It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hands hot to the touch, do you have this symptom?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-13-2007, 07:46 AM   #1
    lisad0h
    (female)

lisad0h HB User
    Hands hot to the touch, do you have this symptom?

My dh has days when his hands are just on fire. They are actually hot when he touches me. Does anyone else have this side effect with graves ?

He is working with endo to get a good level of levoxyl to regulate his numbers. Just reduced him to a dose of 100 per day. He was at 150 but went hypo again. Went through a 2nd RAI in June. Its been a very long struggle. His symptoms don't seem to be getting any better. Thanks much...Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2007, 05:40 PM   #2
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User
    Re: Hands hot to the touch, do you have this symptom?

Hi lisad...

Do you know, I had that same symptom before I was diagnosed with Hashi's&Hypothyroid. My hands felt like they were on fire sometimes, and sometimes the soles of my feet would feel the same way too. (My hypo aunt said she had that too...with her feet) But once I got on my thyroid meds, it started gettting better...but I still had the ugly pins and needles, and numbness feelings in my hands....until my levels were a lot better. [optimized] You said that he just went from 150 mcg to 100?....I think you meant he went HYper again? Maybe that is what's causing it....his levels are off...so when it straightens back out, I'm sure he'll feel better.

Good luck and health to your husband...
    Deda

Old 09-14-2007, 09:15 AM   #3
    lisad0h
    (female)

lisad0h HB User

Thanks Deda !!! Yes, he is back to the hyper range again. Trying to regulate these med's is like being blindfolded in a dark room, shooting a gun, trying to hit a target ! Its so darn frustrating. Its been 3 weeks since the reduce in levoxyl. I'm guessing he is still hyper and its to strong. He gets new blood tests Sept 24th and we see the endo Oct 1. I just keep hoping for the day to arrive when he will start feeling normal again. Its been a very long time. Thanks again....Lisa

Old 09-15-2007, 05:20 AM   #4
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lisad0h View Post
    Thanks Deda !!! Yes, he is back to the hyper range again. Trying to regulate these med's is like being blindfolded in a dark room, shooting a gun, trying to hit a target ! Its so darn frustrating. Its been 3 weeks since the reduce in levoxyl. I'm guessing he is still hyper and its to strong. He gets new blood tests Sept 24th and we see the endo Oct 1. I just keep hoping for the day to arrive when he will start feeling normal again. Its been a very long time. Thanks again....Lisa

VERY GOOD DESCRIPTION, Lisa!!! You described how it is perfectly!! [I may show that one to my endo at my next appt., she'll get a laugh!] It's a Bi$sh isn't it? I'm over 4 years now, and still working on it. Have got close, in fact we know I am very close...one dose is a little too high, and the next dose down is a little too low. So we just reduced my med, [by 12 mcg's...and it's making me ache a lot, just that tiny reduction...so I can see how your hubby might feel kinda funny, dropping down that much]. You said it's been 3 weeks since he dropped the dose down....did they have him skip a few days [taking meds] before that....to help it drop down a bit faster??

I'm just wondering. I was feeling a little hyper, and so I took no T4 [Levothroid] for 2 days, [except I did take my Cytomel, [T3] which was not high on my test results], so I went 2 days with no Levothroid, and then 2 days I only took 1/2 a Levothroid, and that helped me feel better right away..but now the aches have started...hopefully not for long. I've read it can take a few weeks for the TSH to start falling, so maybe he will feel better soon. I hope he doesn't turn hypo though, as they did drop his dose quite a bit. (Why so much...did they say? Were his levels real, real high?)

I know it's frustrating to regulate these darn levels, Lisa, but tell him to hang in there...he'll get there one day,....that's a promise. (Or he'll be like me and get real close) Actually, I have had optimal levels but they just don't seem to last very long. Maybe it's because my antibodies are so high, and they are so busy attacking my thyroid gland. How long has he been on treatment now?

Please post his new levels when you get them, on this thread, so I can see them, okay?...I'm going to be wondering. I hope they gave him at least 6 weeks on this new dose, before they test him. I like to wait 8 weeks, myself.

Good luck Lisa and hubby, (and he's very lucky to have a wife who cares about him so dearly like you do,..you're sweet).
    Deda

Last edited by Deda; 09-15-2007 at 05:22 AM.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:54 PM   #5
    lisad0h
    (female)

lisad0h HB User

Hi Deda !!!

Yes his levels were very high, so they dropped him from 150 to 100 mcg on the levoxyl. I thought it was a quick drop myself. Just got his new labs back today. They are more in range then before, but he is not feeling any better ? This is how they look:

TSH .79 (.35-5.5)
    T3 Update 32 (22-37)
    T3, Free 3.32 (2.3-4.2)
    Thyroxine Free 1.34 (.89-1.76)
    T4, Thyroxine 9.4 (4.5-10.9)

We see the endo on Monday, unless they call before. The last 2 appts they have adjusted the meds over the phone and not had us drive the 2 hours to the office.

I hope your starting to feel better. Lisa

Old 09-25-2007, 07:38 PM   #6
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User
    Talking Re: Hands hot to the touch, do you have this symptom?

Hi there, Lisa!

Hey,..how's it going? Well, you're right,...his levels are starting to look better...how long was he on this dose... it looks to me like not quite 5 weeks,..maybe? So if that's the case, his levels could improve a little more in the next few weeks. Some people take almost a full 3 months to level out..I have a friend like that...for me 2 months seems long enough.

Anyway, Lisa...how long has he been on thyroid meds? I don't know if you've been told this before, but AFTER your levels become "regulated", or some say, "optimized", only then does your body start healing itself... and that can take anywhere from a couple of months to a year or so....everyone's different, and it really depends on how much damage was done to all of his tissues. It may take some time too because he was hyper just a few weeks ago,...so his body has been going through a lot of big changes. It will striaghten itself out. Rest and try to exercise a little,..gently.

For myself, it took quite a long while, [but I think I had been hypo and undiagnosed for a long time], and I also found that just taking these meds (Levothroid and Cytomel) all alone just wasn't enough. I had to change the way I ate and lived...and slept and everything! lol I started eating very healthy foods, taking some vitamins and supplements, trying to get a little exercise each day and finally I started sleeping well. (I couldn't sleep [hardly..some nights only an hour or two] when my levels were a mess)

All I can say is...his levels don't look bad...[those Free T levels are what's important, and that T3 Uptake is worthless], possibly his Free levels could be a little higher, but like I said, they may still go up some, as he really wasn't on 150 mg. that long. If he isn't feeling better later, then he may want to talk to his Dr. about getting on some T3 replacement. Unfortunately, this thyroid regulating and then the healing time...altogether is a s-l-o-w process...that kinda stinks, I know... but oh well...better than having some other horrible disease, right?

Is he still feeling tired...or having a lot of aches and pains? It does take a while,...so tell him to hang in there and try as hard as he can to be patient. It looks like he has a pretty good Dr. as they are testing him with a full panel of tests. Good luck on his appt. this Monday...I hope it goes well. Most of all I hope he feels better soon. Oh yeah....I'm feeling a bit better, not so achey...and starting to sleep better again. Thank you for asking.

Stay in touch, and good luck!
    Deda

Closed Thread