentally, I have done a lot of research, but would like some opinions from real people not the text books.

Thanks, all replies will be very, very welcome.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2007, 05:17 AM   #2
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
    Re: Thyroidectomy -RAI treatment or surgery?

I have had both surgery AND RAI due to thyroid cancer. My situation is not like yours as I assume you have overactive thyroid?

Anyway, the dose they give you for overactive thyroid is very low--usually 29.9 mci. I have had that dose before and had very little side effects. Since you have overactive thyroid, you will probably get a fairly sore neck after the treatment but I understand that it is helped easily with Ibuprofen.

Thyroid surgery can be rough. You also carry the risk of damaging vocal chords and you can get significant scar tissue under the neck. Most thyroid surgeries goes will, but I wouldn't do it. You also risk damaging you parathyroids which can leave you with calcium issues the rest of your life. I know that these odds are rare, but I am alway surprised by the number of people who DO have these problems on my thyroid cancer listserv.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:20 AM   #3
    NikkiNak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NikkiNak HB User

Hello-

If you have hyperthyroidism you should give the anti thyroid meds a chance first before anything permanent is decided.

RAI for hyperthyroidism is dangerous. 80-90% of hyperthyroidism is caused by Graves Disease. RAI stimulates the anti-body that produces Graves Disease and can excaserbate the eye disease or make it begin. Regardless of the size dose of RAI surgery is safer in this case.

Nikki

Old 09-14-2007, 12:28 PM   #4
    SouthChic
    (female)

SouthChic HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dumossa View Post
    Hi there,
    I will be seeing an endocologist early next month in regards to having the rai treatment for my thyroid. My problem at the moment is, one of unsureness, I have told my doctor I want the rai BUT,the longer I wait the more I doubt!
    I would be interested in anyone who has had either surgery or the rai treatment and why they chose what they did, how did they feel afterwards, were you happy with the treatment you chose.
    Oh, incidentally, I have done a lot of research, but would like some opinions from real people not the text books.

Thanks, all replies will be very, very welcome.
    I am not a doctor but I have been extensively researching RAI & Graves Disease for the last 3 months since I was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism in May and then Graves Disease in August. My doctor pushed for RAI and said I really had no other options. That's why I began researching.

I have learned that RAI is the worst thing you can do. Graves Disease/Hyperthyroidism is an auto-immune disease where the immune system turns against your body and attacks the body - in this case, the thyroid. So the problem is the immune system, not the thyroid. By having surgery or RAI, the thyroid is removed or killed, and the problem with the immune system is still there. What would doctors do if the immune system then decided to attack the heart?

Graves disease will often run its course if given time. That doesn't mean it should be ignored, because it is serious. When you have an overactive thyroid, it overworks your organs (heart & liver mainly), and can lead to more serious problems if the heart palpitations aren't under control.

I have also read a lot about alternative treatments for Graves Disease, such as herbal supplementation. My Endocrinolgist was very against this, claiming that RAI was the only way to go and that he could assure me herbal supplementation would not work. However, I have been using several herbal supplements and have started taking vitamins recommended for overactive thyroid (B1, B2, B3, B5, PABA, Silicon, Silica, Boron, Copper, Milk Thistle, etc..) and my symptoms have improved dramatically.

I have read that taking anthyroidal drugs (PTU or Tapazole), along with herbal supplementation can lead to remission, in as early as 6 months. So this is the route I am taking.

I purchased the book Living Well with Graves' Disease and Hyperthyroidism: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You...That You Need to Know", by Mary Shomon, and it is VERY informative. It's something every person with Hyperthyroidism should read.

Last edited by SouthChic; 09-14-2007 at 12:30 PM.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:49 PM   #5
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

Yes, if your doc is still pushing for RAI...find another one!!! Yes thyroid meds can lead to a remission. They're the only thing that diminishes the antibodies. I don't think the thyroid antibodies would attack your heart, but the skin and eyes YES!!! If you have any eye involvement, RAI will make it worse. I've been on this board and others awhile now and have heard no good reports of RAI only bad..people having terrible symptoms for YEARS. Why on earth would anyone choose that, unless they had cancer? The vitamins will help a lot but not put you in remission, you need the atd's for that, and to protect your organs from damage.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:58 AM   #6
    korunner
    (male)

korunner HB User

I would avoid the RAI at all costs and give the meds a chance to work. Like many others my endo has pushed RAI. My personal opinion is that's the easy route for them but not necessarily for the patient. My hyper is due to Graves and I don't wish to increase my chance of the eye disease(of which I have none now). I'm trying the meds and healthy lifestyle changes and see how that works. Good luck if you go with the RAI and let us know how it goes

Keith

Old 09-15-2007, 10:49 PM   #7
    Dumossa
    (female)

Dumossa HB User

Thanks for your replies, sorry I haven't been on here for a couple of days, but my thyroid did a spiral dive. Now instead of being hyper ( like off the planet hyper),I am now hypo, very low enough to put me flat on my back for two days, groan.
    Anyway, I have been reading and taking in all your advice, and luckily I still have time up my sleeve to make a decision before I see the endo as he is off with the flu.
    I do have the eye problem, so I'll definitely take a list of questions with me, and put him through question time. LOL.
    Again, thanks and I will keep checking back on my good days, which seem to be every other day!!!!!!!

Old 09-27-2007, 07:59 AM   #8
    lindaleee
    (female)

lindaleee HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Thyroidectomy -RAI treatment or surgery?

Hi,

I have had both. A total thyroidectomy July 06' (cancer 1st stage) followed by one RAI treatment. My endo told me to have the RAI treatment would get rid of any cancerous residue left behind, and it would be easier to detect in blood work if it were to come back again.
    I'm on levoxyl now and everythings been great. They started me at 0.150mg and now at 0.112mg as my t3 t4 were alittle high. I think my endo is fabulous! Cambridge Alliance Hospital Mass.

Best of luck to you!

Old 09-27-2007, 08:15 AM   #9
    lindaleee
    (female)

lindaleee HB User

also... has anyone gained weight after a thyroidectomy? I gained 20 lbs. in 6 mons. ugh! help!!

Closed Thread