It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• lab results and weight loss

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-11-2007, 08:32 AM   #1
    jeanettr
    (female)

jeanettr HB User
    lab results and weight loss

I have been having a very hard time losing weight. Even on merida no weight loss.

these are my lab results could they be the reason at all? I going to the doctor Friday to get refill of merida should I question?

TSH 2.179 Range (.350 - 5.500)

T4 13.1 (4.5 - 12.00)

T3 20 (24 - 39)

Free thyroxine index 2.6 (1.2 - 4.9)
    Don't know if it makes a differance but Serum Iron is 200 range 35 - 155

I am eating 1300 - 1400 cals a day exercising 5 days a week.

any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited by jeanettr; 09-11-2007 at 08:36 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2007, 09:31 AM   #2
    lorakin
    (female)

lorakin HB User
    Re: lab results and weight loss

You don't seem to be converting to t3...your total t3 is low and out of range and your free t3 will be even lower. Have you had your ferritin checked? Low iron will disrupt conversion. Low t3 will keep you from losing weight...you are on a t4 only med I take it?

Old 09-11-2007, 10:23 AM   #3
    jeanettr
    (female)

jeanettr HB User

I am not on any meds for T4. The doctor that ordered the blood work didn't mention anything was wrong with my blood work. Only comment come back in a year.

I went to GP to get help with high cholesterol and weight. He gave me the Meridia. He saw a copy of the blood work results and didn't say anything either.

I haven't had ferritin checked. I will see if they checked it for the blood work after my Hysterectomy

thanks

Old 09-11-2007, 01:49 PM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Before I answer, tell me whether you take the Pill or any other form of estrogen, or are pregnant.

You appear to be hypothyroid and should be taking thyroid hormone instead of an iffy cure for weight loss.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:44 AM   #5
    jeanettr
    (female)

jeanettr HB User

I take a hormone replacement permin. Looking back on previous bloodwork reports before taking it, the results were about the same.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:59 AM   #6
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

If you're taking estrogen (or are pregnant), your doctor should know enough not to be testing your total T4, but your free T4 instead. The estrogen increases binding proteins, making it appear your T4 is higher than it really is. That's why your FT4 index is low while your T4 looks adequate. Your total T3 is - shockingly - below range! That's the very likely reason you can't lose weight.

You're definitely hypothyroid and would stand to benefit from treatment. And you need both free hormones (T4/T3) measured to see where you really stand.

I hope you can convince this doctor to prescribe thyroid hormone for you instead of that cash cow meridia. If you can't, find a better one.

Last edited by midwest1; 09-12-2007 at 07:00 AM.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:02 AM   #7
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

First:
    TSH 2.179 Range (.350 - 5.500) the range here should be (.35-3) and debating is going one to refine it further since they changed it back in 2002. Endo's are discussing a new normal range of (.35-2.5) as being normal. The optimal TSH range is between 1-2. Studies on hundreds of fully functioning healthy thyroid individuals with optimal metabolisms show TSH's averaging 0.66! That little jewel got me thinking.
    TSH 2.179 [I would say is heading hypothyroid as your symptoms
    indicate]
    T4 13.1 H (4.5 - 12.00) [This is High and should have been marked so..]
    T3 20 L (24 - 39) [This is low and should have been marked so]
    F thyroxine I 2.6 (1.2 - 4.9) [optimal is above 3 for this range so you are low here].
    Serum Iron is 200 H (35 - 155) [well you are not anemic]

Now let us look into your hormone replace medication.. are you taking any other medications? Some medications have adverse interactions when combined.

I am getting no hits on permin in my pharmacological database. Is that a valid spelling? What is the label in the bottle say exactly?

Even with out the drug facts you may want your OB to refer you to an endocrinologist.. the blood work is not normal. Something is going on and causing you to exhibit the hypothyroid weight gain symptoms.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 09-12-2007, 08:18 AM   #8
    jeanettr
    (female)

jeanettr HB User

The drug is Premarin. The OB I am seeing didn't go over my blood work with me at all. Just said she would see me in a year and repeat bloodwork in 6months for high cholesterol. When I questioned the fact I couldn't lose weight I was told try low fat. That's when I went to a GP to get help to lose weight. He didn't say anything about hypothyroid. I have been going to bed hungry at night and exercising each day. I have even been considering weight loss surgery because I keep being told "try harder to lose"

Jeanett

Old 09-12-2007, 09:03 AM   #9
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Let me look into the Premarin..

