It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hypothyroid with positive ANA test

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-12-2007, 07:47 AM   #1
    Crystalgray
    (female)

Crystalgray HB User
    Hypothyroid with positive ANA test

I was diagnosed with hypothyroid in March yet despite taking my meds on time and increasing the dosage to 100mcg's I was still feeling pretty bad. I have been having kidney problems-blood in urine, frequent urination and acidosis. Today I got my test results back and my ANA was positive (homogeneous). What does that mean? I searched the net and it stated a positive ANA would indicate Lupus. I feel my whole body is falling apart because the true culprit is being overlooked. Has anyone else tested positive for ANA? I have had tests for it in the past and they were negative. I am sooooo confused.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2007, 12:45 AM   #2
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User
    Re: Hypothyroid with positive ANA test

Hi Crystal...

Sorry you are feeling so bad. I remember when I first got this hypo stuff feeling like I must have had a deadly disease..quite often I was sure of it, as I felt so darn bad. (I felt worse after starting meds) I have read that having this Hashimoto's, [autoimmune disease], and also just having hypothyroid can mess up some of our blood levels, and can even elevate an ANA test result.

My ANA was normal, but I did have blood in my urine [for years] until my levels became optimal, and then stayed there for a while...also I too, [and a few of my GF's who are hypo] have days when I have to urinate more often than usual. That was also pretty severe before my levels were regulated...and my BUN test result was always low.

Those test results are normal now...and even though some days I have to pee too much...at least it's not that way all of the time...most days it's normal. What other tests have they done on you to check you for Lupus?

You can do a search on hypothyroid and elevated ANA test and see that it really can affect that...I take it your levels are not optimized yet? You might want to visit the Lupus boards here too and see if any of your symptoms are consistent with Lupus, and maybe ask the other gals there what their symptoms were like. It may just be your hypo though. It really can make one feel pretty darn bad, before you get your levels straightened out.

Good luck, and I hope you are feeling better soon...
    hugs...
    Deda

Old 09-15-2007, 06:48 AM   #3
    mattie75
    (female)

mattie75 HB User

I also had a positive ana at 1:1280 homogeneous pattern. Roller coaster thyroid for several years, have one small cyst that was found with an ultrasound in the spring. Tested for other autoimmune diseases and the only ones that came back positive were my TPO antibodies and Antithyroglobulin. Thyroglobulin blood levels were nonexistant. Hair falling out in handfulls.
    Levels in normal range except TSH keeps falling even before I started meds.
    Has gone from 2.0 - 0.9 I know there are normal, but don't feel normal for me. Real bad joint pain in elbows also. Muscle pain in leg. Rhematologist said I had fibromyalgia, and I think that is hogwash! I think if antibodies to thyroid will settle so will pain. (but that is my personal opinion)

New dr. last week. Really did like her. Wants to totally supress my TSH and start me on medication that we can control and not have this roller coaster ride or the autoimunne attack (we hope) not doing well on meds, sweating, anxious, and trouble sleeping (nightmares, palpitations, etc) kind of got to where i expect it every night. Also was going on before I started meds, but seems worse now. Told to stop meds for 3 days and try again at a smaller dose.

The anxiety is the worst part for me. I can't stand that uneasy stomach feeling and brain that won't stop.

We did discuss lupus and she said we need to watch but thinks it is all thyroid related. I am just about ready to ask for surgery to remove it (thyroid) all together. I know that is extreme, but as long as their are antibodies to it I feel my thyroid gland will be attacked. I guess I am vain but this Hair Falling is the worst. My son is expecting me to attend a dinner with him in October and I am embarrassed to go because my hair is so thin and I might add I look like heck, I hope some of this resolves soon.

mattie

Old 09-17-2007, 07:44 PM   #4
    ljs
    (female)

ljs HB User

Hi Crystal,

I am also hypothyroid and I am working on finding relief from symptoms. I am at the same dose as you and the only improvement to date is I don't have the constipation I was having, which is good. Not sure if it's related to meds though. My tsh is still in the upper range of normal although I'm due for another test next week.

