It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Forthcoming Partial Thyroidectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-15-2007, 01:03 PM   #1
    Genna221089
    (female)

Genna221089 HB User
    Forthcoming Partial Thyroidectomy

Hi
    I am due for an operation to take out half of my thyroid gland because of a hot nodule. Can someone give me some advice as to the outcome of this operation and if you get instant relief. I have put on quite a lot of weight since the beginning of my problems due to my increased appetite. If anyone has had the same problem, do you lose the accumulated weight quite quickly? I know everyone's metabolism does not work in the same way, but does anyone have any testimonials of their experiences post surgery? Also, is surgery best or iodine treatment?
    Thanks
    Genna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2007, 09:25 AM   #2
    fran48
    (female)

fran48 HB User
    Re: Forthcoming Partial Thyroidectomy

Hi Genna,

I had a Partial Thyroidectomy 12 years ago and then the rest was whipped out in June of this year, both due to rather big nodules just popping up! I must admit my recent op was so much better than the one I had when I was 19 - surgery and anaesthetic has come a long way. They even tidied up my previous scar when they did the op this time! Cosmetic Surgery into the bargain too!

My recent op was relatively problem free - I wasn't sick after the anaesthetic like I was the first time around, which was awful especially as my neck was so sore. I was able to get up and walk to the toilet with assistance the same afternoon. The only downsides were the neck drain I had to lug around with me for four days whilst I was in Hospital which wasn't very pleasant and my blood pressure dropped horribly after the op which also wasn't very nice.

I was off work for a month, but at that time I was still getting out and about - just taking things nice and easy and I was fit enough to get married a month and a half after my op - thankfully!

The only problems I have had are with getting my thyroxine medication right now I don't have a thyroid at all - it wasn't too bad when I had the first partial thyroidectomy, it only took a couple of gos to get it right, but this time it's taking a bit of trial and error. Not feeling great at all - just very up and down at the moment, but I'll get there eventually. I've found this time round that there really isn't a quick fix.

I actually lost quite a lot of weight after my op, mainly because I couldn't eat much more than yoghurts and soup! I suspect that your weight will sort itself out when they sort your meds out - if you're hypo then that's probably why you are gaining weight.

I hope this helps and good luck with everything.

Fran

Old 09-17-2007, 05:44 PM   #3
    Bonnie212121
    (female)

Bonnie212121 HB User
    Smile Re: Forthcoming Partial Thyroidectomy

Hey I just had my Sub-total thyroidectomy done a week ago .(Sept 10th). I was only in till the next day and had NO pain after the surgery. I could not believe it. The reason for the surgery was because I had a large goiter 5 cm and a few small ones. I have had trouble with my menstral cycle for the past bit and had a Uteran Ablation done. Since the Ablation I have found the goiter and have had to wear a pad do to small amounts of bleeding. Now since the Sub-total thyroidectomy I have been bleeding more ???? I go tomorrow to see the surgon....Bonnie

Old 09-24-2007, 11:28 AM   #4
    Kambre
    (female)

Kambre HB User

Hi,
    Could I ask why they are taking part of your thyroid out? Was it your decision or did the Doc tell you it would be best. I'm just curious because yours is "hot" nodule and I've been told for the most part those are not cancer. I have a 2cm "cold" nodule that they say is more apt to be cancer. I've had the sonogarm and RAI uptake test...then I did a FNA biopsy and it came back with the most common answer..."undiacnostic"...definetly not colloid which would have been non-cancer...but mine is one of those that is hard to tell. Now I wait. I'm not taking sythroid and don't want to go through all the problems trying to get it regulated unless I have to. My thyroid counts are all in the so called normal range except my TSH has always been low.... .25 to like .35 this year for TSH. Good Luck!

Kambre

Old 09-24-2007, 11:35 AM   #5
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

My mother had a PT. She had her dead half removed that was growing abnormally.. the Graves hot half was left to cover her hormone needs. This wasn't the best treatment regime. Removing the dead growth didn't change her symptoms. She continued to suffer with no further follow up. Now she is finally going back to a different Endo to consult on her needs. Once your hot node goes there is a chance you will be thrown hypo and need medications permanently. Did the MD's consider medications for you.. was there abnormal growth in your hyper node?

One Aunt.. my mom's youngest sister is pure Graves. She is doing well with the AT medication along with a side order of L-Carnitine to help manage the symptoms. She is holding up well, but plans on opting for surgery versus RAI if things go out of whack in the future.

Another aunt of mine has Hashitoxicosis.. and has had increasing thyroid storms so she is getting the whole ball of wax removed in November.. she will be on hormones after that. Surgery has its on complications and will not be an instant cure.. i can not give you the answers you seek.. but you might want to considered a second opinion if they were unwilling to try ATD's and went straight to surgery for your solution.

Sincerely,
    MG

Last edited by mkgb; 09-25-2007 at 08:26 AM.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:18 AM   #6
    Suey77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Suey77 HB User

Hi Genna ~

Personally, I've always been a big girl, but don't wonder if PART of that was due to slow thyroid (that fell within range, but was slow FOR ME). I had one enlarged, non-cancerous lobe removed nearly 2 years ago (my Endo & surgeon want it out because it easier when they aren't H-U-G-E, involving the vocal cords) I don't regret my decision at all.

