It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• What questions did you ask your endocologist?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-16-2007, 08:48 PM   #1
    Dumossa
    (female)

Dumossa HB User
    What questions did you ask your endocologist?

Hi there
    I'm to see my endocologist hopefully next week, for the first time and I am trying to put a list of questions together to ask him. I have a couple, mainly the most obvious ones, but are there any questions you asked your endo or would have liked to have asked, especially those with Graves disease? Sorry for being personal, I'm still new to all this and am finding it hard to absorb everything. I'd just like to go in there armed with some knowledge about thyroidism.
    Francine (dumossa)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2007, 05:32 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: What questions did you ask your endocologist?

I don't have Graves', so I can't help you there.
    I found that when I first saw the endo, she wasn't all that receptive to questions. I felt a little dictated to, but I chose to ignore it for the time being because at least she was willing to treat my hypoT when my primary MD would not.

Be forewarned that an endo may try to rush you into RAI ablation of your thyroid gland to treat your Graves'. Please don't let yourself be pushed into that without trying anti-thyroid meds first.

I hope you'll have a better "endo experience" than I did.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:13 AM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

I asked my endo what they considered the normal TSH to be and why? This let me know if they are keeping up on the ATA and SE recommendations. I also asked if she just used TSH or TSH, T3, and T4 in determining treatment. I addition I asked if she believed in treating the symptoms as we as the TSH, T3, and T4. With this out of the way the Endo was discussing my situation with me and the treatment she feels I need at this time and in the near future.

Ask your questions and make sure they know you are well versed in what is normal and optimal and that you want to treat your problem no matter what it takes. My youngest Aunt is just Graves, my mom and oldest aunt are Hashitoxicosis.. which is Graves with a side order of Hashi's. My pure Graves aunt is on AT drugs.. and keeps her TSH about 0.66 and tries to keep the FT3 and FT4 in mid to upper range. She had an uptake scan to determine activities and keeps a ultrasound watch on size and nodules. No biopsy as of yet, and refuses RAI as long as the AT drugs are working. When and if the AT drugs fail she has opted for surgical removal of the gland. My HT aunt and Hashi aunt are happiest with TSH's at .89 and 1.1 respectively. FT3 and FT4 work best for them in the mid to upper range as well.

So as to questions.. my GD aunt wanted to see about the need for a cardiac screening and with minimal thyroid enlargement wanted to trying medications versus nuking the pest.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 09-23-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
    waratah
    (female)

waratah HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dumossa View Post
    Hi there
    I'm to see my endocologist hopefully next week, for the first time and I am trying to put a list of questions together to ask him. I have a couple, mainly the most obvious ones, but are there any questions you asked your endo or would have liked to have asked, especially those with Graves disease? Sorry for being personal, I'm still new to all this and am finding it hard to absorb everything. I'd just like to go in there armed with some knowledge about thyroidism.
    Francine (dumossa)
    Hi dumossa, like you I'm a newbie too and live Sydney rural outskirts. I just wanted to ask you how you got on with accessing and medico orientation toward giving you information about what was happening? My expereince has been one of quite overt patronising disbelief. I gave well respected Endocrinologist diary of weekly symptoms, and he told me to stop medicalising my symptoms and as he's the doctor, and to let him make any diagnoses. Of course I fell silent - what else could I do? But I felt like I could have screamed the bloody place down, rung his neck, and and wiped that sanctimonious smile right off his face. Well now that's said, I really like your idea about getting a list of questions ready for the Endocinologist. So, I'm going to get one ready for my next appointment too. Many thanks, waratah

Old 09-23-2007, 09:25 PM   #5
    SouthChic
    (female)

SouthChic HB User

Most doctors in the U.S. push RAI very heavily and try to get their patients to undergo it ASAP. Do your research on the internet though.

Most doctors in Europe don't push RAI but favor maintenance on anti-thyroidal drugs (ATDs) because of the high rate of "spontaneous" remissions and the possibility that RAI causes permanent damage to the body and may significantly increase the risk of cancer.

I was diagnosed with Graves Disease in August and my Endo was pushing for RAI. However, my husband and I are against it after researching it and seeing that many people who have it eventually end up with thyroid or bowel cancer. Plus, my doc told me I cannot get pregnant for a year after RAI, and we were planning to have a baby within the next year.

Think about this for a moment. Thyroid disease is an auto-immune disease. That means your immune system has turned against your body for some reason, and in this case, it's attacking your thyroid. What Endocrinologists are doing by RAI (killing the thyroid) or surgery, they are just removing the part of the body the immune system is attacking and not fixing the cause of it.

I chose the anti-thyroid drugs, and I've only been using them since last Wednesday. I go back for blood tests the first of December to see if they are working, but I can already tell they are. I haven't had ANY symptoms like I was having before (heart palpitations at least 4-5 times a day, hand tremors, body feeling like it's shaking on the inside, fatigue, muscle aches, muscle weakness in thighs, etc...) I had many of the symptoms, but now I am feeling SO much better!

My advice would be to not let your Endo push RAI on you until you've researched it yourself. He/she will tell you it doesn't harm any other part of your body - that it goes straight to the thyroid, but if that's true, why are you not allowed to get pregnant for a year? Ask your doctor for the enormous list of things you have to do after RAI too. It's amazing.

Best of luck to you, Dumossa. Let us know how it goes at the doc.

Last edited by SouthChic; 09-23-2007 at 09:26 PM.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:41 PM   #6
    Dumossa
    (female)

Dumossa HB User

Hi there
    I'm back after a very long, rough couple of months. I went in to the endo armed with all my info and questions and he was really helpful and understanding.
    I told him I didn't want the RAI, he agreed, mainly because of my eye problem relating to Graves. I told him I was a bit apprehensive about surgery, He agreed, well at the moment anyway, he wants to try and put my spluttering thyroid to sleep or knock it on its back ( his words)by doubling my ptu doseage, and is starting me on a low dose of thyroid replacement tabs at the same time. I have only been on this for just under a week,and will take a couple of weeks to get into the system, so at the moment not sure how its going. Am having another blood test in three weeks time to see whats happening, then in to see him again. I really hope it works, i need a break from all the ups and downs!!!!!

Closed Thread