A positive ANA doesn't mean you definitely have lupus but it can indicate an autoimmune disease like lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma, Sjogren's syndrome, etc. Also, many autoimmune disorders have similar symptoms to low thyroid (which, of course, is also often caused by an autoimmune disorder). I think the reason you have seen lupus mentioned is that it's one of the more common ai problems seen with ANAs, especially if it's high.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:43 AM   #5
    Crystalgray
    (female)

Crystalgray HB User

All,

The only test my doctor did was the ANA he told me it wasn't a big deal and not to worry. I am going to call my endo today to get her opinion. I've been feeling so bad lately. I've take a sick day almost one day a week for about a month now. I don't understand it. I am taking 100mcg's maybe I should go higher or even try the T3/T4 mixture. It was pulling teeth just to get my doctor to go up to 100mcg's. Is 125mcg alot?

Old 09-18-2007, 08:06 AM   #6
    ljs
    (female)

ljs HB User

Hi Crystal,

I can't help on your dosing although I think I've heard of higher doses than 100mcg often enough. I would ask your doctor to do further testing to find out what's causing you to have the positive ANA. Usually they automatically do an ENA, which tests for specific antibodies. I've had several ANAs over the last few years and they have all been positive and my gp and/rheumatologist have always run follow up tests on it. If your doctor won't do this, you might want to see a rheumatologist who specializes in connective tissue disorders and/or autoimmune disorders.

It doesn't sound like your doctor is taking you very seriously right now. If that continues you might want to be shopping for a new doctor.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:44 AM   #7
    Jamie2703
    (female)

Jamie2703 HB User

Hi, sorry you're feeling so bad. I'm kinda in the same boat. I have had my ANA tested because my family doc thought I had lupus. I have a problem with eczema and thats what made her think of it, not to mention a problem with hives. I had blood work done that showed I have arthritis, so of course they definately sent me to a Rhumatologist after that to check my ANA. Mine was elevated, but I was given details. I wasn't even told really if he thought it was lupus or not. He just put me on a bunch of medications I didnt know anything about so I didnt take them. I was told later by my endo that my hypo was due from and autoimmune disease, hashi's. So I'm hoping thats what elevated my ANA. But i'm still clueless. I'm sorry I cant be anymore help, I kinda have the same questions that you have, is it lupus? As for the kidney problems, I have them, but I dont have a problem with going too much, I dont go enough and I'm on a diuretic I hope you find out something about your health soon so you can start feeling better. I've been wondering for 3 years if I have lupus, but the doctors around here act like it would kill them to tell us about ourselves. Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:10 AM   #8
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The ANA test alone isn't enough to tell anything. ANA ABs only suggest that some unidentified autoimmune process is going on, but it doesn't specify which AI process that is. If you have never had specific thyroid AB tests, having them now may reveal the cause of your hypoT to be Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Elevated ANA's would result from elevated TPO and/or Tg ABs.

I have Hashi's, elevated TPOs, and very mildly elevated ANAs, and I have no other AI disease besides Hashi's.

Edit to add ~ A dose of 125 mcgs of T4 is not at all excessive. If you need it, you need it. But if you aren't feeling substantially better yet, you should at least start to consider that either the brand isn't right for you, that it isn't high enough for you, that you aren't converting the T4 to T3 in a proportion great enough for your needs, or that the symptoms that remain might be caused by something other than your thyroid. Lots of possibilities there, I know, and it takes time to figure it all out.

Is your MD monitoring your free T4/T3 levels, or monitoring your TSH only? Testing the free hormones will show whether you need a higher dose or whether you are converting enough T4 to T3. If either or both free Ts is below middle lab range, you haven't yet reached optimal treatment. Many MDs don't understand these basics and try to treat everyone according to their textbooks; but not every patient is a textbook case. If your MD is so stubborn as to not increase your dose by a modest amount, it sounds as if he/she is a TSH treater, not a thyroid treater. You may have to go elsewhere to get optimal treatment.

Last edited by midwest1; 09-18-2007 at 09:18 AM.

Closed Thread