My difficulties stemmed from getting ON thy meds, finding the right one & having to FIGHT for my right to a quality life.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:01 AM   #7
    Genna221089
    (female)

Genna221089 HB User

Hi Everyone

Thank you all so much for your replies. I have only just logged in to read them because I am so down, I didn't think anyone would bother to write back. I have just seen the surgeon who will be carrying out the operation in two weeks time and thankfully he is real nice. He told me that with the remaining part of my thyroid will function just as it did before so I am looking forward to getting back to "normal". My real worry is that the amount of weight, accumulated from being first hypo and then hyper, will not budge post operation and I must admit that this does put a dampener on everyday life. I have put on around 401bs since the beginning of the problems, which was around 5 years ago. The doctors kept telling me that my blood tests were normal in spite of the fact that I was putting on weight without effort and especially after coming off low-calorie attempts to diet.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:11 AM   #8
    Genna221089
    (female)

Genna221089 HB User

Hi Kambre

Thanks very much for your reply. It wasn't my decision at all to take out anything. I have a hot thyroid nodule and straight after the tests, the doctor said that it needed to come out. I believe they are taking out half because the nodule is quite large now. It measues nearly half of the gland and is too big for RAI. The surgeon said to me that if it is treated with RAI, I will immediately become hypo and I have enough problems already with my weight and do not want to go back to being hypo. I read your problems with interest and didn't understand everything that is going on with you so I am going to do a little research. I very much hope that the tests come back negative. Kind regards.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:23 AM   #9
    Genna221089
    (female)

Genna221089 HB User

Hi ********

Thanks for your reply. In response to your question, the doctor did not consider medication at all (See previous reply). He just told me that it needed to come out and I am glad that he didn't propose anything other than surgery because I have been reading up a lot on this condition and I prefer to have what I believe is a "quick fix". I don't believe there was abnormal growth in the nodue, at least they didn't tell me that. Now that you mention it, I will be looking that up too!

Old 09-30-2007, 11:35 AM   #10
    Kambre
    (female)

Kambre HB User

Hello Genna 221.... I know all cases are different. I hear some gain weight with thyroid problems or the reverse. I'm not sure how old you are but as we grow older too, with each decade it's harder and harder to keep off the pounds. I don't think right now I'm hyper or hypo...my TSH count is lower then it should be is the only thing but T3 & T4 or normal...so some Dr's call it sub-clinical hyperthyroidism..but I'm still not sure about that...BUT...I'm 49 and have always been pretty fit...teaching fitness classes and make sure I get my "at least" 3 days of fittnes in / week...in my early 40's I wasn't as good as watching what I put in my mouth as I was in my 20's or 30's...but now that I have a 2cm (about 1") nodule/tumor on the left thyroid and tiny cyst on the right thyroid...and with a possible chance of it being cancer..I'm going to get back on a healthy diet and do some anti-cancer herbs, vitimins, and food NO PROCESSED FOODS...etc..(sugar and other foods FEED CANCER)....just in case...but even though I'm still pretty active and teach a couple of fitness classes...I'm still about 20 lbs over my weight that I was in my 20s' 30s'...that is pretty normal. So don't get down on yourself....it's not as bad to be over weight as it is to be "over fat"..that could cause other health issues. That could be a different issue than the thyroid...my nodule is "cold"...it is not like yours ...a hot nodule is still working with they thyrod and if you had a RAI Uptake Test followed by an x-ray..you would see a full image of your thyroid...my x-ray that followed my RAI UPtake Test showed a piece of my thyroid missing in the picture...it was the piece that had the nodule on it...it did not absorb the iodine that I took by pill form...so that is how they determined mine was cold. The percentage of it being cancer goes up slightly for it to be cancer than a hot nodule...still now a high percent. I'm still dragging my feet about taking out half of my thyroid that has the nodule because right now..it doesn't show and not interfering with my swallowing etc..AND I DON'T WANT TO TAKE CHEMICALS /DRUGS ...AFTER THRYOID IS REMOVED UNLESS I HAVE TOO....I might wait a few months then have another FNA Biopsy guided by sonagram..(where they stick the needle in the tumor by watching it on the t.v. screen so they don't MISS it ).....and see if they results come back different then it did last week for me. My labs came back "undiagnostic"..which meant they could not tell if it was Cancer or NOT.....with money being a issue....and that I've made a big chunk of my deductable..so "if" I have part of it taken out...I should do it before Jan. 1st. I hate that to be part of my decision making though. If they get inside the thyroid and the quick lab test they would take on the 1/2 that is taken out...and it is NOT cancer...they would leave the other half and HOPEFULLY..wouldn't have to be on any medication....I hope...some don't..some DO. Does any of this make more sense? You said you didn't understand some of it. I have lots of prayer going for me...hope you do to. Hang in there.
    Kambre

Old 10-02-2007, 09:14 AM   #11
    Genna221089
    (female)

Genna221089 HB User

Hi again Kambre

Thank you for writing me such a nice long detailed post. The advice you have given me will be taken onboard especially dietary requirements, processed foods, sugar etc. I have an increased appetite and have an unsatiable appetite for carbs. By the way, I am the same age as you, 49, 50 in April. I have now bought a book on hyperthyroidism and thyroid disorders and will be doing some reading up when I get some time. Good to hear that you still have enough energy to do fitness classes and keep relatively active. I have already stopped work because I was so exhausted and the doctor has given me one month post-operation off work. Hope things go okay for you. Take care.

Closed Thread