It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• New Blood Test Results, what do you think?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-11-2007, 09:47 PM   #1
    Jacinda
    (female)

Jacinda HB User
    New Blood Test Results, what do you think?

What do you make of my recent blood test results? Last time I posted several people here thought I was hypothyroid and should be treated. I have never been treated for thyroid disease and have not been taking anything except the occasional Ferritin supplement and multivitamins. I have a few symptoms and a sibling had Hypothyroidism, but my doctor thinks I donít have a thyroid problem at the moment and we should look elsewhere for the cause of these symptoms. It does appear to me as though everything is normal except the antibodies, so does this mean I shouldn't be treated? Another blood test will be done in 6 months time.

Recent results:

TSH 1.9 (0.3-5.0)
    Free T4 ll.8 (9.0-19.0)
    Free T3 4.7 (2.6-6.0)

Thyroid Antibodies
    Peroxidase 5 (<12)
    Thyroglobulin 68 H (<34)

6 months ago (posted here)
    TSH 3.4 (0.3-5.0)
    Peroxidase 11 (<12)
    Thyroglubulin 153 H (<34)
    No other tests at this time.

TSH 2.2
    No other tests at this time.

Any input would be appreciated.
    Jacinda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2007, 10:18 PM   #2
    Barbara_Ann
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User
    Re: New Blood Test Results, what do you think?

What are your symptoms?

Old 09-12-2007, 07:15 AM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

You are fluxuating and you have antibodies. This may mean you are in the early stages of Hashi's. As to treatment... it depends on your symptoms. How many are you having? How often?

Current on going studies have shown treatment of Hashi's before severe symptom onset can suppress and stagnate the progression of Hashi's. Have you been diagnosed with Hashi's? Positinve TPOAb and TGAb tests are an indicator of hashi's, but the way to be completely sure is to have your thyroid scanned and biopsied. I would see about getting a consultaion with an endocrinologist. Show them your history. Meanwhile look up the symptoms for hyper and hypo thyroid. Enter them in a spread sheet. Check off what you suffer from on a daily basis and keep a daily basal temperature log as well. Measure your temperature same time every day. First thing in the morning after waking and beginning to move about is the best time. This will give you an idea of how your body is functioning and responding and all you to get your blood tests drawn when your thyroid is misbehaving the most.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 09-12-2007, 07:16 AM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

You appear to have Hashimoto's thyroid disease. If you have symptoms, you should be given thyroid hormone now. It can be difficult to get a doctor to understand that, but the first endo I went to practices that way, so they're out there. Antibodies + Symptoms = Treatment

Your FT4 is well below median range, and your TSH is flip-flopping all over the place, the way it does with early Hashimoto's disease. (The antibodies are indicative of Hashi's.) Your FT3 is just about mid-range, which might be adequate with adequate FT4, but yours isn't.

Look around for another doctor who knows more about thyroid, or at least try to convince this one to give you a trial of hormone.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:42 AM   #5
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

I have Hashi's in the early stages.. at least only been active for five years. Both my TPOAb and TGAb are 10x the recommended limits. My TSI and TRAb test were inconclusive so the diagnosis of Graves is out there to be determined at a later date or after a biopsy.

Here is a summary of my symptoms. Yes it is my turn on the thyroid roller coaster. Weeee!
    Even with my given Hashi's antibodies, I have not been thrown 100% hypo yet.. my body is waring with itself on 7-10 days cycles. My TSH has not been wacked yet it is still in normal ranges.. but not optimal.. but my liver, T3 and T4 are all over the place depending on when my blood is drawn. My triglycerides are always high.. despite my salt intake. Cholesterol has always been good. Blood pressure normal.. heart beat and function all seem hyper in nature. My t3 Uptake. Low always low.. so my conversion capabilities stink. My symptoms are high and consistant. They amplified 10 fold after and during my one and only pregnancy.

Now I am looking at myself as an living experiment it is kind of fascinating and less annoying that way. I am going to push and plead and grovel for hormones come monday at my first visit with my endo. I am gathering every chem profile ever taken over the past ten years and the signs are all there. My symptoms are getting worse day by day. This has been my worse month in a while visually. My eyes are beginning to be a real pain. I have had to put myself at the mercy of my husband for transportation way too much, but if you can not see you can not drive safely. While one may be willing to risk driving about on their own with impaired vision. I am not. I will definitely not risk my son on the matter.

