It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Got the Lab Ranges...please help me understand

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-10-2007, 11:30 AM   #1
    Petra1979
    (female)

Petra1979 HB User
    Got the Lab Ranges...please help me understand

Ok, so I posted my TSH and Free T4 and people were saying that they couldn't help without the lab ranges, so here they are:

TSH - .73 (.4-4.5)
    Free T4 - .71 (.6-1.6)

I am so confused because everywhere I am reading says that normal Free T4 should be .8-2.0, which would make my free T4 low, but my lab says the normal is .6-1.6. Isn't there a standard in the medical field for how much you should have? Why would it matter what the lab considers "normal" if the test is the same for everyone?

So what do you think? Is the Free t4 low or not?

Thanks so much, you guys have been so helpful and I know I am asking so many questions!

-Petra

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2007, 12:07 PM   #2
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User
    Re: Got the Lab Ranges...please help me understand

Somehow it is relative to how they do the test.

But I do think your Free t4 is low. It is below the middle of the range.

2 things that can make a TSH lower (and make a diagnosis of hypothyroid harder) are ...smoking cigarettes (on the day of the test) and having the blood drawn late in the day (the TSH is said to be higher in the morning, but of course your TSH was low).

I guess they did not test your Free T3. I would try to get that tested.

Are you on thyroid meds? If not, it may be better for you to try some things to help your thyroid work better & give them a try...

Iodine, do you use salt that contains iodine? Your thyroid needs iodine.

B vitamins- take extra B vitamins.

Selenium- a mineral, take a multivitamen with 100% of the RDA of selenium.

Ferritin- have that tested. Low ferritin will work against you.
    I hope this helps.

: )

Old 09-10-2007, 12:21 PM   #3
    Petra1979
    (female)

Petra1979 HB User

Thank you for your reply...so the way they do the test varies from lab to lab? Does that mean that my result of .71 could actually be equal to someone else's .81 or something like that? Can they confuse us any more, lol? I had the blood drawn in the middle of the day and I do not smoke, so I don't think that has any effect, but I am just trying to figure out why most resources say that .8 is the lowest you should have while my lab says .6 is. It seems to me to avoid confusion and help diagnosis, there should be a standard way the test is done and a range that is the same for every lab.

Ugh, I am so frustrated and I just began the process here!

Thank you again!

Old 09-10-2007, 01:30 PM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Ok, so I posted my TSH and Free T4 and people were saying that they couldn't help without the lab ranges, so here they are:
    TSH - .73 (.4-4.5)
    Free T4 - .71 (.6-1.6)

First the newest accepted range for normal TSH is 0.35 - 3.0 with optimal being between 1-2 (1.5-1.7 for most people).. so yes your TSH is low.

Given the range of .6-1.6 the optimal range would be high-middle and thus somewhere in the 1 - 1.4 for your laboratory. Each laboratory has different machine sensitivites and calibration requirements thus altering the range. So you are low here as well in my opinion.

Low TSH normally indicates a hyperactive thyroid tendancy. Your pituitary gland is saying slow down I have enough.. but the actual level of FT4 present is low as well. This has got me curious.

I am so confused because everywhere I am reading says that normal Free T4 should be .8-2.0, which would make my free T4 low, but my lab says the normal is .6-1.6. Isn't there a standard in the medical field for how much you should have? Why would it matter what the lab considers "normal" if the test is the same for everyone?

The main two things that jump out with a low TSH and low T4 are Secondary Hypothyroidism and ubclinical hyperthyroidism (SCH). Currently clinical recommendations for these conditions are treatment ASAP as a preventative measure. I wonder how many MD's are keeping up with there current clinical recommendations for thyroid treatments.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 09-10-2007, 01:43 PM   #5
    Petra1979
    (female)

Petra1979 HB User

Thanks, yes, I wondered about the fact that both the TSH and T4 were low, which is unusual, usually one is high and the other is low. All my symptoms point to hypothyroidism, and through my research I have found that when the TSH is low with low T4, you are right, it is either secondary hypoT or pituitary dysfunction because the pituitary is not signalling the TSH to increase to produce enough T4.

So do you think my endo. will recognize this right away or might I have to fight for more tests and treatment?

Thanks again!

Old 09-10-2007, 03:05 PM   #6
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User

I would want to know what my Free T3 is too! That is probably equally low! The free T's are the measurement of the actual thyroid hormones! TSH is a pitutary hormone! Secondary hypothyroid sounds logical to me.

Next time you have blood drawn, try to have it done as early as possible (some people say it makes a difference & it tends to be higher in the morning and get lower there after.)

Best wishes.
    : )

Old 09-10-2007, 03:12 PM   #7
    Petra1979
    (female)

Petra1979 HB User

Thank you! I agree! I am seeing the endo. on Thursday and will be requesting a FULL blood panel, including all the thyroid hormones, as well as antibodies. Anything else I should ask for????

Old 09-10-2007, 03:38 PM   #8
    Petra1979
    (female)

Petra1979 HB User

Also, does anyone know the answer to this question: When you have secondary HypoT, does that always mean that you have a tumor on your pituitary? That seems to be what I am finding in the information I am coming across. Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to Petra1979 For This Useful Post:
    Vermonthawaii (10-08-2012)
    Closed Thread