It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Qs for those of you who know lots about hypothyroid

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-16-2007, 03:03 PM   #1
    desiii
    (female)

desiii HB User
    Question Qs for those of you who know lots about hypothyroid

Hi all,

I've got a variety of health issues that I'm just strugging along with. In particular I'm having a hard time figuring out what's going on with my thryroid. I've had two TSH tests done, about a month apart. The first was 1.9, and the second was 3. The GP said that's fine, but the naturopath felt that my thyroid is too sluggish. I am about 50 lbs overweight and can't do a thing about it. I eat a very strict diet and do a cardio routine at least five times/week as well as some resistance training. Normal people would be able to use this to keep in shape. While I can build muscle, I can't seem to lose any fat at all, no matter what I do.

Here's the problem. I also have suffered from severe heart palpitations (PVC's) this past year. They're much better now than they were a few months ago. But still, it's risky to try any treatment that might bring them back stronger. Funny thing is when they started, all the dr's suspected hyperthyroid. But not only was there no weight loss, there was weight gain, even while I was barely eating!

I'm not sure how to pursue this whole thing. I know there are more detailed thyroid tests, but so far no one will do them for me. Is it worth fighting for them? I do struggle with some hormone imbalance that dr's have also had no luck dealing with. So maybe that's the main cause of the weight problem, I don't know. The whole thing is very frustrating.

If anyone can offer any advice about my TSH score or anything else I've mentioned, please do. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Qs for those of you who know lots about hypothyroid

A TSH that is increasing and has hit 3 is indicating hypothyroid behavior.

The ATA and Soc. of Endocrinology changed the normal range for TSH to 0.35-3.0 back in 2002. This means your GP is not upto dat on this fact. New research is leaning to resetting this once more to 0.3-2.5 for that Normal TSH range.

And normal doesn't mean optimal for you. Optimal ranges are clearly documented between 1-2. Most prefer as close to 1 as possible.

You need to get you FT3, FT4, T3Uptake, TPOAb, TGAb run. This will allow you to confirm hypo if the FT3 and FT4 are low.. and Hashimoto's (AI) if you are positive for TPOAb and TGAb.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 09-16-2007, 05:16 PM   #3
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User

I had heart palpitations and the doctors were puzzeled. They did all kinds of expensive test that came back normal.

I found out that my magnesium and ferritin levels were both way too low.

(Both or either of these can cause palpitations).

My ferritin level was 15 (within the "normal limits, just barely). Optimal ferritin is between 70 & 90. A few weeks after I started on iron supplements my palpitations WENT AWAY!

Ferritin = iron stores (and is NOT the same as hemeglobin or any other test). And most doctors NEVER order ferritin test. My hemeglobin was normal (even when my ferritin was way too low). Hypothyroid patient often have low ferritin.

Low magnesium can cause heart palpitations too.

Try doing a search on low ferritin heart palpitations and low magnesium heart palpitations.

Be sure to get COPIES of all your lab reports so you can see for yourself that your test are optimal and not just "in normal range".

I hope this helps.

Are you on thyroid meds yet? (I hope so).
    Are they testing your Free T3 and Free T4?

Old 09-16-2007, 05:32 PM   #4
    desiii
    (female)

desiii HB User

Thanks for the info, you guys. This is exactly what I'm looking for!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GCC View Post
    I had heart palpitations and the doctors were puzzeled. They did all kinds of expensive test that came back normal.

I found out that my magnesium and ferritin levels were both way too low.

(Both or either of these can cause palpitations).

My ferritin level was 15 (within the "normal limits, just barely). Optimal ferritin is between 70 & 90. A few weeks after I started on iron supplements my palpitations WENT AWAY!

Ferritin = iron stores (and is NOT the same as hemeglobin or any other test). And most doctors NEVER order ferritin test. My hemeglobin was normal (even when my ferritin was way too low). Hypothyroid patient often have low ferritin.

Low magnesium can cause heart palpitations too.

Try doing a search on low ferritin heart palpitations and low magnesium heart palpitations.

Be sure to get COPIES of all your lab reports so you can see for yourself that your test are optimal and not just "in normal range".

I hope this helps.

Are you on thyroid meds yet? (I hope so).
    Are they testing your Free T3 and Free T4?
    Never heard of testing for the Ferritin levels. Interesting. I'll have to look into that. My magnesium levels are fine. That was my first thought when they started, so I started taking it right away, but it had no effect. No one is really sure what started them. I went through an incredible amount of stress last year, so that could be a factor. I also was on an excellerated allergy shot program that may have been what set it off. I ended up having to quit the program early because I reacted badly to it. No one will say for sure though. Regardless, something went wrong along the way. Eventually I was able to get the cardio workouts started and that seems to be helping to strengthen my heart, so that's a big plus.

No one is testing me for anything at this point, and I'm not on any medication. The GP doesn't feel there's any need for it. (And he's the best clinic dr I've ever been to too!) However if I can find some solid reports to print out about TSH levels, he may change his mind and consider more tests. I wish the Mayo Clinic had something. He'd trust that right away.

But anyway, I'm moving to a new city in two weeks, so it's probably best to start from scratch once I get there. What I need is to find a GP who will refer me to an endochrinologist. Then maybe I can get some answers. But NONE of them will so far. So frustrating!

Thank you for the advice though. Very helpful!

Old 09-17-2007, 04:27 PM   #5
    Barbara_Ann
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

As far as the weight gain - try the South Beach Diet.

Your body has no choice but to lose on it.

It worked for me when nothing else would.

It literally forces your body to burn it's own fat for energy and consequently the pounds start coming off immediately.

Check it out. You stop putting sugar of any type in your body for the first two weeks. No root vegetables or fruits. Phase I is hard but you stay motivated because of the weight you are losing daily.

You can buy the book online or check it out at the library probably.

You'll love it - IT WORKS.

I've lost 25 lbs on it. 14 by the end of the first 2 weeks.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:37 PM   #6
    desiii
    (female)

desiii HB User

Thanks, Barbara Anne.

I have heard wonderful things about that diet. Glad it's working for you!
    I've actually been on Atkins for over a month now (Currently in phase 2). Lost five pounds early on (mostly water, I'm sure), and then came to pretty much a screaming hault.

I've lost quite a bit of weight on Atkins in the past, but over the years got lazy and went back to old habits. However this time around, it's not working.

From what I have researched so far, metabolic problems that relate to hormones respond best to lower carb diets. So I'm planning to stick with it. It's sounding like I will need some kind of medical treatment in addition to the diet to see any progress though.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:19 PM   #7
    desiii
    (female)

desiii HB User

A quick note to GCC -
    I checked back on my blood workups that have been done in the past six months, and ferritin was tested twice. The first came in at 75 and the second at 81. So not exactly high, but well into the "acceptable" range, I think. Kinda curious to see where it is now that my palps are considerably less than they were a few months ago.

Closed Thread