Other factors to consider... most AI's come from somewhere. Look to your parents, aunts and uncles, and grandparents, and their siblings. In most cases it is XX dominant and will have an 80% tendancy in female carriers.. so look to the ladies first. If you have females in your line that have the weight gain issues and skin and allergies and all other types of symptoms. They may need your help. For they may have what you have and not been caught.

This is my experience in the matter of familial dominance. But my mother (1 of 5) has Graves and Hashi's (Hashitoxicosis) as does one of her sisters.. then another of her sisters has just Hashi's and another just Graves. [ What a wonderful gene pool.] The one sister that has not been diagnosed with an AI refuses to be tested and is content to be fat. Ugh! And she is a nurse. Makes me want to smack her in the head like you see done in the V8 commercials. I can go back all the way to great grandparents and pictures of their grape fruit sized throat groiters.

So look to your symptoms andd family history.. look to the positive antibodies you have. Treatmet sooner than later is better. Dito midwest1.. she is a pro.
    Sincerely,
    MG

Old 09-12-2007, 06:33 PM   #6
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User

Optimal TSH is low, around 1.0 . Yours is high.(But still in the magical "normal range".)

Optimal Free T's are in the middle to upper part of the "normal range". Your are both in the low part of the range. (NOt optimal but still in the magical "normal range".)

All these point to hypo-thyroid. Are you having hypothyroid symptoms?

A low ferritin will make you feel worse too. Optimal ferritin is between 70 & 90. Below 50 can cause restless leg symdrome, hair loss & heart palpitations, fatigue.

What are your symptoms?

Old 09-12-2007, 08:00 PM   #7
    Jacinda
    (female)

Jacinda HB User

Thank you all for your replies.

Barbara - My symptoms are mainly exhaustion, hair loss and constipation. Unfortunately these can have other causes besides thyroid disease, especially when you’re in your 50s, which makes diagnosis so difficult doesn’t it?

MG - As yet I have not been diagnosed with Hashi’s. I wish you luck on Monday when you visit your endo! Would love to know how you get on and thanks for the information about familial dominance, all very interesting.

Midwest - Could early Hashimoto’s cause exhaustion, and hair loss? I thought you had to be really hypo for those symptoms. My doctor said my TSH at 1.9 is too ‘normal’ to be treated, treatment at this stage could make me hyper. Instead she has recommended an hrt drug to help with the hair and energy. However, I read somewhere that oestrogen is not a good idea if you have a thyroid problem, so I’m not sure about that at the moment. Many thanks for your help!

GCC
    My ferritin was in the normal range last time it was checked, about 40. By now it must be over 70 as I take iron supplements. Thanks for your reply.

Jacinda

Old 09-13-2007, 07:40 AM   #8
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I know you asked Midwest, but I had my symptom list readily available in my spreadp sheet so i am posting it for you.

Hashimoto's disease is a disease characterized by the immune system attacking the thyroid gland. A family history of thyroid disorders is common, with the HLADR5 gene most strongly implicated as the carrier. The person may experience symptoms of hyperthyroidism at first when the thyroid may actually produce too much thyroid hormones. This is early in the developement of Hashimoto's. It is caused by a reaction of the immune system against the thyroid gland. Basically when the immune system begins to attack the thyroid the thyroid fights back be releasing more hormones than necessary resulting in a temprary hyper state.. then the immune system attacks again more violently killing of more of the thyroid making one hypo for a bit til the thyroid returns its volley. Nasty little cycle, huh?

Early signs may include both hypo and hyperthyroid symptoms, as the disease progresses and the thyroid is killed off the symptoms and tendencies become hypothyroid dominant.

Some sign and symptoms related to fully developed Hashimoto's disease are as follows:
    * Fatigue.
    * Enlarged neck or presence of goiter.
    * Small or atrophic thyroid gland.
    * Dry skin.
    * Joint stiffness.
    * Excessive sleepiness.
    * Dry, coarse hair.
    * Facial swelling.
    * Hair loss.
    * Heavy and irregular menses.
    * Hoarse voice.
    * An elevated blood cholesterol level.
    * Intolerance to cold.
    * Most often, people with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis suffer from symptoms of Hypothyroidism (fatigue, lethargy, decreased metabolic rate).

I will post on my visit and plan of treatment Monday.. 4 days to go. I am hoping all goes well.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 09-14-2007, 08:49 PM   #9
    Jacinda
    (female)

Jacinda HB User

MG - Thanks for that list, very helpful.
    All the best to you.

Jacinda

Closed Thread