It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Breast pain and hypothyroid???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-17-2007, 08:16 AM   #1
    flbeachgirl
    (female)

flbeachgirl HB User
    Breast pain and hypothyroid???

Hi, I'm new to the boards, and have a few questions.
    A little background.....I am 47 years young, and had a laparoscopic hysterectomy 15 months ago with uterus removal only. At that time, my hormone levels indicated 'perimenopause' -
    I went to the gyn last week for my routine pap, and complained to her about what I assumed were minor menopausal symptoms; belly weight gain, breast pain, constipation, fatigue, sweating, etc. Upon examination she discovered a polyp on my cervix as well as an enlarged thyroid. She ran hormone tests as well as a thyroid test. I go back for my results on Wednesday.
    The biggest issue I have (besides the dreaded belly weight) is that my breasts are not just tender - they are downright painful. I have started taking evening primrose and I live on Advil - but it hasn't seemed to help much. Sometimes the pain is worse in my right breast, although both hurt. I was wondering if anyone else has had a thyroid issue and very painful breasts??? If so, once you are on thyroid medication, does the breast pain go away??? It's constant and really painful. Any other suggestions to relieve the pain would be much appreciated.
    Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2007, 04:17 PM   #2
    Barbara_Ann
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User
    Re: Breast pain and hypothyroid???

bumping this

I think for the most part each individual has an area or areas that they experience discomfort in. Often it will subside with thyroid hormone replacement but, not necessarily.

Your pain and area sure sound like it is hormonal.

I myself seem to wake up every other morning with horrid aches and pains in my feet and lower legs that go away as I start moving about. Curiosly enough, I didn't experience it until on medication. However, I don't attribute it to being on medication either. I just think it is my body's vulnerable area and where I am to date with this wonderful little disease.

Welcome to the board

Last edited by Barbara_Ann; 09-17-2007 at 04:19 PM.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:47 PM   #3
    desiii
    (female)

desiii HB User

Hehe, was just sharing with Barbara Anne in another thread about our experiences with low carb eating. So I'll share my favourite side effect of this kind of dieting here. Normally I have severe breast pain for a good two weeks of every month. Not just sore, but the shooting pains, and feeling like they'll rip right off, having to carry them around, wear a bra to bed, etc. Horrible stuff. But this past month, having eaten low carb, I only had a bit of mild discomfort for a couple of days just prior to TOM. A wonderful improvement that I was not expecting!

Anyway, your situation does sound hormonal. Since thyroid issues are also hormonal, and they're interconnected, it's hard to say which exactly is causing the problem for you. It could be an estrogen shift due to your surgery as well.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:46 PM   #4
    flbeachgirl
    (female)

flbeachgirl HB User

Thanks for your responses ladies.
    I'm going to the doctor for my results tomorrow. After reading some of the threads here, I'm concerned that they'll tell me my thyroid tests are normal even though she told me that my thyroid is enlarged, and I have many of the symptoms of hypothyroid. I guess I'll find out tomorrow....then I'll be back with more questions, I'm sure.

Thanks again.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:59 PM   #5
    waratah
    (female)

waratah HB User
    Question Re: Breast pain and hypothyroid???

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flbeachgirl View Post
    Hi, I'm new to the boards, and have a few questions.
    A little background.....I am 47 years young, and had a laparoscopic hysterectomy 15 months ago with uterus removal only. At that time, my hormone levels indicated 'perimenopause' -
    I went to the gyn last week for my routine pap, and complained to her about what I assumed were minor menopausal symptoms; belly weight gain, breast pain, constipation, fatigue, sweating, etc. Upon examination she discovered a polyp on my cervix as well as an enlarged thyroid. She ran hormone tests as well as a thyroid test. I go back for my results on Wednesday.
    The biggest issue I have (besides the dreaded belly weight) is that my breasts are not just tender - they are downright painful. I have started taking evening primrose and I live on Advil - but it hasn't seemed to help much. Sometimes the pain is worse in my right breast, although both hurt. I was wondering if anyone else has had a thyroid issue and very painful breasts??? If so, once you are on thyroid medication, does the breast pain go away??? It's constant and really painful. Any other suggestions to relieve the pain would be much appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Gee, hi flbeachgirl, I'm new to this, but I had to reply to your post on breast pain, and especially the right side breast. My goodness - mee tooo! Both sides are extremely tender to touch or when bumped, but right side very very painful. I wonder if the pain might be related to fluid retention in the cells? let me know what you think? Regards, Waratah