But midwest is spot on I believe. Given your symptoms and the T3 you are hypothyroid and need treament for it.

Are you taking it as a vaginal cream or oral tablets. We will go with tablets.. it is the main recommended HRT method. Cream is for on site symptom treatment.
    Premarin is not listed as a source of weight gain that is all thyroid. You have to love when the MD's blow something off versus looking for the source of the problem. The symptoms to worry over from the premarin are commonly:
    Breast pain or tenderness; gas; headache; hair loss; mild nausea or vomiting; spotting or breakthrough bleeding; stomach cramps or bloating.
    The serious symptoms showing your body is intolerant of the Premarin are::
    Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); abnormal bleeding from the vagina; breast lumps; calf pain, swelling, or tenderness; changes in vision or speech; chest pain; dizziness; fainting; mental or mood changes; pain in the calves; pain or tenderness in the upper abdomen; severe headache; slurred speech; sudden shortness of breath; swelling of the hands or feet; unusual vaginal discharge/itching/odor; vision changes; vomiting; weakness or numbness of an arm or leg; yellowing of the skin or eyes.

No weight gain. You are doing all you can it is your metabolism.. thus thyroid that is failing you. See if you can get your GP to pull a comprehensive thyroid panel on you.

TSH, FT3, FT4, T3 Uptake, TPOAb, TGAb, TSI. TRAb. These are the recognized lab abbreviations and if he puts them on the form they can draw the blood work and have it run. This will allow for a better evaluation of your thyroid hormones and allow for possible confirmation of the more common AI disorders out there.

Sincerely,
    MG

Last edited by mkgb; 09-12-2007 at 09:05 AM.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:15 AM   #10
    jeanettr
    (female)

jeanettr HB User

Thanks for the help. I put a call into the doctor, you never get to speak to a nurse first time calling. I am waiting for her to call me back. If they blow me off again I will call and make an appointment with an Endo.
    I will post when I know more. I don't think I will waste my $125.00 on a refill of Meridia.

Jeanett

Old 09-12-2007, 10:43 AM   #11
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Heck no. You can get better results with weight watchers.. the zone and the metabolife metabolism boosters you can by at the store. Word of warning on the metabolife.. it is like speed. Everything kicks up heart rate and BP included. Not a good thing if your resting HR is 90. With it being your thyroid you will hit a platue that you can not go below with out fixing the thyroid. I did the zone and all the diets after my pregnancy it to a tonsillectomy and WW to knock off 40 lbs.. then with 15 to 20 to go to make me satisified.. nothing nada. I am and have been at 159 lbs with a 5 pound flux weakly since. To stay in this state and not gain freely. I must weight train every day for an hour.. alternating leg and arm days.. abs are daily. I must do 7 miles of cardo or 4 miles and a martial art daily. And only consume 22 points of food a day. My daily activity expends 9 of those points.. but I can not eat to replace then and stay at my current weight. I refuse to gain back what I have lost.. but I am exhausted.. so I feel your pain and sympathize. Showing my MDs my work out regime and diet log they no longer tell me to work harder.. they know something is off and we are moving to fix it.

I am the log girl. Food intake, thyroid symptoms, BP, HR, and Temp. Activity and weights.. humm think that is it other than my daily schedule. Daily stress log.. what do I need to do and what has ticked me off today. I am pretty sure that is it other than my appointment lists and to do lists. I am quite list OCD.

Hope you get the results you need and help you need soon.
    Sincerely,
    MG

Old 09-12-2007, 10:58 AM   #12
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User

FREE T3 = metabolism.

Your Free T3 is way too low.

What time of day did you have the blood drawn? It is best to have blood drawn first thing in the morning. That is when the TSH tends to be highest.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:06 AM   #13
    jeanettr
    (female)

jeanettr HB User

The blood was drawn around 10 am. I called the ob also that ordered the test and asked why she didn't mention this 2 months ago when the test was done. Nurse said that my results are normal. She wouldn't think they have anything to do with my problem losing weight. no follow up needed.

Last edited by jeanettr; 09-12-2007 at 11:30 AM.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:05 AM   #14
    jeanettr
    (female)

jeanettr HB User

The GP returned my call. He said he will re-do blood work to make sure of the results. I go tomorrow to have the blood drawn. I don't understand how one doctor can say the same results are normal and the other not.

Closed Thread