Old 09-24-2007, 07:49 PM   #6
    flbeachgirl
    (female)

flbeachgirl HB User

Well, I received my thyroid results - and they are only slightly elevated. She started me on a minimal dose of Armour, with a recheck in 6 weeks. I was surprised that I have an enlarged thyroid upon palpitation as well as many other symptoms, and my levels were only a few points above the norm?!?! My doctor explained to me that I can indeed have these symptoms with only minimally elevated levels, so that was comforting.....at least she doesn't think I'm crazy!!! Still she thought that synthroid was a bit more than I needed at this point.
    She also told me to try an over the counter progesterone cream to see if that helps with some of my symptoms.....I haven't started that yet as I'm a bit leary until I do some research on it. Anyone have any opinions???
    I've only been on the Armour for a few days.....but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that if it does nothing else for me, it will help ease this awful breast pain!!! I think I read somewhere that people have had success with the progesterone cream in aleviating their breast pain?!?!
    Any thoughts are very much appreciated.
    Thanks.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:02 AM   #7
    boata
    (female)

boata HB User

Hey - your doc is right on with the progesterone cream. I have had great success with it taking care of breast pain. And it's not something you will have to take forever. I keep some on hand and use it whenever they start to ache. You should know within a few days if it's going to help.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:44 AM   #8
    lookin4ward
    (female)

lookin4ward HB User

Hi flbeachgirl,
    I'm new here today, I just signed up to give you some more info about breast pain...I am also Hypothyroid but I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. I went to a surgeon this summer to have a lump biopsied in my breast. The told me it was a calcification not cancer thank God. But when I explained my super painful breasts, which I have almost always had and thought was completely normal, the surgeon suggested that I have Fibrocystic breast disease. Meaning constantly sore and lumpy tissue. Not just a symptom of pms or perimenapause etc... they have always been painful but I never knew that was odd. I guess I never asked. Anyway she prescribed not only evening primrose, but a recipe of 1000mg evening primrose, 1200mg calcium, and 400
    I.U. of vitamin E. all together at dinnertime. Some days the pain has lessened by at least 75% other days it is gone comeletely...Try it.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:24 AM   #9
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

When I was pre-menopausal, I had that too, and so did my friend, we were in our late forties at the time, really, really sore, it must have been hormonal. Or like when you have the fibro-cystic breasts, I think it's called, I had that.. but everything went away like that after the change! Thank God I got rid of something! Good luck hon!

Last edited by GravesGirl73; 09-25-2007 at 11:25 AM.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:22 PM   #10
    flbeachgirl
    (female)

flbeachgirl HB User

Thanks for the valuable info ladies.....I too have fibrocystic disease. Prior to my LSH surgery I always had painful breast prior to my period, but nothing like the discomfort I have now. At 47 years old, and based on my hormone levels, I am definitely peri-menopausal, so I assumed that part of the pain was due to my hormones being completely out of whack. I have been taking 1500 mg. of evening primrose oil for a few weeks in an effort to alleviate the discomfort, but will add to that the vitamin e and calcium - I'm pretty much willing to try anything at this point....can't hurt.
    I am still researching the natural progesterone cream...but based on what I've read so far, I think I'll be trying that in the near future too.
    I never thought I'd be saying this, but I can't wait to get on the other side of menopause and return to my old self!!!! Some days I'm feeling very old, crabby and tired - hopefully the Armour will kick in soon and help alleviate some of these crazy symptoms.
    Thanks again everyone....there's comfort in knowing that I'm not alone and can vent to people who understand.

Closed Thread